PC build on a $350 budget possible?

Thanks for all the information, people. I've been to my local computer shop and the guy there totally brought me up to speed with things. There were so many things I was unaware of. Let's go through this again.

1) The option of upgrading the i3-2100 - After asking for your advice, I've also talked to the shop clerk. He told me it would be unwise to sink any more money into my old rig because of the things you have told me. Old processors would still cost just as much, new CPUs have perks. So I'm no longer going to consider this an option.

2) New budget - new setup - After talking through a lot of things regarding hardware, I've changed my mind how I approach this. He suggested the following build (more or less). We still didn't talk about coolers. I don't think I will need a HDD in the case, since all of my media is stored on an external drive. The setup is closely following Deadpool's build, with minor changes (GTX-1060 as a better future investment, an SSD to speed up the machine's load times). https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MXbM6X

3) How much RAM - Seriously, even for my i3-2100 build I've bought 8 GB of RAM just to make sure I have enough. Should I go for 16 GB for a better future investment? Or as a more general question: how do you even decide how much RAM you're going to need?

4) The monitor - how quickly have times changed. Because of my new graphics card, I'm going to need a new monitor that supports HDMI. A VGA-to-HDMI converter would roughly cost me 1/3 of the price of a new monitor, so I would rather get a new monitor rather than a converter.

I am still going to use my i3-2100 since it's still better than my laptop, and I will save up for the i5 build.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Deadpool

No, no, no, no! If he told you you were going to spend the same on an old CPU he is a ****ing moron. The RX 480 is a much better investment than the 1060, so he is a moron again. Instead of buying that Sandisk SSD, get a 850 EVO, PNY 1311, Crucial MX300. 16Gb is the standard now. What monitor do you have? If it's 1080p then don´t change it. Unless you REALLY want more. How much can you spend on a converter? They come free with graphics cards!!!!

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
He would have to change his motherboard for that.
I was curious since the 3770 is listed as compatible, so there'd at least be Ivy related support. Why other specific models aren't on the list is odd to me as CPUID information for processor families is generally templated within the BIOS image.

No, no, no, no! If he told you you were going to spend the same on an old CPU he is a ****ing moron. The RX 480 is a much better investment than the 1060, so he is a moron again. Instead of buying that Sandisk SSD, get a 850 EVO, PNY 1311, Crucial MX300. 16Gb is the standard now. What monitor do you have? If it's 1080p then don´t change it. Unless you REALLY want more. How much can you spend on a converter? They come free with graphics cards!!!!

Is the RX 480 objectively better than the GTX-1060? I may reconsider it then. His only reasoning for the GTX is the sheer popularity of the card in their shop. He thinks that it is better for me to buy a card that is bought by many people, because then support for it will be certainly better - hence I would get more out of it.

I didn't point out that the Sandisk SSD was merely a placeholder for a ~265 SSD of any brand. I just picked an SSD thinking you would recommend a better one anyways.

If I recall correcly my monitor is an LG build, 21". It has a VGA / D-sub(?) port. Not sure if that is compatible with new cards. I have no clue about it being 1080p.

What do you mean converters come with free graphics cards? Isn't it just a plug with two ends?

EDIT: Going back and forth with you guys makes it easier for me to decide on this build. It's still not set in stone.

Deadpool

Is the RX 480 objectively better than the GTX-1060?

It´s not better... yet. It´ll be better in a couple of months when drivers improve. Right now is better in some DX12 and Vulkan games. Also has 8Gb of VRAM (vs 6Gb) and Crossfire support (vs no SLI support).

I didn't point out that the Sandisk SSD was merely a placeholder for a ~265 SSD of any brand. I just picked an SSD thinking you would recommend a better one anyways.

My bad then, sir.

What do you mean converters come with free graphics cards? Isn't it just a plug with two ends?

Yes. I have 3 of them and I never bought even 1.

26b6f620-970f-4772-883e-8373023a36c6_1.cfa2e0765e8a02cc906b26d5443c5e2a.jpeg

If I recall correcly my monitor is an LG build, 21". It has a VGA / D-sub(?) port. Not sure if that is compatible with new cards. I have no clue about it being 1080p.

VGA can be converted to DVI and it´ll be compatible, no problem.

It is true that new build come with perks. DDR4 RAM, PCIE 3.0, etc. But your build can still las a bit if you want it to. It has PCIE 2.0 x16 and DDR3 RAM. Take a look at this:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6400-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3770/3512vs1979

Comparison with the one you want, and one that we recommended and your motherboard supports.

It´s not better... yet. It´ll be better in a couple of months when drivers improve. Right now is better in some DX12 and Vulkan games. Also has 8Gb of VRAM (vs 6Gb) and Crossfire support (vs no SLI support).

Well, I still have to figure how I am going to pay for all of this. I am not in a hurry to buy.

Just out of curiousity: why is he saying that the GTX-1060 is better? Or why are people recommending this video card? I have a Radeon card in my i3-2100 and I never had any problems with it. Is there any reason for me to get a GTX?

VGA can be converted to DVI and it´ll be compatible, no problem.

I'll consider it, but is the converter cheap?

As for the benchmark, we never discussed i7 builds, did we?

Deadpool

Just out of curiousity: why is he saying that the GTX-1060 is better? Or why are people recommending this video card? I have a Radeon card in my i3-2100 and I never had any problems with it. Is there any reason for me to get a GTX?

Who is recommending the 1060? It is a good choice but the 480 is a better investment.

I'll consider it, but is the converter cheap?

$5-6? I don´t know. Search Amazon or ebay

?As for the benchmark, we never discussed i7 builds, did we?

I don´t understand. What would be the problem?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3550/3512vsm846

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...254862?hash=item4b11725d4e:g:uhAAAOSwjDZYcB-b

$80 and you´d be getting something just like the CPU you want. And it´s an I5.

Who is recommending the 1060?

One of my friends and the shop clerk.

I don´t understand. What would be the problem?

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3550/3512vsm846

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...254862?hash=item4b11725d4e:g:uhAAAOSwjDZYcB-b

$80 and you´d be getting something just like the CPU you want. And it´s an I5.

I don't understand why you are showing me these benchmarks. I just want an i5. But now I need to mention that the clerk recommended the i5-6400 over the 6500 because it would be a bit cheaper and the difference is negligible. Thoughts? I don't know how much credit I should give him.

And why are you suggesting the 3550 all of a sudden?

Deadpool

One of my friends and the shop clerk.

I don't understand why you are showing me these benchmarks. I just want an i5. But now I need to mention that the clerk recommended the i5-6400 over the 6500 because it would be a bit cheaper and the difference is negligible. Thoughts? I don't know how much credit I should give him.

And why are you suggesting the 3550 all of a sudden?

Dude what thread have you been reading? We´ve been recommending 3rd gen processors for like 10 posts! Your guy said that old CPUs are expensive and not worth the money, I´m saying the opposite. That´s why I´m showing you the benchs! And the one in the benchmark is an I5!!! I´m pretty confused here pal.

Oh, I think we had some miscommunication here. Initially, I wanted to upgrade my old rig. But as the conversation went on, the topic of the thread gradually changed. I'd rather spend my money on a new system.

But the GTX-1060 vs RX480 is the one that's really getting to me. The GTX is better at the present (DX11), but the RX480 will be eventually better because DX12 /Vulkan support will be eventually better? (is this an assumption or the way things will be?)

Deadpool

EDIT: Going back and forth with you guys makes it easier for me to decide on this build. It's still not set in stone.

I thought that meant you still hadn´t decided if you were going to update or just buy a new system.

Oh, I think we had some miscommunication here. Initially, I wanted to upgrade my old rig. But as the conversation went on, the topic of the thread gradually changed. I'd rather spend my money on a new system.

But the GTX-1060 vs RX480 is the one that's really getting to me. The GTX is better at the present (DX11), but the RX480 will be eventually better because DX12 /Vulkan support will be eventually better? (is this an assumption or the way things will be?)

If you are decided to upgrade, my last build would be a good starting point. The GTX is better (in most cases) now. Will be better in the future when more games start using DX12 and such. Besides the RX series are very new, so drivers are still in developement. Everyone nowadays will tell you to get the 8Gb 480 over the 1060. Nvidia is, and will always be overpriced. If you are looking for a high end build, go Nvidia, if not, as a general rule, go AMD. The same goes for CPUs. Not right now of course, because AMD is a bit behind now, but it´ll get better.

Yes, that build is a very good starting point. I gained a lot of new information from this thread. It is obvious that I am way behind on new trends in the tech world.

Now I have a better picture about what I want. Now I just need to get the $$$. :)

I have read the specs on both the GTX 1060 and the RX 480. Both of them support Vulkan and DX12, so I don't understand the difference. RX 480 does better in some games. How do I make up my mind?

Deadpool

I have read the specs on both the GTX 1060 and the RX 480. Both of them support Vulkan and DX12, so I don't understand the difference. RX 480 does better in some games. How do I make up my mind?

Easy: The 480 has 8Gb VRAM and Crossfire support. And it´s $20-30 less.