PC Gaming vs Console Gaming

Xeqtr

So I was having an argument with a friend between console gaming and PC gaming, me in favor of console gaming, and I couldn't really come up with anything besides, more people in our school have xbox 360 than pc games.

His main argument was that when the next gen comes out for console, then I have to completely buy a new console, but for PC's you can just upgrade if your computer doesn't meet the requirements, better graphics and FPS, and with a PC you can download games for free and hack shit, but you can't do much on a console.

I now support PC gaming, because I just built one today, but I wat to know what you guy's support and your main reason for it

kobaj

VIP Member
99 percent of this forum is going to say pc gaming. Granted, I could argue both ways Im just gunna leave it at this (woot, this is gunna start a flame war).

Xbox360:
Halo3 (until it comes out on pc)

PC:
cod4 (until it...wait...it is out on 360 >.>).

Im just saying each system has their games, who cares whatever someone thinks is better, go play the damn game and have fun :D.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
His main argument was that when the next gen comes out for console, then I have to completely buy a new console, but for PC's you can just upgrade if your computer doesn't meet the requirements, better graphics and FPS, and with a PC you can download games for free and hack shit, but you can't do much on a console.

His first argument is lacking; consoles last a good half decade, while providing graphics comparable to a PC, the end of the consoles life tends to coagulate such end results though. A top of the end PC will last maybe 3 years give or take, and depending on your willingness to play games at medium or low settings. Then you don't just upgrade a single part, many times the motherboard, RAM, CPU, GPU, PSU, etc need to be upgraded all at once, lest bottlenecking occur. In this case you'd have to shell out alot of cash to get back on top. PC gaming does produce an extremely more variable experience though, along with modding games for better longevity and fun factor, and Piracy is extremely prevalent. Consoles tend to be a more static experience, with none of the extra PC trademarks (except as of late with webrowsing and the like). But the fact that the console last longer, have a larger demographic and audience, which tends to increase the conversational aspect and online gaming experience, and requires little extra upkeep, and sports a much lower end-pricetag, makes up for it's shortcomings when compared to the PC. :cool:

In the end though,
go play the damn game and have fun .

is the most important part. Have fun with whatever you choose, they're both great!

shenry

I don't know why but I just like PC gaming tons more. Probably 'cos I use my PC for other things as well as gaming but still. Plus I find lan partys with PC's funner than with consoles. But like kobaj said the main thing is having fun!

Last edited:

Candy

i never really got into console gaming cos i wasnt allowed to as a kid so i never really got the hang of the the whole gamepad thing.

so personally i would have to say pc gaming. also u can get xbox 360 controllers for pc now cant u? so not only can u do all the other great things on a pc but its easier for console games to convert :)

Smashkirby

Well, you can use the mouse and keyboard on the 360 using a special device too. I honestly like PC gaming better. Just the ability to be fully custimizable with mods, addons, hardware, and applications for your gaming experience makes computer gaming never get old. :)

jamesy

I use my PS2 for playing games (only because my pc isn't that great for gaming), but I do prefer PC gaming. Even though if I wanted to build a PC that was as good as a PS3 it'd cost me about AU$10,000 (there or there abouts) PC gaming feels more enjoyable than console gaming.

nikopolidis

I don't think PC gaming is more enjoyable than console gaming. It depends on type of the game. Playing strategies is definitely better on PC. I think PC gaming is more accessible. PS CDs is much more expensive, particularly in Russia.

hNic

i agree nik...it depends WHAT you play on what platform....RPG and strat games i would say PC simply because a controller isn't as "flexible" (lack of a better word) than a keyboard.....sports games i would give to consoles cuz it's the opposite of strat games...you just need the basic functions....FPS is a toss up...i would play CS Source all nite on a PC but wouldn't touch COD4 unless on PS3...but that's just me

tlarkin

VIP Member
PC gaming is cutting edge always with the newest technology, so it has its place. Console gaming is platform gaming, designed for one function, to play games. So it also has its place. IMO, I would rather play racing, fighting and third person games on a console, and I would rather play first person games on a PC. That is my preference.

I do think that consoles are getting better and better each release and someday could replace the PC for gaming, I mean there is more money in consoles than there is in PC gaming. So the business could shift that way since its a more stable market.

PohTayToez

I've always preferred console gaming for a few reasons....

1.)I'm CHEAP. While the gap gets smaller and smaller each year, consoles are still the more affordable gaming platform all around.

2.)While I'm not saying that playing online with thousands of other people isn't fun, there is something to be said about a good 'ole game of 4 player Super Smash Brothers Melee or Mario Kart with 3 of your best friends all on the same screen. To get a similar experience with computer's you'll need 4 of them, a router, and a whole lot of room.

3.)With innovations such as the Wiimote and the suckier but still kinda cool sixaxis, you really can't find a comparable experience on a computer.

That being said, I'm still always up for a game of Counter Strike or MOH on the computer, and you really can't beat the computer for RTS. I'm not against PC gaming, I just favor the console.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ah yes, I forgot to add, RTS is crap on a console as of now. So, I want to change my opinion to FPS + RTS for the PC and the rest I could play on a console.

However, I got rainbow six vegas on my 360 and found it to be totally awesome for an FPS on a console.

newguy5

about the best game ever is mario kart for n64, playing 4 way battle baby. and zelda ocarina of time was the best game ever invented. but i haven't bought a console since the n64. i really don't play many games. i find pc games are simpler to play and more justifiable in my mind because i have to have a pc anyway, so may as well splurge the $40 here and there on a game. a console i would have to spend $$ on, and if i played it as seldom as i play computer games i would often feel like i wasted money. pc is just more practical for me...i never feel like i wasted money on that thing.

teamhex

Im sorry but for flexiablity, pc is king. Consoles are great...theres no upgrades really needed until you have to buy a whole new console...which are getting to be the same price as pcs. Pcs will always be better because they are easy to customize and upgrade. You cant easily do anything to a console. This has always been a great debate, and IMO games are games...execept fps'rs on consoles.....stupid idea if you ask me(unless a mouse is used)(execept rainbow6vegas). Only reason Id buy a console(ps3) at the moment is because of a blu ray player....no other reason.

Last edited:

zaroba

i've said it in many other topics, and i'll say it here.
what exactly is there to compare?

1. hundreds of controller styles to choose from. plus, nearly every counsel controller has a pc usb/bluetooth replica. for counsel you have a small selection of controllers to use which are made for that counsel.
2. a pc will let you play EVERY pc game since they were first invented, easily hundreds of thousands of games, if not millions. a counsel will only let you play the games made for that counsel, often not even over a thousand. a pc can also play counsel games if you have an emulator.
3. theres also the fact that while not every game is on every counsel, most counsel games are also available on pc.
4. a pc has better graphic detail then a counsel. before anybody says otherwise, look at the resolutions. nearly every tv on the market has is a resolution 1024x768 or smaller. even high def tvs have a height of less then 768 pixels. and even the newest lcd and plasma tvs. a computer monitor can provide a higher resolution for gaming (whats the standard now? 1280x1024?). more pixels = more detail can be shown.
5. as others have said, modding. you can mod many pc games to offer nearly unlimited replayability. some games even have mods to make them MORE detailed and graphical then when you first install them.
6. game cost. PC games are often cheaper to buy, and as others have already said, there is piracy.
7. long lasting. yea, a counsel might last 5 years, then what? you have to buy a new counsel and all new games. a pc might need to be completely replaced for newer games, but guess what, you can still play the older games on it.
8. you can do many more things besides gaming on a pc.

so let me ask you...
what exactly is there to debate about?
the only thing a counsel has on a pc is its lower cost.

as for things i didn't mention that people might think benefit counsels..
you can use a recliner or sofa with a pc too.
you can use wireless controllers with a pc too.
you can use a pc with a high definition tv too.
did i forget anything?

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, I would rather play racing, fighting and third person games on a console, and I would rather play first person games on a PC. That is my preference.

Exactly. It's impossible to play a first person shooter on my PS3. It takes me like five minutes to aim, lol. :eek: All other genres are great, though.