Pc just refuses to restart

Tapir

Got this A7N8X Asus board. When you start it first time for the day it is okay but if I install a program that asks for restart it just does not do so. Bios 1007, changed mem, key board, mouse. It takes up to 6 hours before it starts again. Have Reset bios, reinstalled windows xp. This also happens when I do a full shutdown.
Any suggestions?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1 There might be a newer BIOS update
2. Try using the failsafe settings in BIOS?

Tapir

Did the setting of failsafe this afternoon. Once it starts I can use it days on end and no problem.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Glad I could help! :) Now if you want, go through the BIOS and look for optimizations because failsafe sometimes disables a lot of perofmrnace options -- do the adjustments slowly and one at a time with testing and you'll be fine! :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. I wouldnt think so but anything could happen
2. The "failsafe" settings should be fine for most users who rarely max out the system but i just suggested you go through the BIOS and optimize stuff if you are the type to like to squeeze as much as you can. Try using the Performance Defaults and see if it still boots ... that would save work optimizing stuff :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally yes :) With PC2700 you can OC it to PC3200 and get the most longevity from the board for the least cost :)

Blind_Arrow

I had similar problems when I bought the A7N8X for the first time, Got things solved up on Upgrading BIOS, as it is said, do not upgrade BIOS unless until you are having problems, thats what I did this time :). try degrading your BIOS. and lets see what happens, also which manufacturer's RAM you are using? Memory is very very crucial part of system stability.

Tapir

Mem is crucial.

I have taken the bios forward and backwards 3 times, back to 1002 then back to 1004 etc. To no avail.Tried other brands mem also.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Dont take the BIOS backwards.... they dont like that much .... but yeah, I'd just grab a new board .... goto the store and get them to just swap it for ya :)

Tapir

It is not so easy here in Belize. I buy all my stuff from Tiger Direct out of florida. So my boards are normally ahead of the game here.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm .... I'm inclined to think that the problem is the board although it seems to "simple" of an analysis. :S

Tapir

These are my Bios settings:

ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES:
CPU external freq - 133
cpu freq multiple setting - auto
cpu freq multiple 13.5
system performance - optimal
cpu interface - optimal
memory freq - spd.....
graphics aperture size - 64m
agp freq - auto

all others on this page are default

INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS

Primary vga bios - agp vga

"spd" may have to be auto ???

Tapir

Praetor said:
Any luck if you put the BIOS to failsafes? :)

Just to make sure we are talking same language - you mean default right?

Strange thing happen last night. We had 2 power failure between 5 pm and 9 pm. (The Pc just shut down - ups apparently no good.) However, each time the power came on back I pressed the start switch and bingo it booted. Normally it would take up to 6 hours before it could start again. Would it have something to do with the windows shut down? Bear in mind that if I start it with startup disk and try to reboot it will not.