Pc just refuses to restart

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Just to make sure we are talking same language - you mean default right?
Yeah there may be multiple defaul options, one of them for "performance" settings and one for "bare minimum" settings :)

Tapir

Check my temp last night and found it to be 85c - cpu mobo 75c????

Opened case took out fan/heatsink Many of the "ribs??" are bent leaning to one side.

Tapir

Get this bios error message. Case open.... System was improperly shutdown and restarting in safe mode...... Something close to that.

Edit: Have assembled it outside the case and get same message.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Check my temp last night and found it to be 85c - cpu mobo 75c????
Opened case took out fan/heatsink Many of the "ribs??" are bent leaning to one side.
WHOA DUDE! *get a new HSF!!!* eeek!

- Just for reference sake, what's the ambient temperature?
- 85°C for the CPU, depending on the specific chip, isnt lethal, for some chips it is. Something you should be very concerned over

Tapir

Just replaced HSF. Vid card replaced. CPu rerplaced. Only thing not replaced is ther Bios! Might just do that. I have 2 weeks to experiment.

Tapir

Praetor said:
- What did you replace it from/to?
- Belize .... that's south america isnt it? What's the ambient temperature??

:)

Ambient temp these days is around 88 degrees F. in the day and about 79 at nights.

Asus probe keeps giving eratic temp info. At times it reads the mobo, and cpu then at times it says n\a.

Same thing with fans. Will try MBM.

Houw about bios replacement?

This where we are:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/central_america/belize/belize.htm

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ambient temp these days is around 88 degrees F. in the day and about 79 at nights.
That would definitely account for some of the temps you're reading

Asus probe keeps giving eratic temp info. At times it reads the mobo, and cpu then at times it says n\a.
That happens to me from time to time; MBM is a good alternative when Probe "acts up"

Houw about bios replacement?
Dunno, I dont even have a floppy so i cant do (nor would i)

Tapir

Was actually referring to the bios chip itsef. I have read that these can be replace. When i look at the board it looks so.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Was actually referring to the bios chip itsef. I have read that these can be replace. When I look at the board it looks so.
Dont think it's possible by average Joe's but maybe i dunno. I woulndt think so;

tristan

replacing the bios chip is simple, just finding a place that will swap or that you can get one is the hard part. if I were you I would see about RMA'ing the mobo, if possible. That was definately way too hot, what are the temps now?

Tapir

To rma i need to send it to a agent in miami who bought it for me and extra courier costs etc. I have identified where i can get the bios but gain getting it down here may be a problem.

For the moment i do not use it during the day as temp is too high at 89 to 92 f.

Last night it was: cpu = 42c mobo = 41c asus probe and mbm show the same.

tristan

Those temperatures are fine. If you have money I would just get a new mobo, because I am not really convinced its the bios, but it IS possible. I just dont understand the randomness. And dont know if its worth the trouble of sending yours, waiting, getting a replacement, and then finding it wasnt even the bios chip.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah those temps arent too bad ... actually they are very similar to the one's we're getting now (the ambient temps) :)

Tapir

I am nnot sure it is the bios either. But I have this thing that I do not allow things to beat me.

Once I turn on the pc it gives no problem. I can do what I want with it. That is - just don't try to restart it.

New board should be here friday.

tristan

hehe i know what you mean. I would want to make sure I tried everything in my power to fix it before I fall in and just rma it. Good effort man..

Tapir

I opted for the p4c800e- 875p deluxe. With 2.8 cpu, pc3200+ mem and the asus fx video card from a store in canada. The rest will pick up locally. Should be kicking by Sat night

Tapir

Hotflash

No I don't. I have tried to do it but do not have a substitute. I have a MSI 6373. I am not sure if that is one. I think it is also an nforce 2 board???

Edit: Would the markings on the bios be the same?

Last edited:

tristan

I would just look at both. I really dont know off hand if they are compatible, I wouldnt expect so though.