PC Pleb needs your help

mistersprinkles

I don't know why people are telling you that this system will only get you mid-range performance. In actuality, overclocked to a nice 4.5Ghz, your i5 will be as powerful as a modern i5 non K CPU. The only bottleneck on that system is that you are limited to PCIE 2.0 due to the crappy motherboard. With a mid-range GPU that shouldn't hurt you.

Get yourself a good CPU cooler such as a liquid AIO cooler (make sure it will fit your case. Most cases will fit the 120mm coolers, not all cases will fit the 240/280++mm coolers). A corsair H80i GTX would be a good bet. If you prefer not to have liquid cooling, pick up a decent air cooler. Even a cheap cooler like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 will make a real difference and allow you to overclock significantly.

I suggest that you get either a GTX 1060 or an RX 480 video card. Do not get the "reference" coolers (the ones with a single blower fan). Opt for a custom cooler such as an MSi Twin Frozr, a Gigabyte Windforce, an ASUS Strix, etc etc. These cards are not only a few bucks cheaper (usually), they also offer better cooling and often, quieter operation.

If I were in your shoes I would pick up a Hyper 212 cooler and a GTX 1060 GPU and call it a day.

Yes, you will definitely get 60FPS in most games no problem. Don't go nuts with anisotropic filtering and anti aliasing, and stick to high (rather than ultra) settings and pretty much anything will run at 60FPS for you especially if you are playing at 1080P resolution.

I hope this helps.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I don't know why people are telling you that this system will only get you mid-range performance. In actuality, overclocked to a nice 4.5Ghz, your i5 will be as powerful as a modern i5 non K CPU. The only bottleneck on that system is that you are limited to PCIE 2.0 due to the crappy motherboard. With a mid-range GPU that shouldn't hurt you.
WTF are you on about? No one here... I mean NO ONE here mentioned anything about his PC only getting mid-range performance out of his CPU. The OP is the only person who mentioned that he is afraid that his i5 will bottleneck if he grabs an overkill GPU.

Mattels07

RX 480 or the GTX 1060 are for sure in your market. If you have no desire to wait around for items to be in stock, a GTX 1060 would work best.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForc...=UTF8&qid=1469327343&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+1060

The Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 comes out this week unannounced. I've taken on the strategy of calling stores at opening and close to get updates, as I expect them to sell out quickly.

The GTX 1060 is impossible to find, and the places that currently have it are charging up to twice the MSRP...

Here are the cards that I can find that are available now
GTX 970
R9 -290
GTX 780TI

Any opinions on these cards?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Mattels07

1060 just came out recently. RX 480 is also out of stock due to the demand.

You'll just have to wait a bit.

Enlist the help with this website.
https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/

Register an account there to get their email notifications and/or use their browser alert system for live (every 60 seconds) updates on availability of the product.
So I found a card, but it is the "mini" card with 1 fan - is that a big deal?

Mattels07

Well I ended up buying it.. It popped up on Ebay as a new listing with only two left - 6 already being sold.

ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB GDDR5

From the time of typing this first sentence and then going to check to get the URL thy have since sold out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ZOTAC-N...DR5-DVI-HDMI-3DisplayPort-pci-e-/381712423746

The price is roughly the MSRP plus tax and free shipping - so it was a decent deal for something that seems to be sold out everywhere and in high demand. It was a knee jerk - impulse buy, but as of this typing I dont have buyer's remorse - yet. How did I do? Don't be too harsh.. haha

Intel_man

VIP Member
The single fan should be sufficient cooling for the 1060. The fan will probably fun a bit faster (louder) than a regular length card.

Good buy though.

Mattels07

Thanks for your help guys. I am ready to get my GPU and see what she can do. I also got my power supply from Amazon today and got the CPU to post - so it is looking like that turned out to be a decent buy.

So at the end of the day I will have -

- I5-3570K
- ASROCK H61M/US3S MicroATX Motherboard
- Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM
- ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
- Intel 80gb SSD
- 2 TB Seagate HD
- EVGA 500 B1 80+ BRONZE PSU
- New case, and new keyboard/mouse (both unremarkable)

All for under $500.

What do you guys think I should be looking to upgrade first?

Mattels07

No.. Bought the SSD on ebay, and the hard drive off of a guy on craigslist.. 20 bucks for the SSD, and 15 bucks for the 2tb HD.

mistersprinkles

80GB is fine for an OS drive dude. As long as nothing else goes on it.

The used HDD concerns me. Friends don't let friends buy used hard drives. Run chkdsk with repair as well as crystal disk info on that drive after you assemble the PC. Not a bad idea to run Memtest 86 (bootable) also, just to make sure everything checks out.

The EVGA B1 power supplies are terrible (Watch, there will be a reply after mine from somebody going DERP ALL EVGA POWER SUPPLIES IS AWESOME!!! But that is not the case.). The EVGA B1 is worse than Corsair CX, which itself is not terrific. But hey, I'm using a CX, so it must not be that terrible.

Nothing will explode though don't worry. You don't have a high power draw system.

Don't build on carpet. Get a magnetized Phillips #2 screwdriver.

Laquer Head

80GB is fine for an OS drive dude. As long as nothing else goes on it..

Exactly my point, fool

The EVGA B1 power supplies are terrible (Watch, there will be a reply after mine from somebody going DERP ALL EVGA POWER SUPPLIES IS AWESOME!!! But that is not the case.). The EVGA B1 is worse than Corsair CX, which itself is not terrific. But hey, I'm using a CX, so it must not be that terrible..

LMAO...wrong brand fool

Last edited by a moderator:

mistersprinkles

You must have a very small amount of self esteem to have called me a fool twice, and one additional time as a meme.... for no good reason whatsoever.

CX is bad. But I have one. Is it horrendous? No. Is it good? No. Are there better PSU for the price? Yes. Absolutely.

Is EVGA B1 bad? Yes. Are there worse PSUs? Yes, but for the price of a B1 you can do better than a B1. And B1 is worse than CX. Both are bad, but B1 is worse.

Don't insult people for no reason. It makes you seem tiny, sad, and immature, and gains you no respect or friends.

I'm picturing a 15 year old boy sitting at a wooden desk with a straight back wooden chair in his jogging pants eating cheetos and getting off on belittling people without cause on the interwebs.

Darren

Staff member
It's times like these when @Darren should have agreeed to that paging system I proposed, so we can be summoning him when AMD issues arise!
You called?

270X isn't bad for $80 but if you can afford a better card I'd save some more for that as you'll be disappointed with the performance out of that before too long.

Edit: I clearly didn't read the rest of the thread so my comment is no irrelevant. :D

Mattels07

You called?

270X isn't bad for $80 but if you can afford a better card I'd save some more for that as you'll be disappointed with the performance out of that before too long.

Edit: I clearly didn't read the rest of the thread so my comment is no irrelevant. :D

Haha, thanks.. I ended up going with a ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - sorry I didn't get something from your beloved AMD!

80GB on the SSD is too small in my opinion for the O/S drive... even 120GB is considered small now..

I just bought the 80GB because it was really cheap.. I have never run an SSD before, and - initially, am only going to use it to boot from... I will probably end up upgrading this at some point, but I think it will be "okay" to start out with.

80GB is fine for an OS drive dude. As long as nothing else goes on it.

The used HDD concerns me. Friends don't let friends buy used hard drives. Run chkdsk with repair as well as crystal disk info on that drive after you assemble the PC. Not a bad idea to run Memtest 86 (bootable) also, just to make sure everything checks out.

The EVGA B1 power supplies are terrible (Watch, there will be a reply after mine from somebody going DERP ALL EVGA POWER SUPPLIES IS AWESOME!!! But that is not the case.). The EVGA B1 is worse than Corsair CX, which itself is not terrific. But hey, I'm using a CX, so it must not be that terrible.

Nothing will explode though don't worry. You don't have a high power draw system.

Don't build on carpet. Get a magnetized Phillips #2 screwdriver.

The PSU I bought was only 39.99 on Amazon with free shipping, and has good reviews.. It might not be the best out there, but for 40 bucks it is good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

mistersprinkles

It has good reviews from people who don't know what a good power supply is. Don't get me wrong, it's better than a diablotek, it's just not great. Like I said nothing will blow up. You will be ok.