PC screwed?

kalson

ok heres da story, i was goin to install an extra cd drom drive on my pc, so i turned off my pc unplugged everything, after i installed da cd rom drive, i plugged everything bak in turned on da pc, it would jus run but the monitor wont turn on and da floopy drive light would stay on the hole time, i had dis problem b4 when installin a floopy drive but after i pulled out my 512 ram stick it would work but now still doesnt work, i felt the CPU cooler it was hot, but then i took it out and felt da cpu, it wasnt, the mobo cooling wasnt hot as well, wat could b the cause????? :confused:

kalson

i dun think its da psu , last week when i was installin a new floppy drive same problem , unpluggged 512 ram of stick, turned pc on works good, turned off pc, put bak 512, works again
how did i make it boot from cd? :confused:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
i almost had the same identical problem but i did a bit more moving with my computer...I changed it to a new case and it fried cuz i forgot about the spacers behind mb. Did you do something to the mb by accident when you opened the computer up?

kalson

nope not dat i can think off i dunt think i did n e thing do da mobo... wat else could cause the problem?>??

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
post your computer specs. and can i ask a favour, can you type in full words instead of lik dis cuz it gets annoying to read

kalson

ok then, CPU: P4 3.2ghz Presscot Mobo: Asus P4P800S-X Videocard: ATI RADEON 9800PRO RAM: 768 Kingston DDR400 PSU: *new* Enermax 535W HARDDRIVE: SEAGATE 80GB 2mb 7200RPM

edit: i think da mobo is fried cuz like when i turned on da pc, i put my hand on the CPU heatsink it was very hot, then i put my hand on the other heatsink dats on the motherboard, dats very hot too, either my mobo or cpu is fried :( not sure , can n e 1 confirm dis?

kobaj

VIP Member
elmarcorulz said:
And can i ask a favour, can you type in full words instead of lik dis cuz it gets annoying to read

kalson said:
Nope, not that I can think of. I don't think I did any thing to the mobo... What else could cause the problem???

Lol, sorry had too. I had this problem with a floppy before, turns out the plug was in backwords. See if you had plugged anything in wrong, then check again, and finaly again. Ya never know.

EDIT: I was too late...but Your cpu and gpu should be a little hot but not burning. If you can hold your hand on it for at least 5 seconds your ok with your HS.

kalson

well i can hold on hand on the CPU heatsink for aslong as i want but its jus dat it seems hot so does the heatsink on the motherboard dats ontop of the via chipset? my videocard not sure if dats da problem im goin to test my video card on another pc

kobaj

VIP Member
Ya take apart your pc to the bare minumum, no cd drives and if you have a second thing of ram try that. Also no cards unless absolutly neaded. And dont plug any usb things in or what not...I think you get the idea. and see if it works then.

Last edited:

kalson

nope doesnt work at all, then i took out my old pc video card, 9250, tried it on my P4 doesnt work also, then when i plugged it bak on my old pc, IT DOESNT WORK, WATS GOIN ON!!!! T.T everythingseems to b fallin apart

kobaj

VIP Member
lol, sounds like the harddrive fried your card then your card fried the other pc. Or in a strange sci-fi way there is a VIRUS spreading that is gunna take over all the worlds pc's.

kalson

...... ur kiddin rite? and then jus now i booted da old pc it works again wit da old card, then i turned it off unplugged da 9250 plugged in the 9800pro doesnt work again, unplugged 9800 pro then plugged in da 9250 bak, doesnt work n e more... wats goin on .... would my new PSU b defective?

kobaj

VIP Member
dood, ur psu culd nt mes up both pcs. it myt hav mesd up the card nd the card is mesing up the othr cumps.

Gawd that was hard. How the hell do you type like that.

kalson

eh no idea but rite now both pcs are screwed up and uno wats the cause and how to fix it... the monitor says no signal... wat could b wrong man... dis is pissin

kalson

how else can i tell if my video card is fried? is da 9800pro and da 9250 both fried? hope not...