PC vs xbox

CrazyMike

New to this site and this is the first i see!!

Well, first off i would like to say I am new to this site. Thought i would join a computer forum so that any problems or questions i have i can take it to you guys to help answer them.

I just cannot believe that this is the first thing i see in the forums. PC vs Xbox? are you serious? I love playing games. I have not only a gaming PC (not the highest of tech but deffinately does it's job), a gaming Laptop (brand new and loving it), a Xbox 360, and a Playstation 3. Now i would concider myself a little... mmm... nerdy i guess you could say. I'm not the smartest or up on all the computer lingo, but i do love my gadgets and love creating powerful machines that are not only fast but high performance too.

To get at the question 'PC vs Xbox' seems to me to be retarded beyond levels. The way i look at it, all councils are computers. These computers are specially designed for a specific reason, high performance in gaming, movies, and lately social networking. In my opinion, when a person goes and buys an Xbox or PS3, they are ultimately buying a branded piece of machine. This can be compared to as a person going out and buying a branded computer such as HP or Asus. Already prebuilt and ready to go, and to make matters worse no choice in hardware or software. Computers on the other hand can be built from scratch. You can put absolutely anything you wish into the computer (given the compatability issue) and install any type of software.

So when people ask the question 'PC vs Xbox', i really do hope they are not talking about performance or any specific in that aspect. It boggles my mind that people ask this question and don't see that PC's are not even comparable to a council. Not only does a person have their choice in hardware and software, but much more tasks can be achieved with a PC. Need i mention the best words ever "Dedicated Server".

Not much more can be said about this, but i am sure that some of you will reply in distaste of my message. On to the next stupid posting.

Okedokey

Well, first off i would like to say I am new to this site. Thought i would join a computer forum so that any problems or questions i have i can take it to you guys to help answer them.

I just cannot believe that this is the first thing i see in the forums. PC vs Xbox? are you serious? I love playing games. I have not only a gaming PC (not the highest of tech but deffinately does it's job), a gaming Laptop (brand new and loving it), a Xbox 360, and a Playstation 3. Now i would concider myself a little... mmm... nerdy i guess you could say. I'm not the smartest or up on all the computer lingo, but i do love my gadgets and love creating powerful machines that are not only fast but high performance too.

To get at the question 'PC vs Xbox' seems to me to be retarded beyond levels. The way i look at it, all councils are computers. These computers are specially designed for a specific reason, high performance in gaming, movies, and lately social networking. In my opinion, when a person goes and buys an Xbox or PS3, they are ultimately buying a branded piece of machine. This can be compared to as a person going out and buying a branded computer such as HP or Asus. Already prebuilt and ready to go, and to make matters worse no choice in hardware or software. Computers on the other hand can be built from scratch. You can put absolutely anything you wish into the computer (given the compatability issue) and install any type of software.

So when people ask the question 'PC vs Xbox', i really do hope they are not talking about performance or any specific in that aspect. It boggles my mind that people ask this question and don't see that PC's are not even comparable to a council. Not only does a person have their choice in hardware and software, but much more tasks can be achieved with a PC. Need i mention the best words ever "Dedicated Server".

Not much more can be said about this, but i am sure that some of you will reply in distaste of my message. On to the next stupid posting.

Wow, nice way to join a community.

Call those who see it different to you as stupid or retarded. LOL

Coming from the guy who spells console - "council" and then many other spelling issues (bolded) LOL :eek: I say it is you who may need special schooling sir.

Im not the smartest...

agreed.

Its a fair question posed by the OP. Pull your head in mate, introduce yourself, post your system, get to know people etc before you think you can just call poeple stupid. What a fitting way to post my 2k post.

Last edited:

CrazyMike

Wow, nice way to join a community.

Call those who disagree with you as stupid. LOL

Coming from the guy who spells console - council LOL :eek:

Its a fair question even though i agree with you. Pull your head in mate, introduce yourself, post your system, get to know people etc before you think you can just call poeple stupid.

That was a quick reply. Sorry for the spelling mistake, a lot to say and trying to type fast I totally missed that one. Thank you for pointing that out. As for your opinion that i am calling everyone stupid, your misunderstood me. I was not talking about people. I was talking about the topic. Now this is just my opinion, but the topic to myself seems a little "stupid". Meaning that it's hard for me to see such a one sided answer. It's like asking if a 400lb man and a 4 year old were playing tug a war, who would win?

Then again this is just my opinion. Sorry if you misconstrude what i was saying and the tone i was saying it. Just confused that people are still asking this question.

Okedokey

Mike, post your system specs, introduce yourself, read the rules, contribute and then have some opinions. I am one of the most opinionated people here i reckon, but i wouldn't even come in with that intro ;)

Aastii

VIP Member
Even though it is well trodden ground, a lot of topics on a lot of forums are, but they still spark active debate.

Yes, there are pros and cons to each, and there are supporters of both sides, but what you will find in a lot of places is that you will have the average users of consoles, ie. teenage keyboard warriors (or in the case of consoles, mic warriors) shouting "xbox ftw gaystation iz 4 lowbob nubs!!!!!!!111!!1!!1111!!!!".

If you read the thread, you won't find that, you will find mostly constructive arguments and reasons. Yes, there are pros and cons to each, but you can not escape the fact (which you sort of agreed upon) that so far as quality and durability, a PC is better. The only thing a console is better for is convenience, you plug it in and it works without installing anything.

However, that last point is changing as more and more games require installation and as there are so many updates to download and install, so even that is becoming a moot point. Soon you will have consoles that require everything installed, so they will have nothing, other than you can sit on your couch and play, and there are a few mediocre console exclusives

Wolfeymole

Then I would suggest that you offer conjecture based on fact rather than scurrilous inflammatory comments which is also known as Flaming.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Crazy mike have you even read this thread fully? Your opinion is welcome. Please start by saying hello, posting your system specs (it matters) and be productive and positive.

PohTayToez

There have been more units sold of the Sims games and expansions than the top 5 games of the Xbox 360 and the PS3 combined. Same goes with units of WoW and its expansions.

Even with expansions taken out, each game, so JUST the sims and JUST vanilla WoW, total sales are more than the top 6 selling Xbox games combined.

the only Xbox game that has sold more units than Starcraft is BLOPs.

Every day, more people play just WoW and LoL, just two games, than go online on the Xbox.

No offence, but these are some weighted statistics that serve as poor examples. If you're going to compare The Sims to a console game sales you would have to compare it to a whole franchise (as The Sims is a huge franchise) such as Mario or Pokemon, in which case the console side sales would be much greater.

Also, I'm fairly certain EA would be padding their sales figures with the consoles side sales as well. Keep in mind The Sims has quite a few games on consoles as well.

Even with expansions taken out, each game, so JUST the sims and JUST vanilla WoW, total sales are more than the top 6 selling Xbox games combined.

Every day, more people play just WoW and LoL, just two games, than go online on the Xbox.

Also these don't seem quite right, can you cite?

It seems like you're trying to make an argument that PC games outsell consoles games and I don't think that is the case.

Aastii

VIP Member
No offence, but these are some weighted statistics that serve as poor examples. If you're going to compare The Sims to a console game sales you would have to compare it to a whole franchise (as The Sims is a huge franchise) such as Mario or Pokemon, in which case the console side sales would be much greater.

Also, I'm fairly certain EA would be padding their sales figures with the consoles side sales as well. Keep in mind The Sims has quite a few games on consoles as well.

Also these don't seem quite right, can you cite?

It seems like you're trying to make an argument that PC games outsell consoles games and I don't think that is the case.

As I said, the Nintendo consoles are the only ones that overtake the PC, so Pokemon and Mario don't really work. I will admit they have sold a hell of a lot more than any PC game.

Compare an Xbox franchise though, in fact, the best selling Xbox franchise - Halo.

Including Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo Wars and all map packs/Addons, the Halo franchise has sold ~31 million units

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/4787/halo-3-sells-10-million-copies-worldwide/

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1045085p1.html

Now compare that to The Sims, so all PC and console games, and all expansions:

http://www.totalvideogames.com/The-Sims-2/news/The-Sims-Surpasses-100-Million-Sales-12542.html

over 100 million, and that is an outdated source, however proves my point even better, because that is when The Sims was 8 years old, not the 10 years old that the Halo games franchise is now.

Even if you were to remove The Sims console sales, the PC sales alone would hugely surpass the Halo sales. This is the biggest selling franchise on each.

I have to go out to work now, but will post regarding play time when I come home, or tomorrow.

Whilst you wait, consider reading:

http://venturebeat.com/2010/03/02/time-spent-playing-video-games-keeps-going-up/

especially the last paragraph :)

Certain console exclusives I tend to go for, NOT HALO or Gears of War crap.
If a title for XBOX 360 is also available for PC, I use the 360 as a testbed. Certain 360 titles such as GRAW 1 & 2, GHOSTBUSTERS: The Video Game and certain other titles are superior for the console instead of the PC. GRAW I believe was made for console but ported to PC. GHOSTBUSTERS for PC doesn't have online.
Best to do research. I'm only keeping my XBOX 360 for console exclusives and titles which are also for PC which I'd see if I'd enjoy on 360 first. Which I've played both BioShock titles on XBOX 360 and buying both for PC. Already have BioShock though but current pre-built computer can't play it worth a shit.
Pick and choose really. I'm also planning on owning a PS3 and Wii in 2012. But my PC will always have more priority. Just more gaming selection.

Aastii

VIP Member
Why would you get it for console first? The game is cheaper on PC, so even if you end up being disappointed, you haven't spent (or if you don't like a game, wasted) as much, or do you rent/trade in games?

Why would you get it for console first? The game is cheaper on PC, so even if you end up being disappointed, you haven't spent (or if you don't like a game, wasted) as much, or do you rent/trade in games?
Current pre-built PC is crap but when new PC is finished I'll be playing more games on it anyway. Some games at GameStop are quite inexpensive. I don't buy all games at launch though.
I also use another method to see if I'll enjoy a game and I can't wait to buy Borderlands - Game of the Year Edition for PC.
Also trade-in sometimes.

Aastii

VIP Member
Current pre-built PC is crap but when new PC is finished I'll be playing more games on it anyway. Some games at GameStop are quite inexpensive. I don't buy all games at launch though.
I also use another method to see if I'll enjoy a game and I can't wait to buy Borderlands - Game of the Year Edition for PC.
Also trade-in sometimes.

Do you have a Steam account? If not, I would highly recommend getting one. Even though you can't sell the games on because they get bound to your account, games are so cheap on there if you get the mid week and weekend deals it really doesn't matter. I've got about 80 games in my Steam Library that I've got over 3-4 years, with an average price of about £3 per game. Considering that would normally be about 6 console games, you can see where the value comes in.

Most of them aren't random games either, I've got CoD4, 5 and 6, BF2, Crysis, GTA4, all the Valve games, so they are "major" titles. A lot of the games on there are indie games, but a hell of a lot of those are diamonds in the rough. When a game is on sale for £2 or 3, even if you hate it, it isn't exactly life changing amounts of money that you are that upset to part with, and for all the times that the games surprise you and are great little games, it is worth it

Do you have a Steam account? If not, I would highly recommend getting one. Even though you can't sell the games on because they get bound to your account, games are so cheap on there if you get the mid week and weekend deals it really doesn't matter. I've got about 80 games in my Steam Library that I've got over 3-4 years, with an average price of about £3 per game. Considering that would normally be about 6 console games, you can see where the value comes in.

Most of them aren't random games either, I've got CoD4, 5 and 6, BF2, Crysis, GTA4, all the Valve games, so they are "major" titles. A lot of the games on there are indie games, but a hell of a lot of those are diamonds in the rough. When a game is on sale for £2 or 3, even if you hate it, it isn't exactly life changing amounts of money that you are that upset to part with, and for all the times that the games surprise you and are great little games, it is worth it
I'd rather buy all PC games retail including VALVe's Source titles. Only games on Steam I'd buy are Digital Exclusive and older titles which have better compatiblity with current Windows operating systems.
My XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live/Backloggery name is Drag00n2019 and for Steam it's The_Flash2019. Huge amount of retail titles for PC on my Amazon wishlist.
Just a matter of preference instead of downloading all the time.

EDIT: I do the same sort of price watching for PC games as I have done for DVDs, HD DVDs (not anymore) and Blu-rays.

Last edited:

PohTayToez

As I said, the Nintendo consoles are the only ones that overtake the PC, so Pokemon and Mario don't really work. I will admit they have sold a hell of a lot more than any PC game.

Compare an Xbox franchise though, in fact, the best selling Xbox franchise - Halo.

Including Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo Wars and all map packs/Addons, the Halo franchise has sold ~31 million units

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/4787/halo-3-sells-10-million-copies-worldwide/

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1045085p1.html

Now compare that to The Sims, so all PC and console games, and all expansions:

http://www.totalvideogames.com/The-Sims-2/news/The-Sims-Surpasses-100-Million-Sales-12542.html

over 100 million, and that is an outdated source, however proves my point even better, because that is when The Sims was 8 years old, not the 10 years old that the Halo games franchise is now.

Even if you were to remove The Sims console sales, the PC sales alone would hugely surpass the Halo sales. This is the biggest selling franchise on each.

I have to go out to work now, but will post regarding play time when I come home, or tomorrow.

Whilst you wait, consider reading:

http://venturebeat.com/2010/03/02/time-spent-playing-video-games-keeps-going-up/

especially the last paragraph :)

You using crazy weighed statistics again that don't really mean anything in this context. The discussion is not The Sims vs. Halo. It's silly to compare a four game Microsoft exclusive series with two spin offs to a franchise of around 100 games (including console versions!).

If you're going to try and justify PC gaming superiority sales statistics are simply not the way to do it. You can't just write off anything by Nintendo because their sales will disprove your points.

The way I see it,
PC is basically the only place successful MMORPGs exist, and many of them are stupidly profitable but those are a relative few compared to the entire gaming market.

Other than the MMORPG cash cow and casual games, other "big" games on PC are only moderately successful and way undersell their console counterparts.

Sports games are dying on PC. Steam is the only thing keeping hardcore/enthusiast gaming alive.

I have nothing against PC gaming but the fact that most publishers/developers are pooring their money into console games would indicate that PC gaming sales are not the majority.