PC won't start programs for several minutes after startup

Gossinater

When I start my PC, it will not start programs like Origin for several minutes. Firefox will start after a few minutes, as well as other programs.

When I click on a program that I want to open, it'll display a wait symbol as if it's working then after a few seconds it goes away and never launches program.

Only recent changes I've done are re-installed Origin and Battlefield 4.

I've also installed Malwarebytes and quarantined 15 files that were threats.

Agent Smith

You more than likely have a service (probably rouge) that is trying to start and it's holding back other things from starting.

Run Herdprotect Portable. You will have to run it twice. Then run Freefixer and click EACH! link for what each module is and see if you should remove the module or not. I would do all this in safe mode.

Gossinater

Do I need
You more than likely have a service (probably rouge) that is trying to start and it's holding back other things from starting.

Run Herdprotect Portable. You will have to run it twice. Then run Freefixer and click EACH! link for what each module is and see if you should remove the module or not. I would do all this in safe mode.
to download those before going in safe mode? I've never really used safe mode

Agent Smith

Do I need

to download those before going in safe mode? I've never really used safe mode

You should. Unless you use safe mode with netwoking. I would just use safe mode. You could run rKill fisrt as well. That will hopefully stop malware before you run the scanners. rKill can be downloaded from Bleepingcomputer.

Gossinater

https://www.computerforum.com/threads/please-read-before-requesting-malware-removal-help.224967/

Follow the guide in that thread and post the logs. Also download and run CCleaner before you run those programs. Also what are the specs of your system?

Thank you! I will begin this process. You guys have been a great help.

Agent Smith, I went ahead and purchase Malwarebytes for the rest of the year. It initially found 15 threats and I quarantined and deleted them.

Gossinater

Here is my logfile from step #1:

# AdwCleaner v6.047 - Logfile created 31/05/2017 at 22:43:35
# Updated on 19/05/2017 by Malwarebytes
# Database : 2017-05-31.2 [Server]
# Operating System : Windows 8.1 (X64)
# Username : Scott - GOSSINATER
# Running from : C:\Users\Scott\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Mode: Clean
# Support : https://www.malwarebytes.com/support

***** [ Services ] *****

[-] Service deleted: YSearchUtilSvc

***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder deleted: C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\YSearchUtil
[-] Folder deleted: C:\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\yset
[-] Folder deleted: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\YSearchUtil

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File deleted: C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\m3z0yrv4.default\extensions\[email protected]

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Yahoo! SearchSet

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] [Search Provider] Deleted: aol.com
[-] [C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] [Search Provider] Deleted: ask.com

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [1438 Bytes] - [31/05/2017 22:43:35]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1837 Bytes] - [31/05/2017 22:43:05]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [1584 Bytes] ##########

I built this computer in 2015
Asus Sabertooth gaming motherboard
AMD FX-8350 processor
RAM 16GB
EVGA 960 graphics card

Gossinater

Step #2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.1.3 (04.10.2017)
Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64
Ran by Scott (Administrator) on Wed 05/31/2017 at 22:50:21.61

File System: 1

Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\Driver Updater_Diverdetails_DDelayScheduled (Task)

Registry: 0

Scan was completed on Wed 05/31/2017 at 22:53:12.46
End of JRT log

Gossinater

Step #3: Malwarebytes scan

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 5/31/17
Scan Time: 10:59 PM
Log File: 5.31 Malwarebytes scan.txt
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.1.2.1733
Components Version: 1.0.122
Update Package Version: 1.0.2063
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: GOSSINATER\Scott

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 341460
Threats Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Threats Quarantined: 0
Time Elapsed: 3 min, 37 sec

-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

-Scan Details-
Process: 0

Module: 0

Registry Key: 0

Registry Value: 0

Registry Data: 0

Data Stream: 0

Folder: 0

File: 0

Physical Sector: 0

(end)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try attaching the OTL log, click on the upload a file button next to the post reply button. You can't be blocked if you are able to post.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you either uninstall or disable that flowsync program from running at bootup to see if that is causing the issue? I'm not really seeing anything else. My guess is you have a program running causing the issue as your removal logs are showing minor things.

Agent Smith

Also, as soon as your computer starts, head on over to your Services under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and note which service may not have started yet. If you find a service that hasn't started either set it to delayed start or uninstall what ever it is.

Filter the services by clicking the status tab.

http://support.polar.com/us-en/support/FlowSync/Uninstalling_Polar_FlowSync_software

I see Yahoo on your machine. You might want to run SuperAntispyware.

Last edited:

Gossinater

I have Polar Flow Sync (wife's smart watch program) disabled at startup. The only things enabled are: Google update core, Java Update Scheduler, Logitech Framework (mouse), Malwarebytes (recently installed after issue was present), NVIDIA Capture Server Proxy, and Realtek HD audio.

I will attempt to open startup program panel as soon as I reboot and see which one hasn't intitiated.

Agent Smith: I don't use yahoo for anything so ima remove all Yahoo items

Gossinater

Rebooted, everything seemed to come up quickly. I am accessing Firefox and windows explorer and it hasn't even been two minutes. Normally, it'd take Firefox 15+ minutes to load as well as explorer or anything else. I think it's safe to say the issue has been rectified for now. I think the Malwarebytes as well as the other programs ya'll mentioned cleaned out whatever was causing the problem.

I can't thank you gentlemen enough! Should I hang onto these four programs and run them periodically? (if so how often)

I only use this computer for gaming and a little internet usage. I download nothing and do not visit fishy sites. I've never ran antivirus; since April 2015 when I built it, zero viruses have presented themselves. I might need to rethink that decision.

Gossinater

Well I spoke too soon. Apps and Firefox are working; Origin (BF4 game engine) and a basic Youtube video won't work. I'm wired into my internet and my connections is tip top.

It feels like something is blocking what I want to do.

Gossinater

>.<

Sound refuses to work, as well as my little scroll thing on keyboard to adjust sound. I might have a virus that's just freezing me up?