PCI Express

Billson

So you are just looking for a motherboard, cpu, ram and video card correct? Don't need a case, powersupply, etc?

Edit: purely looking at price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2489699
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157564&ignorebbr=1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&ignorebbr=1

Total is $382.96. Assuming 25% duty, you'd still be looking at around $500US

Also, to answer your question it's unlikely you'd have much performance loss, if any, from a PCIe3 card in a 2 slot.
I do need a case and a power supply. Also, taxes here are 50%, so it would be around $600. Ive already done the calculations. I could get more money maybe if you had a strong recommendation on sth.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
So basically, full build for <= $500. Then taxes would bring it up to $750. I'm sure we can come up with something. Can you give more details, like what you plan to do? I know you talked about upping the video card so I assuming gaming is the main thing?

Billson

So basically, full build for <= $500. Then taxes would bring it up to $750. I'm sure we can come up with something. Can you give more details, like what you plan to do? I know you talked about upping the video card so I assuming gaming is the main thing?
Gaming is. Also Im studying engineering, so heavy software is too like Inventor or Solid Works. I used to have an Intel Core 2Quad Q8200 and a GT630. Older versions of that sofware worked fine, but they get heavier, and games do too. I could stretch a little more, like to $1000. If you think of something please let me know. I really appreciate all you are doing.

Intel_man

VIP Member
So do you want your computer to play games on or do Cad work? Because those tasks are on the opposite side of the spectrum for video cards.

Billson

So do you want your computer to play games on or do Cad work? Because those tasks are on the opposite side of the spectrum for video cards.
I guess I do more gaming than Cad work. I have no idea how is it different. What makes a Cad program different from a game?

Geoff

VIP Member
I guess I do more gaming than Cad work. I have no idea how is it different. What makes a Cad program different from a game?
There are workstation cards and gaming cards. Either will work for both, but the former is better for CAD and the later is better for games.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Kind of... as an example, let's use Nvidia's lineup of video cards as a demonstration. They have the Geforce (gaming) stuff, and the Quadro (cad/rendering workstation) stuff. On their older cards (haven't checked the newer ones to confirm), some of their cards in the Geforce and the Quadro lineup are almost identical. But, performance in gaming and cad related work is vastly different. This is more due to the drivers that they provide more than anything. Not sure if that community is still there or not, but there was a group of guys that would hack the Quadro drivers and install them on Geforce cards and they'll get increased cad performance out of it. I wouldn't recommend going that route though.

That being said, the GeForce cards in Cad aren't bad... but they're not going to be as good as the Quadro stuff.

Billson

Kind of... as an example, let's use Nvidia's lineup of video cards as a demonstration. They have the Geforce (gaming) stuff, and the Quadro (cad/rendering workstation) stuff. On their older cards (haven't checked the newer ones to confirm), some of their cards in the Geforce and the Quadro lineup are almost identical. But, performance in gaming and cad related work is vastly different. This is more due to the drivers that they provide more than anything. Not sure if that community is still there or not, but there was a group of guys that would hack the Quadro drivers and install them on Geforce cards and they'll get increased cad performance out of it. I wouldn't recommend going that route though.

That being said, the GeForce cards in Cad aren't bad... but they're not going to be as good as the Quadro stuff.
Huh. And what about the Radeon line? Im thinking about a Radeon R7 360 if I remember correctly (its 2gb gddr5 256bits). How could I know or ask what are they better for? Thanks in advance.

Billson

You're gonna pay an arm and a leg for a workstation card though.
Yeah looked it up and they are expensive as hell. So im gonna go with an fx8350 and a radeon r7 370. I was thinking to buy a MSI 970A-G43, because I see no reason to spend more on a motherboard, since the best DDR3 ram you can buy in my counytry has 1866Mhz, and It has pcie 2.0x16 and AM3+ socket. Is there any reason I should consider I dont know about?

Geoff

VIP Member
I have the understandig that the FX prpcessors are for gaming too right?
For a workstation where you'll be doing CAD work, you wouldn't want an AMD.

You're gonna pay an arm and a leg for a workstation card though.
It's all relative, if someone is working for a major architectural or engineering company, they aren't going to be buying "gaming" cards, they'll be buying robust, reliable, and designed for the workload workstation cards. That's not saying the GeForce and Radeon lineup won't work, they will still work well.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's all relative, if someone is working for a major architectural or engineering company, they aren't going to be buying "gaming" cards, they'll be buying robust, reliable, and designed for the workload workstation cards. That's not saying the GeForce and Radeon lineup won't work, they will still work well.
Yes, I know that. But for someone looking to spend a total of $500, they won't be buying a FirePro or Quadro card.

Billson

Yes. Besides I do very little Cad work. This year Ill only use AutoCad 3D and thats not even heavy. And thats it. Ill never use Cad soft again, so lets just say it is for gaming. What do you think about what I mentioned before?

Billson

For PSU and case I'd probably take what I had originally and add something like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154118
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
for an additional $90. The case is nothing special, but it should hold stuff :p

There's better build thread people here that might be able to squeeze more for the budget.
I am going to buy a 750W supply since the processor requires 125w and the graphics card 500w. Ive been told I should havea little more, and the options are 650w or 750w. So ill stick with the 750w if you think thats allright. I could get that for around $180. The alternative is 650w for $140. (This prices are including case and supply).
Here is how it looks right now
-Sapphire Radeon R7 370 2gb GD5 x$262
-AMD FX-8350 x$280
-2x8gb ram 1833Mhz x$114
-MSI 970A-G43 x$121
-Sentey case +750w supply x$178
Total:$955 (Taxes and everything included)
What do you think?