PCI Express

Intel_man

VIP Member
The graphics card does not require 500W. The 500W requirement is basically, have a PSU that is atleast 500W. That doesn't mean your video card is going to consume 500W.

Billson

The graphics card does not require 500W. The 500W requirement is basically, have a PSU that is atleast 500W. That doesn't mean your video card is going to consume 500W.
Either way I need at least 500w. So should I stick with the 750w or would it be a waste?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to buy a 750W supply since the processor requires 125w and the graphics card 500w
The R7 370 only uses about 110 watts at max load so you are good at staying with a 500 watt psu for everything.
So should I stick with the 750w or would it be a waste?

If you don't plan on upgrading your video card then getting a 750 watt would be a waste. Even getting a 600 watt psu will leave you open to wide range of card upgrades.

Billson

The R7 370 only uses about 110 watts at max load so you are good at staying with a 500 watt psu for everything.

If you don't plan on upgrading your video card then getting a 750 watt would be a waste. Even getting a 600 watt psu will leave you open to wide range of card upgrades.
So with a 500w power supply i would be fine? I dont plan on upgrading the card unless it stops working. How can I know the real energy requirements of the card?

Billson

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as its compatible with everything don't go spending a lot on it, after all it is old technology right now. However, for the price you are paying for am3+ why don't you go with the new Intel socket 1151? You would be paying roughly the same.

Billson

As long as its compatible with everything don't go spending a lot on it, after all it is old technology right now. However, for the price you are paying for am3+ why don't you go with the new Intel socket 1151? You would be paying roughly the same.
Well maybe it is a rookie mistake, but Ive compared benchmarks between AMD and Intel of the same price and AMD is way better. To get the same performance I would have to add at least $200 on every component (processor and mobo). I dont know if I sould rely on benchmarks, but I think thats the best way to compare. I understan that Single core benchmarks are better on Intel always, but I dont think thats too important.
Its mainly a budget problem. Of course I would rather an Intel PC (especially because of the DDR4 compatibility) but I dont think I can afford a good one. I would get the same overall performance. I understand that this kils my chances of upgrading without having to throw everything away, but Im working with pretty limited resources here.
Even though the motherboards that have DDR4 compatibility are pretty expensive. If I had more money of course I would go Intel. BUT if you think that is better to spend $100 on Intel instead of AMD I would consider it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will get better performance from a new I5 6500 then an old AM3+ 8320 or 8350. I'm just trying to help you make the better decision and have your pc last longer. I mean I've just built 2 Intel pc's for a couple of my clients using the Gigabyte B150m-d3h motherboard and it was less than $80USD. 16gb of DDR4 ram is only $60USD. You would have to figure out how much more you would have to pay due to importing/taxes. In the end, its your choice. AM3+ is already 4 years old.

Billson

You will get better performance from a new I5 6500 then an old AM3+ 8320 or 8350. I'm just trying to help you make the better decision and have your pc last longer. I mean I've just built 2 Intel pc's for a couple of my clients using the Gigabyte B150m-d3h motherboard and it was less than $80USD. 16gb of DDR4 ram is only $60USD. You would have to figure out how much more you would have to pay due to importing/taxes. In the end, its your choice. AM3+ is already 4 years old.
The cheapes intel with socket 1151 and DDR4 support is $188 more and supports up to 2133 mhz without overclock (Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3), so its pretty much the same. For the intel i5 6500 is $80 more, and according to cpubenchmark.net using passmark it got 7,033, and the AMD Fx-8350 got 8,945. Seems pretty sustancial. The thing is I dont realy know if I should trust this numbers. What do you think?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yea except those benchmark numbers are for the i5 6500 using 4 threads, and the AMD FX-8350 is running on 8.

Billson

Yea except those benchmark numbers are for the i5 6500 using 4 threads, and the AMD FX-8350 is running on 8.
Yes I understand that single core performance is better on Intel. Ive mentioned it, but I dont see how that is any good.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it was me, I would go for intel. I'll be upgrading to the 6600k processor later this year as I have been running the fx8350 for the last 4 years.

beers

Staff member
Benchmark can be misleading. Run a floating point intensive benchmark and the FX will keel over and die comparative to its integer only performance.

I have both 8350 and 4770k. Unless you have a specific application that is integer only you're building around I'd either wait to see what Zen has to offer or go with the ddr4 Intel build.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yes I understand that single core performance is better on Intel. Ive mentioned it, but I dont see how that is any good.
I have yet to see most day to day tasks that use more than 4 cores. Hell, I've yet to see any application outside of 1 or 2 that is using all 12 threads on my W3690.

Do the math, if the benchmark is suggesting a 27% performance increase vs the i5 6500... with double the amount of cores doing the work, do you think your typical programs using < 4 cores going to perform better on the Intel or on the AMD. Not to mention the 8350's pretty old by now.

Billson

I have yet to see most day to day tasks that use more than 4 cores. Hell, I've yet to see any application outside of 1 or 2 that is using all 12 threads on my W3690.

Do the math, if the benchmark is suggesting a 27% performance increase vs the i5 6500... with double the amount of cores doing the work, do you think your typical programs using < 4 cores going to perform better on the Intel or on the AMD. Not to mention the 8350's pretty old by now.
I didnt know that there were that much programs that didnt use all cores. All right I think Ill consider it, but I dont think Ill go for the DDR4 motherboard. Thats waaay too expensive here. Tanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
but I dont think Ill go for the DDR4 motherboard. Thats waaay too expensive here. Tanks!

How much is the b150m-d3h? Only $80 here. Ddr4 ram is cheaper then ddr3 now. You have to use Ddr4 for the new intel. But there a few that still take ddr3.

Billson

How much is the b150m-d3h? Only $80 here. Ddr4 ram is cheaper then ddr3 now. You have to use Ddr4 for the new intel. But there a few that still take ddr3.
I dont see it on sale anywhere here. Bear in mind that things arrive later here, so what is old to you may be almost new to me. All I see here similar to that is the B150 pro gaming D3 and its $200.
I see sth interesting here. Its an intel I7 6700+Mobo Gigabyte Ga-H170-Gaming 3+16Gb DDR4 2133Mhz for $835. What do you think?