Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64?

04dhou91

I am going to buy a laptop soon and I have a hard time deciding between a AMD Athlon 65 3400 which has 2.20 GHz or a Intel Pentium 4 with 2.8 GHz. Now I know that the AMD will have 1 mb of cache and the Intel with have 512 kb. So I am not sure which one to get, I will be playing high intensive games and will watch DVD's and do everyday computing. Please help me!!!

Dustin

Crab

Any Athlon 64 will be faster then a 2.8 P4 in gaming and the 3200+ will beat every P4 available in most real world gaming benches.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Any Athlon 64 will be faster then a 2.8 P4 in gaming and the 3200+ will beat every P4
Whoa... im a hardcore AMD fan but that statement is not true at all... the P4EE will still give the FX53 a damn good fight and both systems are about on par. As for P4EE versus Athlon64?.... the advantage goes to the P4EE.

04dhou91
The A64 system will be a better performer with its 512K cache advantage :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
obviously a Athlon 64 3400+
How the hell is it obvious??

the athlon 64 with 1600mhz fsb lol
You forget that A64s dont HAVE an FSB.

huh? sorry but i dunno all this computer speak
FSB, front side but, the effective transfer rate (i.e., the speed after DDR) between the CPU and functional components like the northbridge and memory controllers etc. The A64 does away with this concept of FSB and has it built into the chip running at 2GHz but with insanely low inital latencies.

4W4K3

VIP Member
ZER0X said:
A AMD64Bit is better than a Pentium 4

...sure. i would get the A64 because it has the bigger cache advantage and seems alot cheaper than a P4 laptop. also i think it takes advantage of slower laptop RAM, i thought the P4 seemed too fast for slower laptop ram and lost alot of performance. maybe im just dreaming...but thats what i thought.

djjimmy2k2

oh i forgot to mention didnt i, im not talking anout laptops anymore, just normal desktop computers. so its between an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ or Pentium 4 3.2GHz in a desktop computer :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
djjimmy2k2 said:
oh i forgot to mention didnt i, im not talking anout laptops anymore, just normal desktop computers. so its between an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ or Pentium 4 3.2GHz in a desktop computer :)

with desktops you have a bigger option on what mobo/ram/video/psu/HD you want. so the biggest factor is what you are using it for and how much you can afford. i believe the AMD would be cheaper with great performance, but the Intel will probably beat out the A64 with more money spent. thats generally how it works i believe lol. i still say AMD cuz i like to save money for upgrades later, but if you can afford it Intel might be SLIGHTLY better. its really a splitting hairs kind of decision..theres no white and black better performer which is why i tend to save my money and go with AMD.

djjimmy2k2

if theres no clear winner then there isnt much point with spending more money than you have to and go for the p4. i think ill probably go for the athlon

4W4K3

VIP Member
djjimmy2k2 said:
if theres no clear winner then there isnt much point with spending more money than you have to and go for the p4. i think ill probably go for the athlon

exactly...i see it as "i can spend more money and get get a slightly faster computer, but realisticly will i notice the difference? and will i benefit more if i save money for future upgrades?" AMD for me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
A AMD64Bit is better than a Pentium 4
You and I both bloody know thats blantent fanboyism and as much as I love AMD you simply cant make a fanboyish statement like that.

...sure. I would get the A64 because it has the bigger cache advantage and seems alot cheaper than a P4 laptop
Cheap is nice but a few points:
1. Newcastle chips have the same amount of cache.
2. AMD cache and Intel cache are not comparable as they have completely different approaches.

oh I forgot to mention didnt i, im not talking anout laptops anymore, just normal desktop computers. so its between an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ or Pentium 4 3.2GHz in a desktop computer
Woulda helped...

i believe the AMD would be cheaper with great performance
The P4C route, while older than say a Newcastle-939 route would be a much better price/performance route considering the cost of the AMD setup. The AMD setup will easily out cost the intel one :)

if theres no clear winner then there isnt much point with spending more money than you have to and go for the p4. I think ill probably go for the athlon
It helps to be CLEAR and say what you mean. The Athlon has been discontinued for several years now. The AthlonXP has been mostly discontinued and the Athlon64 comes in several flavors.

exactly...i see it as "i can spend more money and get get a slightly faster computer, but realisticly will I notice the difference? and will I benefit more if I save money for future upgrades?" AMD for me.
How about the fact that you can get a P4C setup for shitloads less money? :)

djjimmy2k2

Praetor said:
It helps to be CLEAR and say what you mean. The Athlon has been discontinued for several years now. The AthlonXP has been mostly discontinued and the Athlon64 comes in several flavors.

well seeing as i said it was between the AMD Athlon 64 3400+ and the P4 3.2GHz i think its a bit obvious which i meant when i said Athlon. surely you can figure that one out right?