Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
well seeing as I said it was between the AMD Athlon 64 3400+ and the P4 3.2GHz I think its a bit obvious which I meant when I said Athlon. surely you can figure that one out right?
Thats a good point :p

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
How about the fact that you can get a P4C setup for shitloads less money? :)

i was referrring to P4C/AthlonXP setup, not A64...shoulda said that. i just meant in general with all my past computers, AMD has been cheaper with great performance. i don't think i'll ever go A64 unless i win the lottery lol.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i was referrring to P4C/AthlonXP setup, not A64...shoulda said that
Ah that would have made sense :p (of course, a well researched P4C-2.8 system can be had for only $100CAD -- $75USD more than the AMD system) ... just gotta look around.

i don't think i'll ever go A64 unless I win the lottery lol.
Have a look at the Socket 754s ... quite affordable all things considering :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Have a look at the Socket 754s ... quite affordable all things considering :)

there cheapest (2800+) is only $137 at newegg...not bad really. i know like nothing of the 64bit chips..but isn't the socket939 better?

Ace1627

Pentium 4 is def the way to go. Getting a 64, though nice, is completely worthless. Nothing out is in 64bit except for maybe 2 games and a beta version of Windows. Sure I may be slightly bias but when programs start running in 64bit, Intel will make a 64bit chip and I believe that it will be superior. Hope this helps.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Ace1627 said:
Pentium 4 is def the way to go. Getting a 64, though nice, is completely worthless. Nothing out is in 64bit except for maybe 2 games and a beta version of Windows. Sure I may be slightly bias but when programs start running in 64bit, Intel will make a 64bit chip and I believe that it will be superior. Hope this helps.

i think lots of programs are 64bit, just not official. its definetly not useless, cuz when it becomes official...you already have a rig thats ready for it and ur not stuck with an A32 rig.

ZER0X

VIP Member
A 64-bit computing experience means that our PCs will no longer be limited to addressing only 4GB of RAM. In a 64-bit environment, it's now possible to address 8 terabytes of memory
OM..G :D:D

The real beauty here lies in the Athlon64's ability to run current 32-bit applications and operating systems right now, and with "no" penalty. When 64-bit applications and OSes come to market, the Athlon64 will be ready to take advantage of them and still be able to run native 32-bit apps right alongside the 64-bit ones.

And it does play 32-bit apps now

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but isn't the socket939 better?
Naturally but when comparing Socket754 vs Socket478/775 it gives AMD a player in the price ballpark

Dont all 64's have 1600mhz bus rates?
No. The S939s have 2GHz

I'll say it again I just cant help it
I can permanently help you if need be.

is completely worthless. Nothing out is in 64bit except for maybe 2 games and a beta version of Windows
When you make blanket statements, do some research:
1. As you said yourself, games and windows
2. Math, engineering applications
3. Video encoding applications have had 64bit support for a long time.

but who can afford 8terrabytes of RAM?!?!?! not me lol.
its not all that expensive considering the rest of the setups are about $1600 per part :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL im just messin with ya .... but seriously, unbacked, (seemingly random) amd ultra-broad (fanboyish) comments arent gonna help people that what to get a serious answer and such :) Heehee

ZER0X

VIP Member
Praetor said:
LOL im just messin with ya .... but seriously, unbacked, (seemingly random) amd ultra-broad (fanboyish) comments arent gonna help people that what to get a serious answer and such :) Heehee

Yes I should of been more of a help (In-Depth) :)