Photo Tourney - Game Photography

massahwahl

VIP Member
I can see where you guys are coming from, but surely, taking a screenshot of a game, is only like taking a screenshot (photograph) of life.

I knew there would be some un-happiness when I suggested this theme to Jake. I thought it'd be good to put a twist on things... Broaden your horizons :p

To me calling a screenshot a 'photograph' over simplifies it as an art form. A screenshot is a button press, a true photograph requires so much more than just pushing a button...

Tuffie

To me calling a screenshot a 'photograph' over simplifies it as an art form. A screenshot is a button press, a true photograph requires so much more than just pushing a button...

I think we all get that a good photograph is alot harder to achieve then a screenshot, and don't think any of us are trying to say otherwise.

But when you start to sound like you're saying it cant be an art form, I would object. Expression can be done through many different mediums.

Anyway, it's just a silly competition, let everyone have a little fun, and the thread will die.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Guys, we're slowly getting into a bad debate here. I know, this was different but it's already done, if you don't like it then don't like it! Nothing we can do. I myself found it a bit inappropriate as well since it's not true photography but heck! For those who are not too happy, the faster we get it done, the faster we'll get to real photography. ;)

Just let it go, and keep the pics coming. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Who cares. I agree with ramodkk, if you don't like it then don't submit an entry and don't post here.

I don't think screenshots are bad, some might argue they are almost as hard to get good ones as photos. You have to wait for the right time, right angle ect. Real photographs are harder to get, that's why no one is a "game screenshotter" as a profession. I also think since computerforum has so many gamers, and most don't have professional cameras, that screenshots are a good idea. Here is mine from grand theft auto san andreas.

Here is my screenshot of an old woman at ammunation shooting range.

2638332838_820579384d_b.jpg

kobaj

VIP Member
Haha, some people cant count :p.

And the rules also say, no photoshopping...even if its a "screenshot".

Anyway, Im going to wait another day to let the people who wanted to change theirs change, and a certain someone to make his a 'photograph' not a 'screenshot'.

I could get into an argument that gaming is a more difficult medium in that you cant focus, zoom, tilt, etc. But I dont really want to. This is meant to be fun.

And YES, I do know there is a screenshot thread. But this is a screenshot COMPETITION :p.

This is also a new experience. In that photographers get to try out gaming. And the gamers who would never touch a camera, can show their expertise!

Ben

VIP Member
Haha, some people cant count :p.

Anyway, Im going to wait another day to let the people who wanted to change theirs change, and a certain someone to make his a 'photograph' not a 'screenshot'.

Are you pointing that at me...? Or what...I'm confused as to whether or not my entry is alright with you.

kobaj

VIP Member
Are you pointing that at me...? Or what...I'm confused as to whether or not my entry is alright with you.

Actually I hadnt thought about yours. It was aimed at MBGraphics. But now that I think about it. Yours was taken with a camera, and not a "simple key press" :)rolleyes:). I suggest you change yours, please.

Ben

VIP Member
Actually I hadnt thought about yours. It was aimed at MBGraphics. But now that I think about it. Yours was taken with a camera, and not a "simple key press" :)rolleyes:). I suggest you change yours, please.

Hmm...Alrighty then.

MBGraphics

VIP Member
LOL...wow, I dont know if you just dont understand what true photography is or not, but this is a PHOTOGRAPHY tourney, NOT a screen shot tourney, if you want one of those, I think you should make your own new thread with it, I have nothing against this sort of thing at all, in fact it would be pretty cool if you started a new thread with this sort of thing. BUT, this is the photography tourney and it should stick to photography.

And rejecting Ben because he used REAL photography is complete BS and it isnt fair.

Please, keep my screen shot out of this tourney and give my spot to sombody else.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Guys, we're slowly getting into a bad debate here. I know, this was different but it's already done, if you don't like it then don't like it! Nothing we can do. I myself found it a bit inappropriate as well since it's not true photography but heck! For those who are not too happy, the faster we get it done, the faster we'll get to real photography. ;)

Just let it go, and keep the pics coming. :)

:rolleyes:

massahwahl

VIP Member

:eek:

I was choosing to stay out of it but seriously??? Your rules never once said anything about 'video game screenshots only' it simply said 'game photography'.

This tourney is nothing more than the 'screenshot contest' thread and worst than that your changing the rules half way through! It hardly seems fair and shreds any redeemable factor this 'photography tourney' had...

:mad: I vote to allow Bens PHOTOGRAPH on the grounds the rules never stated an entry had to be from a video game.

MBGraphics

VIP Member
:eek:

I was choosing to stay out of it but seriously??? Your rules never once said anything about 'video game screenshots only' it simply said 'game photography'.

This tourney is nothing more than the 'screenshot contest' thread and worst than that your changing the rules half way through! It hardly seems fair and shreds any redeemable factor this 'photography tourney' had...

:mad: I vote to allow Bens PHOTOGRAPH on the grounds the rules never stated an entry had to be from a video game.

agreed, in fact, as stated in his rules it says, and i quote, "Any game goes".

kobaj

VIP Member
Jesus, you guys are so funny, its just a competition...Whatever, "anything goes". Ill post it in a couple of minutes...

Chilax, go vote!

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Wow... this is pretty stupid...

Ok, If you don't like it, don't enter, if you like it, enter, just stop your bitching...