Photography 101 - volunteers?

jimmymac

VIP Member
We obviously have a good collection of photographers here, I wonder if there would be any people willing to spend a bit of time helping to create some guides that would help newer amateurs (such as myself :D) get the most out of their SLR?

I'm sure theres a few out there that have an SLR currently but dont really get the full or even part of the potential out of things like Aperture/shutter priority, things you can do with different filters etc. I do have a decent guide to using Circ Pol and ND filters from another forum which I may ask the creator if I can borrow so that might get us started.

So would any of you be interested in writing something that could help? Drop your names down here if you do with an idea of the area you would like to do and lets see if we can get some decent tutorials going :)

Irishwhistle

If you get some other folks together to discuss stuff such as lenses and such I'd be happy to help out with manual mode... :)

MBGraphics

VIP Member
I could help with Canon info :p

I would be more than happy to help with settings, lenses camera bodies and such in any way I can ;)

Let me know!

massahwahl

VIP Member
I would love to help! I would be willing to discuss the exposure triangle and histograms. Are you going to assign topics to members?

I would be willing to help organize too, assign topics and help put the whole thing together.

Good idea!

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Thanks for the great response everybody.
Glad to know you guys are so willing to help.
Jimmy and the rest of us will talk it over and hopefully get the ball rolling along.

Bob

PS- Feel free to throw out some more ideas on what some good topics would be. Whether it be within the hardware side, software side or other.

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

I believe most of the photographers here have a wide variety of cameras, perhaps we could write a review on our camera and submit it to a main thread to help.

jimmymac

VIP Member
well at the moment i'm thinking more along the line of the use of the camera rather than the makes and models of the cameras which may be something for a later date.

Uke I like the idea of the exposure triangle and histograms, certainly something I would be intersted in. PRobably the best thing to do would be to get a list of what each person feels most comfortable with. IF a couple of people want to work together on a certain area then i'm sure that would be possible over Aim/MSN/PM.

Irishwhistle

Maybe have a guide on Point-and-Shoots as well? I'll be getting a Canon PowerShot SD1100 soon :)

The exposure triangle is the same for all cameras and I'm not sure what else we would discuss that has to do with point and shoots... maybe we could just have the guide divided into different sections and tell in said guide what kind of camera that section is relevant to.

We should also have LOTS of pictures for demonstration purposes.

Last edited:

Ben

VIP Member
I think a section on Post Processing might be a fun idea. (No matter how much some people might not like it :p )

Then just a general section on the camera itself and how to get the most out of your DSLR. What settings work for the best situations...etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScOuT

VIP Member
Over the years I have messed around with night time photography. I have done some research and taken quite a few pictures at night. I would be willing to share advice and some tricks with everybody. I think your idea is great :)

TFT

VIP Member
If you could also cater for non DSLR users as well that would be great, I have a decent camera with the setting of most things manually and have read articles explaining these but must admit to getting a little lost. I am still using the presets for all photos.
Articles where I can reply with a question would be brilliant because missing out on the basic understanding is not allowing me to go more in depth.
Either way, I look forward to it. :)

pies

I'm starting to learn about nikon cameras and getting into a photography I'll help in any way I can.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Jimmy,

If your putting a list together put me in on those topics. I love discussing the exposure triangle!

Also, I would be willing to help edit the sections for grammar and spelling.

Irishwhistle

Jimmy,

If your putting a list together put me in on those topics. I love discussing the exposure triangle!

Also, I would be willing to help edit the sections for grammar and spelling.

Then let's try and find one more person to help out with the exposure triangle... Ben or Punk maybe?

I'm thinking Bob could do something on lenses as he's probably the most experienced.

Something else that might be helpful are guides for particular shooting situations... like "Shooting Fireworks" or "Shooting Lightning."

The hardest part will be keeping it organized... any ideas?

Punk

Staff member
I can take care of the "shooting lightnings" part.

I can help in the triangle too if you guys need help :)

Geoff

VIP Member
If someone wants to do it then props to them, but in my personal opinion, this is a computer forum. Even though there are some photographers here that know their stuff, I still think that if someone wanted to read a "101" on photography, they would be best off going to a photography forum.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
[-0MEGA-];1127800 said:
If someone wants to do it then props to them, but in my personal opinion, this is a computer forum. Even though there are some photographers here that know their stuff, I still think that if someone wanted to read a "101" on photography, they would be best off going to a photography forum.
spoil sport! lol...

im in, if you need a section on light painting and selective exposure...

Irishwhistle

[-0MEGA-];1127800 said:

Cameras are computers too. :D

Besides... we have mods in on this, you don't want to make them mad! :p