Photography 101 - volunteers?

Irishwhistle

uuhhh !! I think so :confused:

A common interest could mean anything that anyone is interested in... I think you meant THE common interest. Either that or I've always heard it wrong when people say that (which is possible)... Anyway... :p

Now... how's this sound:

• Lenses - Vroom
  • Camera Bodies - Everyone (so as to get as much info as possible)
  • Exposure Triangle - Uke Ninja, Punk, and I (Aperature!)
  • Post-Processing - Ben
  • Various guides for various shooting situations - Anyone who has experience in that area.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
I'll take care of the shooting lightnings and astrophotography part too if needed :)

jimmymac

VIP Member
no deadline as I think it would be better if these things are given the time they deserve to be well put together, right now we are just trying to come up with a decent listing of topic ideas, once we get that together we can see who wants to work on which section and hopefully get the ball rolling :)

Punk

Staff member
As for the exposure triangle, I have basic knowledge, I read an article in a photography magazine I have. It explained it very well, I can read it again if needed.

I can also scan the triangle but it's in French...

Also we need someone who's experienced in Flashes, as I need to learn how to use them :)

massahwahl

VIP Member
lol, i might be better equipped to explain flashes. I have a three flash setup that I use right now for portraits and group shots at weddings, so I am learning more and more about them every time I use them.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Alright,
Here are the ideas for categories:

Main ones:
- Basics (Maybe a brief overview of what cameras are & what they do lol. Might as well go over what the different parts are (view finder, lcd, mode dial, hot shoe, etc) )
- Exposure Modes (Auto, Manual, Program, AV, TV, Bulb, X (flash sync), etc )
- Exposure Triangle (shutter speed, aperture & ISO)

Not so main:
- Bodies (I was thinking it would be best just to wait for people that have specific questions and help them then, rather then writing a 25 page overview of camera bodies for them to read (Feel free to chime in on this though))
- Lenses (I was thinking along the same lines with lenses as the bodies. However we should have a section where it deals with lens technology (AF, Aperture, Macro, Filters, Hoods, etc))
- Software (We would like for there to be a section on software, but it would have to stay basic. It's hard when not everyone is using the same piece of software. So maybe, basic methods of the trade (croping, levels, sharpening, etc))
- Specific Tutorials (The mods and I are open to these, we would just like to see the "foundation" completed first.)
- Flashes (Basically the same as above)

It seems like this will mostly be done by you guys. I'm willing to help out with a part or two, so is Dragon & Jimmy and I'm sure some of the other mods wouldn't mind. Once a part is done I'm guessing us mods will have to review it first and then we'll throw it up.

I'm excited :D

Irishwhistle

Alright,
Here are the ideas for categories:

Main ones:
- Basics (Maybe a brief overview of what cameras are & what they do lol. Might as well go over what the different parts are (view finder, lcd, mode dial, hot shoe, etc) )
- Exposure Modes (Auto, Manual, Program, AV, TV, Bulb, X (flash sync), etc )
- Exposure Triangle (shutter speed, aperture & ISO)

Not so main:
- Bodies (I was thinking it would be best just to wait for people that have specific questions and help them then, rather then writing a 25 page overview of camera bodies for them to read (Feel free to chime in on this though))
- Lenses (I was thinking along the same lines with lenses as the bodies. However we should have a section where it deals with lens technology (AF, Aperture, Macro, Filters, Hoods, etc))
- Software (We would like for there to be a section on software, but it would have to stay basic. It's hard when not everyone is using the same piece of software. So maybe, basic methods of the trade (croping, levels, sharpening, etc))
- Specific Tutorials (The mods and I are open to these, we would just like to see the "foundation" completed first.)
- Flashes (Basically the same as above)

It seems like this will mostly be done by you guys. I'm willing to help out with a part or two, so is Dragon & Jimmy and I'm sure some of the other mods wouldn't mind. Once a part is done I'm guessing us mods will have to review it first and then we'll throw it up.

I'm excited :D

Here's a thought... as a mod are you capable of creating threads that only the ones working on the project can view and post in? That way we could have an invisible thread for each topic and then try and put it all together.

jimmymac

VIP Member
so what are peoples current thoughts, vroom has put up a set of possible sections so do people want to start taking ownership of each one?

Punk

Staff member
so what are peoples current thoughts, vroom has put up a set of possible sections so do people want to start taking ownership of each one?

I might be able to start next week on the "shooting lightning for dummies" :D. I had too much work this week...

Punk

Staff member
I'm also going to go with the Dust Cleaning 101 ;)

I cleaned my CCD and lens last tuesday :)

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't know if this will be of much help, but this is comparing different f-stops to show the depth of field.

f3.5

f35.jpg

f5.6

f56.jpg

f10

f10.jpg

f22

f22.jpg

Irishwhistle

very nice. is that on a cannon? if so what setting would i use to get those results?

Aperture... the higher the number the small the aperture and visa-versa... if you have the number set high then a lot will be in focus, but if you set a low aperture a lot less will be in focus. Low apertures are good for macro and high apertures are good for landscapes.

Geoff

VIP Member
very nice. is that on a cannon? if so what setting would i use to get those results?
Yes, it was with my Rebel XSi. As Irishwhistle said, you just adjust the aperture. Anything lower then around an f4-f4.5 stop should give you fairly good bokeh (as seen in my first image), anything higher you will start to get a lot more in focus.

Also, in addition to macro shots having a low aperture is also good for portrait shots.

jimmymac

VIP Member
great shots, I think they could be incorporated well into a guide on aperture and shutter priorities, I might have one almost ready made that someone may let me borrow :)