Pimp my comp

XHotxEx791

Whats your budget. You should definitely get amd. Replace case psu with another better psu. Get a dvd-burner.

eVGA 6600GT PCI-EXPRESS 128MB GDDR3-169
Rosewill RP550 ATX 550W Power Supply-57
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A-41
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 Processor-146
Arctic SIlver Premium Photosynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5-8
DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard-198
OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ4001024ELDC-K-128

total with your parts with these would be $1370. This leaves you room for a better processor, more ram, better gfx card, also SLI VERSION OF THE MOBO.

Roger

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
Dracon, what is this machine to be used for (the sound card says games or heavy music)

Any reason you have gone for the socket 478 p4, its being phased out. And uping to a lga775 system would be little price delta - and will help future proof (a little)

With a bit of a jig around you maybe able to squeeze in 6600gt, hopefully in pci-e but that depends on mobo/cpu changes

as for the cd.dvd - take a look at the recommendations in cd/dvd 101
http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=11610

512mb ram is bit small, you could switch to some cosair valueselect and increase to 1gb (2 x 512MB sticks)

how much does this all come to

Camper

go with a socket 775 if you want to go with Intel and if you want to go with AMD go with a socket 939 that way in 2 or 3 years you can upgrade the processor and get a big jump in speed for a low price or just keep up without spending to much.

Dracon

Type

I will be using this comp for mostly cough um gaming but uh dont tell my parents that because its for college but i do alot of multi tasking so i dont want to go with amd, i heard that Intel is better for multitasking so yeah. uh thanks for the suggestions keep them coming oh my price range is like 1600. oh what do you mean by phasing out?

Dracon

can you hyperlink to what you think i should get please im not real good yet with this whole computer building thing and i realy dont want to mess up my comp by picking the wrond part so um please hyperlink to the parts that you think i should get instead of the parts. please nothing over my budget of 1600.

Dracon

Would upgrading to socket 775 mean that I would have to buy DDR2 instead of DDR1?

I only have a 1600 dollar budget, so the best cheap/quality ratio would be great.

Dracon

Rundown

Ok what do you all think i should go with now. Im all confused I cant have Amd my parents actualy know that it is for gaming. The only thing i know i can still probably get is the mouse and keyboard sad huh. I want to go with a intel processor. I dont know if it will actulay go together camper but i trust you please give me a rundown of all the parts that you think i should get iwith a intel proccesor please. If you have time. like i said im tired and confused and none of this makes any sense to me anymore. Thanks alot.

TheChef

Have you read Praetor's 101 series found in each of the topics? They help a lot, and should answer many of your questions. Hope you feel less overwhelmed.

XHotxEx791

AMD is not necessarily for gaming, and buying intel has a price premium for the same performance, $100 difference at least. Besides AMD 3000+ is the lowest in AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 change. Same as Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT.

dracon this mabe helpfull my mother bought a computer Hand made by me and only spent $1,480 witch to me was pricey concidering it has
2.0 Pentium4
DVD rom
256 ddr ram
40 gb hd
opti mouse and Keyboard
And a Black Tower w/ 2fans and a side window

My brother built his computer spending $936 and his is..
Amd Athlon Xp 3300
512 & 256mb sdr ram
Dvd burner
80gb HD
64 mb Invidia GForce 4 w/ s-video
Dual channel Sound Blaster card
wireless mouse and keyboard
Quicksilver Case
his computer is great with multi tasking and Gameing

IN My opinion Amd Is Better Than Intel and cheaper at that.......

Dracon

So Amd can multitask just as well as Intel. but its cheaper i have read the 101's and they say that intel is better at multi tasking.

LlamaTronics

Yea... go ahead and get a cheaper AMD proc... Just pray that your CPU fan doesn't stop, or your heatsink doesn't come off... AMD's are so thin, they overheat very easily, and can even catch on fire (without heatsink & CPU fan) but other than that, thier great ;)

Camper

Just pray that your CPU fan doesn't stop, or your heatsink doesn't come off... AMD's are so thin, they overheat very easily, and can even catch on fire (without heatsink & CPU fan)
I wont worry about that the bios has safe guards that protected it from catching on fire.

XHotxEx791

LlamaTronics said:
Yea... go ahead and get a cheaper AMD proc... Just pray that your CPU fan doesn't stop, or your heatsink doesn't come off... AMD's are so thin, they overheat very easily, and can even catch on fire (without heatsink & CPU fan) but other than that, thier great ;)

May i ask where you got this information...