• Never

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Punk

Staff member
Do you download illegally?

I had the idea of this thread because since I found out about low prices on Steam, I bought a few new games instead of downloading them. I used to buy low priced classics at any local store but Steam has some interesting prices... Just bough Assassin's Creed I and II for 7€50 (Approximately 10$).

PS: If mods think this is not appropriate, feel free to delete...

Turbo10

Do you download illegally?

I had the idea of this thread because since I found out about low prices on Steam, I bought a few new games instead of downloading them. I used to buy low priced classics at any local store but Steam has some interesting prices... Just bough Assassin's Creed I and II for 7€50 (Approximately 10$).

PS: If mods think this is not appropriate, feel free to delete...

It depends really, if its an EA game then bollocks to buying it. But indie games i always pay for :)

Darren

Staff member
I haven't because I don't want to risk getting in trouble for it or exposing myself to viruses. I wouldn't feel a problem doing it on an old game I lost the discs to or something of the like. But I've never done it before, unless that Origin glitch a few weeks back counts.

spirit

Staff member
Most of my games are 100% legit, I will admit to having pirated a few older ones though. I don't play them anymore though.

jonnyp11

I haven't because I don't want to risk getting in trouble for it or exposing myself to viruses. I wouldn't feel a problem doing it on an old game I lost the discs to or something of the like. But I've never done it before, unless that Origin glitch a few weeks back counts.

this, but i've never pirated and i have wanted to but never felt it worth oing through the trouble and chance of trouble for something i can normally get a few months later legally for pretty cheap on steam, although i tend to not have the money for that, but i've got enough already i haven't beaten so no point

Turbo10

This. I'm pretty sure you sum up the opinion of at least 80% of the mature gamers today.

Buying games from huge companies like EA is like pissing in the sea, its not going to make any difference. Buying a game from a small one man indie developer is like pissing in a thimble, its gunna make a lot of difference and overflow and go all over the floor! Then you have piss everywhere but a really good game!

mihir

VIP Member
If only I want to play the game online.
Like I have bought CS:Source, BFBC2 , FIFA 13 and Half Life 2.
In India there is no issue of getting caught. I also buy games like Cricket to support the franchise.
Also I consider buying games which I really like just to support them.I really want to buy Skyrim but it always has been too expensive for me.
For my PS3 I buy all the games, I haven't jail broken it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I pirate a fair amount of my games simply because I don't want to pay as much as they sell for. However, if I like the game enough, I'll wait for a decent price drop and purchase a legit copy. Take Sherlock Holmes for example - the new Testament game is great, but my pirated copy crashes a lot, so I'll buy it when it's cheap enough on Steam (probably during the winter sale).

I did the same thing for both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

It's also good in case you don't like the game; then you don't feel as though you wasted your money buying a game you hate.

linkin

VIP Member
Do I download illegally? No - it's not illegal, just a very very grey area. Publishers (like music record labels, the two are closer than you think - they both publish things to hardcopy and are reluctant to embrace the digital age) use it as a scapegoat for loss of money, but it's anything but!

For one, music I've acquired before I have gone and bought on CD just because I had the chance to listen to it. Same for games. It's not the same for everyone though, and it depends on a person's morals.

Even more so, digital media without DRM is what scares them - because they have little control over how you use your media. They are too into the idea of controlling when, how, and on what device you get you media. It's outdated. I can have all my music with me on all my devices, ready to use at any time. Why should i have to wait?

Last edited:

Justin

VIP Member
I find Steam to be expensive. Over here a retail copy goes for around 30-35% less than what it would cost on Steam.

But back on topic, I do pirate games to see if it would run on my laptop. I don't have the luxury knowing that every game out there will run. After a couple hours of playing the pirated one, I uninstall and buy a legit copy. Last one I did this was Borderlands 2.

Punk

Staff member
To me it really depends on the price, I will never buy a 60$ game. 15$ or 20$ is more than enough to me. Steam has been pretty kind lately, I haven't spent that much on any of my new game... I got Empire:Total War (5€), Brother In Arms: Earned In Blood (5€), Assassin's Creed I and II (7€50), CS:GO (12€), Company Of Heroes with the expansions (10€) and Crusader Kings II for 5€...

If all games would cost that much, I'll never pirate any game. Latest one I got was Max Payne III, as soon as it hits that range of price, I will buy it!

Geoff

VIP Member
Seeing as how all my games are either on the 360 or on Steam, it makes it extremely difficult to pirate them. Even if it was easy, I really only play 1-2 games and don't mind paying for them.

SuperDuperMe

Nope, never, iv played torrented games, but iv never downloaded them, nor do i ever intend to. No point, i know what games i like so the whole ..... about try before you buy is .......

I would torrent call of duty though.....not even play it, just torrent it, its all cod is worth any more :p

Last edited by a moderator:

WeatherMan

Most of my games have been bought from Steam's summer sale.

Some games I do torrent, but if I want to play online I will either buy a Steam or retail copy.

lucasbytegenius

I usually download games illegally when they first come out, and then buy them later during a Steam sale. I try to get my games from Steam as much as possible.