PaulPool
New Member
I've been wanting to build my own PC for the longest time. With my mom's G4's memory full, and this eMachines T3256 being used as the family computer for I dunno, about the last 5 years or more, it's getting close to the time when some cash will be put aside for a new computer. Probably not very soon, but in the near future. I've been searching reading and comparing for a while, and this is what I got so far.
CASE $100
http://www.xoxide.com/auzentech-gmc-bulldozer-case.html
I like that one the best. I like how it looks, and the vertical ODD looks sweet.Though I thought about these two as well, if someone can tell me why they are better go ahead. But I really am leaning towards that first one.
http://www.xoxide.com/xoxide-alien-x-case.html
http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-transformer-case-blue.html
CASE FAN (side) $5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998108
This 80mm fan will fit in the side of the bulldozer case, I hope, and will add some nice lighting.
KEYBOARD $150
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/cb22/
Just awesome. Obviously can't afford the Optimus Maximus. But this one, black, is a good second.
SPEAKERS $24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014
Did some searching for decent, inexpensive speakers that work well with low sound. This seems to be a good choice for the money.
MOUSE $70
http://www.ergodirect.com/default.php?cPath=542
I tried this once and I liked it. I think it will give my computer the custom "me" look to it, plus it's comfortable. Can anyone tell me what's the difference between then VM3R2 and the VM3W-R, besides $40?
CPU $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
Seems to be the best AMD, I decided to go with AMD over Intel.
CPU FAN $51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835101029
I read the fan in that CPU was a bit loud, so I looked around and liked this one. Seems to be a quiet, well-performing and cool looking. I hope it'll fit in the Bulldozer case. One reviewer said it stands 140mm tall, 120mm wide. I don't know how that would look fit in the case.
GPU
This is as far as I got. For the GPU, Mobo, Ram, PSU, and HDD I don't know which to pick over another, and why so. I looked around some posts, and these seemed to be popular choices. I just like the way they look, I don't know if they fit performance-wise.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102865&cm_re=hd_5750-_-14-102-865-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-462-_-Product
I will probably try to find a monitor fairly cheap, not looking for something big probably used off ebay or the like.
What I want to achieve with this build is a computer that's good at multitasking, such as having many internet tabs from one or more browsers open, aim, works, a movie player, and I can still browse around my files without taking forever.
I used to be heavier into gaming, now I'm sticking pretty much to browser flash games, but the occasional fps or mmo does crop up. My brother is gaming more now. Responsibilities, I'm sure you know.
What's also fairly important is that it's not sounding like a jet engine. I expect that it will be louder than my eMachines, becuase it just has one little stock fan, but I'd prefer to keep it as quiet as possible. (hence while reading reviews I try to look for buyers noting if the product is loud or quiet)
I used to run AutoCAD on here, and there's a possibility it will again, and my brother uses some video editing programs. Hence I'm picking parts that seem pretty good bang for the buck +1.
I'm also planning on keeping this pc for a few good years as I have with this eMachines. If it becomes too outdated I would build a new one rather than update all the parts. Maybe ram, that's about it. So I'd like to pick good parts the first time.
Secondary, I want this to be a good-looking show computer, as you've probably noticed by the eye-candy parts I've picked so far.
So I know that the CPU Mobo and Ram should be chosen together, I decided on the CPU but I don't know which Mobo and Ram to get and why, other than AMD-compatible which I've looked at. I know I want DDR3. Could I get some suggestions, and help selecting the other parts? And if what I have so far fits together. I hope the case has enough room.
So far that's $600 in parts not counting shipping. I think I can spend another $5-600 on GPU, Mobo, Ram, PSU, and HDD, not including shipping.
CASE $100
http://www.xoxide.com/auzentech-gmc-bulldozer-case.html
I like that one the best. I like how it looks, and the vertical ODD looks sweet.Though I thought about these two as well, if someone can tell me why they are better go ahead. But I really am leaning towards that first one.
http://www.xoxide.com/xoxide-alien-x-case.html
http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-transformer-case-blue.html
CASE FAN (side) $5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998108
This 80mm fan will fit in the side of the bulldozer case, I hope, and will add some nice lighting.
KEYBOARD $150
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/cb22/
Just awesome. Obviously can't afford the Optimus Maximus. But this one, black, is a good second.
SPEAKERS $24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014
Did some searching for decent, inexpensive speakers that work well with low sound. This seems to be a good choice for the money.
MOUSE $70
http://www.ergodirect.com/default.php?cPath=542
I tried this once and I liked it. I think it will give my computer the custom "me" look to it, plus it's comfortable. Can anyone tell me what's the difference between then VM3R2 and the VM3W-R, besides $40?
CPU $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
Seems to be the best AMD, I decided to go with AMD over Intel.
CPU FAN $51
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835101029
I read the fan in that CPU was a bit loud, so I looked around and liked this one. Seems to be a quiet, well-performing and cool looking. I hope it'll fit in the Bulldozer case. One reviewer said it stands 140mm tall, 120mm wide. I don't know how that would look fit in the case.
GPU
This is as far as I got. For the GPU, Mobo, Ram, PSU, and HDD I don't know which to pick over another, and why so. I looked around some posts, and these seemed to be popular choices. I just like the way they look, I don't know if they fit performance-wise.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102865&cm_re=hd_5750-_-14-102-865-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-462-_-Product
I will probably try to find a monitor fairly cheap, not looking for something big probably used off ebay or the like.
What I want to achieve with this build is a computer that's good at multitasking, such as having many internet tabs from one or more browsers open, aim, works, a movie player, and I can still browse around my files without taking forever.
I used to be heavier into gaming, now I'm sticking pretty much to browser flash games, but the occasional fps or mmo does crop up. My brother is gaming more now. Responsibilities, I'm sure you know.
What's also fairly important is that it's not sounding like a jet engine. I expect that it will be louder than my eMachines, becuase it just has one little stock fan, but I'd prefer to keep it as quiet as possible. (hence while reading reviews I try to look for buyers noting if the product is loud or quiet)
I used to run AutoCAD on here, and there's a possibility it will again, and my brother uses some video editing programs. Hence I'm picking parts that seem pretty good bang for the buck +1.
I'm also planning on keeping this pc for a few good years as I have with this eMachines. If it becomes too outdated I would build a new one rather than update all the parts. Maybe ram, that's about it. So I'd like to pick good parts the first time.
Secondary, I want this to be a good-looking show computer, as you've probably noticed by the eye-candy parts I've picked so far.
So I know that the CPU Mobo and Ram should be chosen together, I decided on the CPU but I don't know which Mobo and Ram to get and why, other than AMD-compatible which I've looked at. I know I want DDR3. Could I get some suggestions, and help selecting the other parts? And if what I have so far fits together. I hope the case has enough room.
So far that's $600 in parts not counting shipping. I think I can spend another $5-600 on GPU, Mobo, Ram, PSU, and HDD, not including shipping.
Last edited: