Please check my hardware list for my first PC build!

Laquer Head

The case will probably be a corsair, any suggestions?

Corsair, NZXT, Phanteks are all excellent case options.

You need tolook at a different CPU, that i5 is over 2 years old and 4th gen,, we are well into the 6th gen now..:)

I'd look at a Skylake build mobo/cpu cost a bit more, but better going forward in my eyes

spirit

Staff member
i5 6xxx chip with DDR4 RAM and a Z170 Socket 1151 board is what you want.

Corsair make good cases. If you want us to recommend a specific one then it depends on your budget and the style you like. It's hard to go wrong with Corsair, they're all good.

Laquer Head

Corsair make good cases. If you want us to recommend a specific one then it depends on your budget and the style you like. It's hard to go wrong with Corsair, they're all good.

Agree with all this.

There are a ton of boards from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte on the Z170 chip, and pared with a nice i5..your ready to rock

Cases are definitely a personally taste kinda thing, I use a Corsair 230T currently, its an excellent case, not overly big, and build solid as hell..its $90 in Canada so probably $10 in america...LOL

TreeHobo7

Corsair, NZXT, Phanteks are all excellent case options.

You need tolook at a different CPU, that i5 is over 2 years old and 4th gen,, we are well into the 6th gen now..:)

I'd look at a Skylake build mobo/cpu cost a bit more, but better going forward in my eyes
alright.

I don't want to spend more than 70 bucks on a case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laquer Head

Ok. That is great! I have a laptop that will be my main media driver with a few indie games for on the go.

yeah, and there is nothing stopping you from purchasing a cheap external usb dvd player if you need it down the road.. My next build will definitely be a solid front, no need for drive bays anymore, pretty much no need for HDD either as I'll be going M.2 right on the motherboard

TreeHobo7

yeah, and there is nothing stopping you from purchasing a cheap external usb dvd player if you need it down the road.. My next build will definitely be a solid front, no need for drive bays anymore, pretty much no need for HDD either as I'll be going M.2 right on the motherboard
We live in the future lol.

Intel_man

VIP Member
What's your total budget? Rather than giving piece meal suggestions on individual parts and not knowing how much you want to spend on a computer, you're probably better off giving a budget and then letting people here do their magic.

Laquer Head

What's your total budget? Rather than giving piece meal suggestions on individual parts and not knowing how much you want to spend on a computer, you're probably better off giving a budget and then letting people here do their magic.

He has a $1000 usd budget. I'm on Newegg.com right now making a sample build, do the same to give him ideas!

spirit

Staff member
I don't want to spend more than 70 bucks on a case.
Then don't. Get a sub $70 Corsair one. 200R or 300R or one of their SPEC ones would be ideal. :)

If you dont require a DVD/BluRay drive, I'd look at the Phanteks P400, they were on sale at Newegg.ca just yesterday at $74
My NZXT H440 doesn't have any optical drive bays. I put my Blu-ray RW drive in an external USB enclosure. The enclosure cost more than the drive now costs to buy and has been no end of trouble. If you have it plugged in via eSATA movies are choppy in PowerDVD, if you have it plugged in via USB it won't burn any kind of disc (CD, DVD or Blu-ray). It's very annoying. If you buy a case that doesn't have the 5.25" bays I'd fall back on what you suggested and instead of getting an enclosure for an existing drive just buy a drive that's already external if you require an optical drive. I'm tempted to buy one eventually but it's not the top of my priorities given that I rarely use the drive or burn discs anymore.

TreeHobo7

Then don't. Get a sub $70 Corsair one. 200R or 300R or one of their SPEC ones would be ideal. :)

My NZXT H440 doesn't have any optical drive bays. I put my Blu-ray RW drive in an external USB enclosure. The enclosure cost more than the drive now costs to buy and has been no end of trouble. If you have it plugged in via eSATA movies are choppy in PowerDVD, if you have it plugged in via USB it won't burn any kind of disc (CD, DVD or Blu-ray). It's very annoying. If you buy a case that doesn't have the 5.25" bays I'd fall back on what you suggested and instead of getting an enclosure for an existing drive just buy a drive that's already external if you require an optical drive. I'm tempted to buy one eventually but it's not the top of my priorities given that I rarely use the drive or burn discs anymore.
I have a laptop with a disc drive just in case too.

He has a $1000 usd budget. I'm on Newegg.com right now making a sample build, do the same to give him ideas!
You guys are great, thank gods for internet!

Last edited by a moderator: