Please check my hardware list for my first PC build!

spirit

Staff member
Here's what I'd do:

In an ideal world, get everything in Intel Man's build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/4ZMsYr

If you want to save money or need to save money to buy an OS, considering the following:
- Stock CPU cooler or a cheaper air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 instead of the H80i GT
- CX600M instead of the RMx650
- WD Green or Blue instead of the Black (if the HDD is just for storing files or installing games onto)

Keep everything else the same.

I'd wait for the RX 480 to come out and then buy it all. I think it's coming out on June 27th which is a week away today. Worth the wait since it looks like it's going to smash any other card in its price range and also cards from the previous generation that were quite a bit more expensive than the 480 is going to be.

This build, even with the cost-cutting options, will be great!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I saw somewhere that windows 10 compatibility on the CPU is bad??? That's not true is it?

You are really getting confused here. The new skylake processors will only support windows 7 and 8.1 only up until July 2018 and then you must upgrade to windows 10 in order for support to continue. Do you happen to have a Microcenter near you? You can usually get good cpu/motherboard bundles from there.

Intel_man

VIP Member
To be fair, I spent like a few minutes spitting out that parts list on pcpartpicker, but I probably spend way more time explaining to him why he shouldn't get some of the parts he was trying to get instead. Lol

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you want to save money or need to save money to buy an OS, considering the following:
- Stock CPU cooler or a cheaper air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 instead of the H80i GT
- CX600M instead of the RMx650
- WD Green or Blue instead of the Black (if the HDD is just for storing files or installing games onto)
That will realistically save him $80-$100. Almost enough to get an OS or that monitor he's looking at. Honestly though, those parts are WORTH the extra $80-$100 especially when you start overclocking.

I have the WD Blacks and Greens, and to be fair, both have roughly the same sequential read/write speeds. It's the IOPS performance on the Blacks that destroy the Greens. Not sure how the blues fair.

spirit

Staff member
That will realistically save him $80-$100. Almost enough to get an OS or that monitor he's looking at. Honestly though, those parts are WORTH the extra $80-$100 especially when you start overclocking.

I have the WD Blacks and Greens, and to be fair, both have roughly the same sequential read/write speeds. It's the IOPS performance on the Blacks that destroy the Greens. Not sure how the blues fair.
They are worth it but he can live without them if he needs to save the money or spend it on an OS or a monitor which are both more important.

I think all that needs to be said has been said really. Good luck with the build @TreeHobo7! :)

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
WD Greens are garbage IMO since they're only 5900 RPM and usually not any cheaper than a faster Blue at 7200RPM.