pLeAsE hElP Me BuIlD mY gAmInG CoMPuTeR?

LithiumSunset

[-0MEGA-] said:
Just to let you know, your motherboard doesnt natively support the Opteron series CPU's.

If you want that motherboard, you need to check and see if there is a BIOS available that supports Opterons.

If your referring to his choice of the DFI SLI Expert board, yes, it does support Opterons right out of the box without a BIOS update.

striker

Encore4More said:

this Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT 256MB

isn't that kind of low for oblivion, or will it do just fine? I want no lag, even if it costs a little more.

Geoff

VIP Member
LithiumSunset said:
DFIs support up to DDR550 for socket 939 without BIOS updates usually. I'm running DDR500 right now @278Mhz with 3-3-3-7 timings.
Is it oc'd to DDR500? Because it cant run it at DDR500 stock.

Dr Studly

banned
striker said:
this Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT 256MB

isn't that kind of low for oblivion, or will it do just fine? I want no lag, even if it costs a little more.
i don't think it will lag... the x850xt series is very good... if you are willing to spend a bit more.... this would be a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy nice video card... but that would cut into your budget... it is about $100 more than the other one... but it is REALLY nice... IMO it is the only upgrade from the x850xt that is REALLY worth it...

[-0MEGA-] said:
Is it oc'd to DDR500? Because it cant run it at DDR500 stock.
stay on topic guys

Geoff

VIP Member
LithiumSunset said:
If your referring to his choice of the DFI SLI Expert board, yes, it does support Opterons right out of the box without a BIOS update.
newegg said:
CPU Socket Type Socket 939
CPU Type Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Athlon X2
FSB 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)

Newegg and DFI's website both dont say anything about opterons. But i see that you have the same mobo and an opteron, so i dont know whats going on.

And encore4more, asking if the mobo supports DDR500 is relevent.

Last edited:

LithiumSunset

[-0MEGA-] said:
Is it oc'd to DDR500? Because it cant run it at DDR500 stock.[/QUOTE

DDR500 is designed to run at DDR500 for overclocking. It allows you to run your dividers at a 1:1 ratio once you take your FSB up.

striker

Encore4More said:
i don't think it will lag... the x850xt series is very good... if you are willing to spend a bit more.... this would be a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy nice video card... but that would cut into your budget... it is about $100 more than the other one... but it is REALLY nice... IMO it is the only upgrade from the x850xt that is REALLY worth it...

:cool: If you can send me a link to it, then I would now more or less if I want it.;)

LithiumSunset

[-0MEGA-] said:
Newegg and DFI's website both dont say anything about opterons. But i see that you have the same mobo and an opteron, so i dont know whats going on.

And encore4more, asking if the mobo supports DDR500 is relevent.

Opterons will run on socket 939 as, they are socket 939 chips. Some Opterons are socket 940 and of course, they won't run on socket 939.

Now as far as the memory goes, DDR-400 thru DDR-550 will run on a socket 939 board. You can always run higher speed memory on the board provided it will handle it. If you look at any Intel chipset for their motherboards, you will always see two or more RAM speeds. This is because they will run those types of RAM. All socket 939 boards by default run DDR400 which puts it at 200Mhz which is the same as the HTT speed.

Once you start overclocking the processor, you raise the FSB speed which raises the HTT speed therefore, raising the speed of the memory. The problem with running DDR400 memory unless it's really good memory, you'll run out of steam quickly if your trying to run a 1:1 FSB/RAM ratio. The way to get around that is allow yourself headroom by installing DDR500 or higher RAM. Otherwise, you have to use dividers which really isn't the worst thing to do but, you'll never get any more speed out of the memory.

Dr Studly

banned
striker said:
that will make it $1128. this other one it won't mess with any of the other stuff you configuard for me?
no it wont... it will work with the other stuff i configured:)

and guys... the ram thing is irrelevant since he seems to already be getting the DDR400 CORSAIR ValueSelect 1gb...

striker

will that type of computer last me for a few years before it is no good for the new game of the future???

Jet

VIP Member
striker said:
will that type of computer last me for a few years before it is no good for the new game of the future???

No. There is no such thing as the future proof pc.

dragoon38900