Please recommend me a PSU?

I have a stock 550w but I don't trust it, it came with the case and it's a no-name. My specs will be : amd phenom II 940, biostar 790gx mobo, ATI radeon 4870 1gb. I want to know what size would be great for that video card, and also which psu would be good for crossfire. Thanks guys, I'm clueless about power supplies. AND I would REEEALLY like to keep it under 120 dollars. I hate being this close to having my computer finished and having to wait a couple more weeks to get a PSU. Thanks guys,

Ian:D

ScOuT

VIP Member
If I was planning on running dual ATI 4870 cards...I personally would go 850w. ATI recommends a 600w or bigger. I would not mind getting a little extra power. Here is a good article with great links to really see what your computer will use for the hardware you have. Make sure you don't buy a PSU that says "cross fire ready" and just assume it can run a pair of ATI 4870 cards. That PSU may have been tested for crossfire with a set of lower end ATI cards. Also make sure you buy a power supply with the correct PCI-E power cables that you will need for a pair of ATI 4870 cards, should not really be an issue...most power supplies that size have the four connectors you will need.

http://www.techzine.com/2008/12/28/does-your-power-supply-have-enough-juice/

I would wait if you can't get all the money right now...a few extra weeks is worth the headache of buying the wrong PSU:)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The 750W Quad Silencer should easily power two 4870s. For me, it powered two 8800 Ultras, Q6600 OC'd, two raptors, blah blah blah. An 850W unit would be great, but I dunno if there is a good one within his budget.

This 850W Corsair unit is $119.99 after MIR. That's a good deal.

hmm, overclocked at 3.4, and running crossfire 4870's, I got reccomended bout 500. Still go 750 or larger? I think I may just get one without crossfire power for now, I don't see myself doing crossfire any time soon. I would probly have a new computer by then. What should I go with to have a nice one for one video card? Preferably under 100. One that'l be fine with 1 4870 and my 3.0 overclocked to 3.4. No other add ons cept maybe a fan controller.

Thanks guys for the quick replys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Would my factory 550 do?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=939PL&cat=CAS&cpc=CASbsc
that's the power supply that came with the case I bought.

No, it's +12V rail only supplies 24 amps. The 4870 requires 34 amps. Really, I believe the Quad Silencer is the best deal. Right now, it's within your budget, more than you need, even with a dual card setup, and it'll be nice to get that $40 back. If you can afford the Corsair, though, go for it. Those are the two best in your price range.

No, it's +12V rail only supplies 24 amps. The 4870 requires 34 amps. Really, I believe the Quad Silencer is the best deal. Right now, it's within your budget, more than you need, even with a dual card setup, and it'll be nice to get that $40 back. If you can afford the Corsair, though, go for it. Those are the two best in your price range.

Thanks man!!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Why does that first one say dual 880gtx's and below?

It looks like nVidia certified the Quad Silencer up to the 8800 GTX in SLI. I ran two Ultras without issues, and like I said, it would be more than enough for two 4870s. AMD and their board partners have different recommended specs for a 4870 Crossfire setup. Some as low as 600W, while AMD recommends 700 - 750W. Any of the three power supplies recommended in this thread will suit you well. I'd get the Quad Silencer, but do whatever you feel suits your needs and budget. :)

Last edited:

Computer_Freak

the bad thing with the PCP&C Silencer is that its passivly cooled.

So it wont take heat OUT your system.

I would go with the Corsair TX850.

I got the 750, and its VERY quiet, and has all the connectors you will ever need.

Very good PSU's.

Just I was one of the unluck few that got a TX750 that blows INTO the case, instead of out...

Alright. So the 850, or 750, or 650 corsair. 20 dollars difference between each level. I'm reading awesome reviews on them. Is there really a reason to go 750 or 850? Even if I don't crossfire?