Please recommend me a PSU?

konsole

just my opinion but I think people go a bit too far with their power supplies both in wattage and the "only using name brand".

I would rather use the power supply that came with the computer then spend another $80 on something that may only be slightly better at the most. Power supplies arent that complicated, not sure why people dont trust generic ones.

StrangleHold

Staff member
the bad thing with the PCP&C Silencer is that its passivly cooled.

So it wont take heat OUT your system.

Who told you that!!

Automatic Fan Speed Control Circuit
17-703-009-13.jpg

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
the bad thing with the PCP&C Silencer is that its passivly cooled.

O' rly? :p

I would rather use the power supply that came with the computer then spend another $80 on something that may only be slightly better at the most. Power supplies arent that complicated, not sure why people dont trust generic ones.

The power supply that ships with his computer will not support a 1GB Radeon 4870. That's the card the OP would like to purchase. No, power supplies are not complicated, but some are manufactured differently than others. The "no-name" units rebranded by lesser know manufacturers use shitty capacitors and other components that can lead to a more likelyhood of failure. A failed PSU can, at the very least, leave you stuck with a dead system, or possibly damage other components within a system, like the motherboard. It doesn't cost much more to go with a recognized brand, such as the ones mentioned in this thread, and a 750W Power & Cooling model is more than "slightly better" than, say, a Youngyear model rebranded by Logisys.

Anyway, the MIRs for all the units discussed here will end on the 31st, so you should purchase by Saturday if you want to take advantage of any of the offers.

Computer_Freak

no not really, but its nice to have the headroom.

I would get the TX850 if I were you, as you have the option to CF/SLI top cards without worries...

Computer_Freak

Who told you that!!

Automatic Fan Speed Control Circuit
17-703-009-13.jpg

thats just exhaust air from the PSU.

Im talking about taking air out of your WHOLE case...

I would smashed my screen if I saw another one of those damn owls... :p

just my opinion but I think people go a bit too far with their power supplies both in wattage and the "only using name brand".

Thats one of the worst pieces of advice you could give...

the PSU is your computers life source...

Its like the heart, and the current is the blood. Better PSU give cleaner, more stable current, and last longer. Generics, or bad PSUs dont. A Bad heart can cause lots of problems. its the same with a PSU...

a good PSU is better, and it better for your system. A bad PSU can do lots of bad things...

Last edited:
I decided just to get the tx650W corsair. I bought it this morning. I doubt I'll crossfire later on. That will handle the 4870x2 so I can upgrade my card later on, but that will be awhiiile from now. It was 99.99 and getting a 20 dollar mail in rebate. I appreciate everybody's advice, those corsairs are freakin awesome. Thanks guys!! One step closer to having my pc finished:) Thanks for all of your help, I'm glad I found this forum, there's alot of knowledgeable people and tons of great advice.

Last edited:

Computer_Freak

I decided just to get the tx650W corsair. I bought it this morning. I doubt I'll crossfire later on. That will handle the 4870x2 so I can upgrade my card later on, but that will be awhiiile from now. It was 99.99 and getting a 20 dollar mail in rebate. I appreciate everybody's advice, those corsairs are freakin awesome. Thanks guys!! One step closer to having my pc finished:) Thanks for all of your help, I'm glad I found this forum, there's alot of knowledgeable people and tons of great advice.

nice purchase mate...

konsole

O' rly? :p

The power supply that ships with his computer will not support a 1GB Radeon 4870. That's the card the OP would like to purchase. No, power supplies are not complicated, but some are manufactured differently than others. The "no-name" units rebranded by lesser know manufacturers use shitty capacitors and other components that can lead to a more likelyhood of failure. A failed PSU can, at the very least, leave you stuck with a dead system, or possibly damage other components within a system, like the motherboard. It doesn't cost much more to go with a recognized brand, such as the ones mentioned in this thread, and a 750W Power & Cooling model is more than "slightly better" than, say, a Youngyear model rebranded by Logisys.

Anyway, the MIRs for all the units discussed here will end on the 31st, so you should purchase by Saturday if you want to take advantage of any of the offers.

what are you talking about? If he has more then a basic setup then yeah maybe, but with a basic setup and that video card his computer doesnt need anymore then 400W, 500W is safe. I'm running the 4870 1gb in this computer that has a basic setup with a 500W and everything has been fine. Atleast the thermaltake power calculator is recommending only 272W minimum for me. Even with more then 1 hard drive and more then 1 optical drive I still don't see how you guys think that 550W isnt enough. I know you dont trust that manufacturer on the unit but to say that 550W isnt enough is beyond me.

With that calculator I had to use these numbers to get the recommended power supply up to 550W...

- AMD phenom II X4 940
- 2 radeon 4870's running in crossfire
- 4 sticks ddr3
- 3 sata hard drives
- 3 dvd burner drives
- 4 usb devices
- 6 120mm fans

I understand that you should get more then the recommended size but since 550W is enough to run the above setup, I really dont see how you guys figure needing 750W+ to run your computers. I also understand that getting a large psu doesnt mean your gonna be using that extra power, but since power supplies arent cheap and they are generally priced according to their power, it amazes me why people spend so much for a power supply that they only need half of its power.

and how many people even use as much stuff as I have listed above?

Last edited:

Computer_Freak

what are you talking about? If he has more then a basic setup then yeah maybe, but with a basic setup and that video card his computer doesnt need anymore then 400W, 500W is safe. I'm running the 4870 1gb in this computer that has a basic setup with a 500W and everything has been fine. Atleast the thermaltake power calculator is recommending only 272W minimum for me. Even with more then 1 hard drive and more then 1 optical drive I still don't see how you guys think that 550W isnt enough. I know you dont trust that manufacturer on the unit but to say that 550W isnt enough is beyond me.

With that calculator I had to use these numbers to get the recommended power supply up to 550W...

- AMD phenom II X4 940
- 4 sticks ddr3
- 3 sata hard drives
- 3 dvd burner drives
- 4 usb devices
- 6 120mm fans

I understand that you should get more then the recommended size but since 550W is enough to run the above setup, I really dont see how you guys figure needing 750W+ to run your computers. I also understand that getting a large psu doesnt mean your gonna be using that extra power, but since power supplies arent cheap and they are generally priced according to their power, it amazes me why people spend so much for a power supply that they only need half of its power.

550W?

ATI themselves recommend running 600W+ for CF...

Remember, you dont want your PSU to run at max capacity. You want it at 90% at most...

Also, its nice to have headroom, as the Corsair PSUs are good quality, with a 5 year guarantee. They will last a VERY long time, and you can use it with the next gen cards...

Schonza

- AMD phenom II X4 940
- 4 sticks ddr3
- 3 sata hard drives
- 3 dvd burner drives
- 4 usb devices
- 6 120mm fans

I hope you realise it's not all about wattage either.... It's about amperes on the rails. You can have a poorly built 600W PSU, and it is worst than a good quality 400w PSU, because the 400w will have stronger rails, and will be more effective and efficient. However, all that aside, the OP has purchased his PSU, is happy with it, end of thread.

Last edited:

Computer_Freak

I know its about Amps on the 12v rail.

Thats another reasom why I say he should go bigger.

But I dont think any 550W can handle this system:

- AMD phenom II X4 940
- 4 sticks ddr3
- 3 sata hard drives
- 3 dvd burner drives
- 4 usb devices
- 6 120mm fans

Or if it does, it would be overloaded. kornowskis System is running on a 520W, which is remarkable, but the fact is that 550W (even the best) is enough to run a normal system. to use a top GFX card etc, and have CF/SLI with those cards, you need 600min...

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Konsole - Generally, I agree with what you're saying. In this case, though, the PSU that shipped with the OP's system carried only 24 amps on the +12V rail. The 1GB Radeon 4870 requires at least 34 amps, so the PSU he currently owns is clearly insufficient. Like said, not only do you look at the total watt output, you have to consider the rated +12V rail on any PSU.

Computer_Freak

Konsole - Generally, I agree with what you're saying. In this case, though, the PSU that shipped with the OP's system carried only 24 amps on the +12V rail. The 1GB Radeon 4870 requires at least 34 amps, so the PSU he currently owns is clearly insufficient. Like said, not only do you look at the total watt output, you have to consider the rated +12V rail on any PSU.

Thats why the corsair is a better choice too.

Its single rail can deliver quite a bit...

And thats why I got the TX750... 60A on the 12v rail... I think thats enough?