PLZ READ! (Guide me)

sudcell

PLZ READ! - Processor heating issue

Hey guys!
i am not new here, but i am (in a way!)
Many of you know me and helped me some time back with my graphics card and PSU upgrade. Fans too.. :)
FLASHBACK:
http://www.computerforum.com/230833-graphic-card-needed-12.html

Am here to share what problem i am facing with my PC now and need your help..
I have noticed that since my GPU and PSU upgrade, the CPU temps. have gone drastically high and they tend to remain that way even when under very little load (gaming- farcry 3, sniper elite 3). I know i shared this earlier too but now the problem is so much that the PC refuses to start every now and then. Even if it does start, it restarts after every, say 20-30 mins.
While gaming the CPU temps go upto 80 degrees C whereas the GPU temps remain b/w 60-65 C max.
Even while not playing any games, just surfing the net, it restarts and often after the restart it refuses to load i.e. keeps on restarting again and again(loop).

I have 3 fans as of now. One 12" exhaust, 1x 8"sucking cool air inside the cabin, 1x 8" fan located exactly parallel to CPU fan- throwing air outside.

I recently changed the thermal paste too, but don't think it helped (it was some cheap thermal paste.)- used this because only this was available in the local market.

I upgraded the RAM too some 3-4 months back which, by mistake, i purchased of wrong speed. The MOBO supports upto 1333Mhz whereas i purchased 1600Mhz Ram. Right now there are 2 sticks of RAM that are being used 1x 2GB- 1333Mhz and other 4GB- 1600Mhz. Can this be a problem leading to restarts??

IF YES, THEN WHY DOES THE CPU TEMP. GO UP TO 80C ????

My PC is 4yrs. old Intel I3 + INTEL MOBO {DH 55 TC9(B)}+ CX 600+ RADEON R9 270+ 1TB WD (GREEN- PROBABLY)+ 2GB KINGSTON 1333MHZ + 4GB KINGSTON 1600MHZ+ 22" LG LED

IS THERE ANY WAY THAT I CAN MAKE THIS CONFIG. WORK? OR DO I NEED TO CHANGE THE CPU N MOBO?

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Clean out any and all dust from the system, especially in the CPU cooler. You should have 2 intake fans if possible and just 1 for exhaust. Should help move more air through the case. Might want to try and get some good thermal paste. What CPU cooler do you have? Might be easiest to just replace it.

sudcell

Clean out any and all dust from the system, especially in the CPU cooler.
NO DUST..!

You should have 2 intake fans if possible and just 1 for exhaust. Should help move more air through the case.
I have noticed that fans don't make much of a difference when talking about the CPU overheat issues.. I know this 'coz i changed one exhaust to intake but it didn't help

Might want to try and get some good thermal paste.
Yes, am ordering one asap. Suggest me some good paste??

What CPU cooler do you have? Might be easiest to just replace it.
Stock cooler. Intel one!

tylerjrb

Have you tried replacing the thermal paste With some proper stuff like Arctic silver? If it's from the market and is unbranded, you can only guess if it is good stuff and I don't think so. If that doesn't work or I'd advise anyway replace the Intel cooler with a cheap aftermarket one. The Intel cooler isn't the greatest.

Are you also using the correct method of application?, small pea in the centre of the IHS. Get something like Arctic silver mx4.

Last edited:

sudcell

Have you tried replacing the thermal paste With some proper stuff like Arctic silver? If it's from the market and is unbranded, you can only guess if it is good stuff and I don't think so. If that doesn't work or I'd advise anyway replace the Intel cooler with a cheap aftermarket one. The Intel cooler isn't the greatest.

Are you also using the correct method of application?, small pea in the centre of the IHS. Get something like Arctic silver mx4.

Will change the Thermal paste asap.!

but the thing that's bothering me is that i've been using this Build from the last 4yrs and i never have faced heating issue.
Why has this cropped up now? Is this because of the R9 270??

sudcell

also, can u guide me how to choose Processor and Mobo when buying online?
I mean what to look for so that they are compatible

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Will change the Thermal paste asap.!

but the thing that's bothering me is that i've been using this Build from the last 4yrs and i never have faced heating issue.
Why has this cropped up now? Is this because of the R9 270??

Get a decent aftermarket CPU cooler. The stock Intel ones suck. And no, it's not because of your GPU.

also, can u guide me how to choose Processor and Mobo when buying online?
I mean what to look for so that they are compatible

Just make sure they are the same socket, and check the motherboard CPU support list on the manufacturer website before you buy it.

62 views and only 2 replies?? :(

Chill :cool:

sudcell

Get a decent aftermarket CPU cooler. The stock Intel ones suck. And no, it's not because of your GPU.

So the thermal paste and cooler will be ordered soon. But suggest me a good thermal paste and cooler too. What size should i look for? 80mm?

Just make sure they are the same socket, and check the motherboard CPU support list on the manufacturer website before you buy it.

Alright. I'll check.. if this system works fine then its cool, otherwise i will go for a new CPU and MOBO. :mad:

Thanks for the input :)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So the thermal paste and cooler will be ordered soon. But suggest me a good thermal paste and cooler too. What size should i look for? 80mm?

No, 80mm fans don't cool that great. Look into the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ or another 120mm cooler.