Post A Pic Of Your Pc Here :)

Russ88765

Eh, it's not too bad and you probably won't see it 90% of the time. Cable management looks very good, if Astii ever got into the building business I would request him to be the builder. How are the temps in that case? It looks like it would be better suited for liquid than air cooling. It was one of the cases I was torn between when I cheaped out and got mine.

Aastii

VIP Member
I plan on keeping the case for a lot of years (unless something changes in my needs), and with a youngster running about the house, not going to be taking the plastic off any time soon :p

@kobaj, a laptop and a case are a little different, I wouldn't care if my laptop got scratched, because of the reason you said, but when you drop 160 bones on a case, I'd rather keep it intact for a few years. That and most laptops aren't made of brushed aluminium, which the front of my case is, why attracts every single bit of dirt and grime and is a bitch to clean, and scratches super easy.

@Linkin:

The heatpipe design makes what you are saying possible, trust me, I've tried, that and the airflow through the hard drive bay is separate to the airflow through the main chambers, in the same way the airflow for the PSU is separate. There is solid steel between the drive bays and the main section, so air isn't getting through that.

I agree, the motherboard back colour isn't the best, but to be honest, the only time I have ever noticed is when people have commented on it on here :p

The reason for not putting the cables through the back is 2 fold:

1. I won't be able to get the back panel on unless I do some ridiculous cable origami, with an 850W PSU, that is a hell of a lot of cables to play with, especially when non-modular

2. The hard drive cooling is designed to draw air up, through, and out of the back, that is what the little grill at the rear, on the left hand side is for:

201006031031365852-3.jpg

which is right behind the motherboard, where all of my cables are, so it creates less resistance

That and as it is now, they don't exactly look awful, and don't obstruct airflow enough to have a negative impact.

And I would seriously recommend the Corsair over the CM case. Having used CM cases for previous builds I have done, I can say they are excellent, however Corsair are just in another league. The quality and the features you get, I would say are rivalled by very few, and only regularly by your top end brands like Lian Li and your higher end Silverstone cases. The only CM case I would use is the 690 II (I am in love with that case) or the ACTS 840.

@lucasbyte

I don't think you are understanding how impossible it is to dropped or knocked over. For one, as you can see it is next to a wall, and empty it weighs 20Kg. Fully loaded, it is close to 30, and when it is that large and stable, you aren't going to be picking it up to drop, or knocking it over any time soon.

It isn't dents that I am worried about either, I don't go whacking it with a hammer or anything, the worst I have done so far is turned my chair and hit the edge of the case with the plastic arm, which obviously won't leave a mark.

The worry, as I said earlier in the post, is scratches and dirt. It isn't like steel where it doesn't show marks too badly, every single finger print and spec of dirt shows up, so I would be cleaning it every day. It is only a matter of using a lint-free cloth in the case of dirt, but finger prints, because of the oil and the rough surface, I would need to use alcohol/baby oil/vinegar instead every single time, and doing that daily to make it look at its prime doesn't come cheap with such a large surface.

Once I move out or my little sister grows up a bit and I can trust her around it more, the first thing I will be doing is whipping that plastic off, but for now, it is staying :p

@russ

I already do build computers for part time work :)

I agree it would e better suited to water cooling, however even on air it is a beast:

CPU:

Phenom II x3 720BE @ 3.2GHz (stock 2.8)

Idle - 20 degrees
Load - 35 degrees

GPU:

EVGA GTX 260 @ 700/1500/1100

Stock 260 - 576/1242/1000
EVGA Superclocked - 626/1350/1153

Idle - mid 40's
Load - 77-78 degrees

HDD's:

Samsung F3 500GB
WD Caviar Blue 320GB
Maxtor 5400RPM 200GB

all ~25 degrees

All fans at 1000RPM, except for CPU @ 800RPM

Using the 3 stock 140mm case fans + Scythe gentle typhoon 1450RPM, which is completely silent.

the GPU is with fan speed at 50%, where it is inaudible. If I crank it up to 70-80%, where you can hear the air moving, it is at 60 degrees under load.

I'm currently sat with my card folding, fan speed @ 65% at 66 degrees

Eventually, once I have the money, I will get a water cooling set up and expect to see temperatures drop some what, but also expect sound levels to remain unchanged, in so much as I still won't hear a thing :p

I'm considering getting another couple Scythe Gentle Typhoon's to stick on the top as exhausts, move the 140mm fan on the back onto the free slot on the very bottom of the case, and it should increase the amount of airflow by a decent margin, and hopefully bring the temperatures down. I've heard that some people have had reverberation problems with any extra case fans though, but to be honest I can't see how. The complete toolless entry seems solid, every single panel is solid, so I would have to see it to fully believe it

Last edited:

linux992

Looking good, bit too flashy for my liking, but still nice.

what are the specs on it?

and also, a bit of cable management on those SATA/power cables wouldn't be a bad thing, but it is by no means cluttered in there. Good job :good:

The specs are.
Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P mother board
AMD Athlon 64 x2
4gb ram
160gb sata hdd
Lite-on sata dvd/cd player
BTW nice computer build yourself :D

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member

I know it can be done with non-stock brackets, which is what all of those are using, I've done it before with other coolers. However, I am on the standard AM3 bracket, and you can not turn it so it is front to back. I'm not going to go and get another bracket either when I am already getting excellent temperatures, just so I can mount it the other way. I'm happy with it how it is now :D

Turbo10

Is there a danger of your computer breaking if it gets too cold?

yeah there is as the components can literally freeze, otherwise people would fill their computers up with liquid nitrogen willy nilly. Humidity can also damage components a lack of or too much. So computers need their porridge 'just right' :p

ScottALot

Is there a danger of your computer breaking if it gets too cold?

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f9/cold-bug-cold-boot-67054/
http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/86980-whats-cold-bug.html

Some chips have a cold bug or cold boot issue. These cause the chips not to function properly or not boot at all when put under certain subzero temperatures. Intel chips are usually affected by this more often than AMD. "Computer breaking"? That's not such a problem if you remember to keep voltages somewhat low and fully insulate your board so it doesn't crack. EDIT: or condensation is an issue, too... water ain't friendly to computer guys unless it's directed through tubes.

I don't think so...I think there's a certain heat level that some components have to reach in order to function, however.

Yep, there's the cold boot level of heat that you have to pass. However, if your chip doesn't have cold boot issues, there's still the problem of approaching absolute zero (Liquid helium) that presents sluggish performance due to silicon not working as a semiconductor at those temperatures. However, if you were benchmarking and kept a constant heat level inside the chip, liquid helium might not negatively affect the chip.

87dtna

There's insulation all around the socket and underneath the board as well, you just can't see it. You really only want the CPU itself getting that cold.

Phenom II chips do not have a cold bug, but pretty much all intel chips do. I was also benching an E6600 and an E6400 and they would both cold bug around -122c. So I tried to keep the pot around -100 to -115c while benching. Consequently I had to pour a few drops on LN2 every ~30 seconds to maintain that temperature so it was a major PITA. But I did manage a ~103% overclock. Stock 2.4ghz, I managed 4.9ghz :eek: And the voltage was still way low, if I had a better board to bench on I'd have been well over 5ghz.

E6600spi1m.jpg

mihir

VIP Member
Looking good, bit too flashy for my liking, but still nice.

what are the specs on it?

and also, a bit of cable management on those SATA/power cables wouldn't be a bad thing, but it is by no means cluttered in there. Good job :good:

=EDIT=

for mihir:

IMG_6491.jpg

IMG_6492.jpg

You can't tell too well from the picture, but the bottom fan is blowing up, the CPU is blowing up, HDD fan blowing up and the rear fan an exhaust. I, unfortunately, can't fit it to the top because they are 120mm slots, and that fan is 140mm, so won't fit :(

I am sorry for my first reply since my mind was not in it because while I was posting it a pretty girl called me outside to talk to me so I didnt have my heart in it and since you posted the pictures for me.:D:good:

That is an awesome case.I would think about it for my next upgrade but for now I am still not over my Fancy looking case and playing with its lighting.

That is a nice setup of the HSF.That way the GPU PCB remains really cool.
Why haven't you used PUSH-PULL config with that Cooler.

I wanted to ask How come your memory remains that cool?

I love the HDD fan just like my HAF 932 but both 90Degrees rotated.
Love the Cable management too BTW.
THe case is HUGE!!!!!!

I love the fact that the 4 pin motherboard wire is so long.Which makes it good since you can take it from the rear of the motherboard.

I don't know about AMD.But in my motherboard manual it states that the Memory should occupy alternate DIMMs for optimum performance.

AND PS. You have a coin on the floor maybe get a coke with it.

Aastii

VIP Member
I am sorry for my first reply since my mind was not in it because while I was posting it a pretty girl called me outside to talk to me so I didnt have my heart in it and since you posted the pictures for me.:D:good:

That is an awesome case.I would think about it for my next upgrade but for now I am still not over my Fancy looking case and playing with its lighting.

That is a nice setup of the HSF.That way the GPU PCB remains really cool.
Why haven't you used PUSH-PULL config with that Cooler.

I wanted to ask How come your memory remains that cool?

I love the HDD fan just like my HAF 932 but both 90Degrees rotated.
Love the Cable management too BTW.
THe case is HUGE!!!!!!

I love the fact that the 4 pin motherboard wire is so long.Which makes it good since you can take it from the rear of the motherboard.

I don't know about AMD.But in my motherboard manual it states that the Memory should occupy alternate DIMMs for optimum performance.

AND PS. You have a coin on the floor maybe get a coke with it.

lol :p You could get an 800D then, the exact same case, but you have hot-swappable hard drives, which are the same but you can slide them out from a door at the front, and they have a side window, so you can se your pretty lights.

I haven't used push/pull because the only other 120mm fan I have (actually sat behind my case, but you can't see it in the pic) is spliced, and I aint using it again because it has previously fried a fan header on another board because the tape I used slid down and the wires shorted. It I get some more shrink wrap to properly cover it, I may use it again, but until then, not risking it.

Also, it is again down to the design of the AM3 mounting system. I used to have 2 on there, but that was before I put it on, or rather realised I couldn't because the fan was obstructing the clip. I could put one on and just raise it, but until I get a few more 120mm fans, that won't be happening

My memory remains that cool because of very good airflow over it. Though it doesn't have a dedicated fan, there is a lot of air movement through the main chamber

The long CPU cable isn't from the PSU, though the PSU one is very long, the case itself comes with an extension, because, from Corsair themselves, they realise that most power supplies won't have cables that long, so they will fix that for you.

And finally for the memory, it varies from board to board, it isn't an AMD thing. Some boards (Intel and AMD) have it where you must have memory in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to be in dual channel, some have it, like my board, where they must be in 1 and 2, or 3 and 4. Just look in the manual, or look on the board itself, it will say something like:

A-1
A-2
B-1
B-2

where both A slots work together, and both B slots work together, and they relate to the position of the DIMM slots, so in that case, it would be like my board where the sticks go closest together. You can also just look at the colours, when there are different coloured DIMM slots, the same colour = work together

mihir

VIP Member
lol :p You could get an 800D then, the exact same case, but you have hot-swappable hard drives, which are the same but you can slide them out from a door at the front, and they have a side window, so you can se your pretty lights.

I haven't used push/pull because the only other 120mm fan I have (actually sat behind my case, but you can't see it in the pic) is spliced, and I aint using it again because it has previously fried a fan header on another board because the tape I used slid down and the wires shorted. It I get some more shrink wrap to properly cover it, I may use it again, but until then, not risking it.

Also, it is again down to the design of the AM3 mounting system. I used to have 2 on there, but that was before I put it on, or rather realised I couldn't because the fan was obstructing the clip. I could put one on and just raise it, but until I get a few more 120mm fans, that won't be happening

My memory remains that cool because of very good airflow over it. Though it doesn't have a dedicated fan, there is a lot of air movement through the main chamber

The long CPU cable isn't from the PSU, though the PSU one is very long, the case itself comes with an extension, because, from Corsair themselves, they realise that most power supplies won't have cables that long, so they will fix that for you.

And finally for the memory, it varies from board to board, it isn't an AMD thing. Some boards (Intel and AMD) have it where you must have memory in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 to be in dual channel, some have it, like my board, where they must be in 1 and 2, or 3 and 4. Just look in the manual, or look on the board itself, it will say something like:

A-1
A-2
B-1
B-2

where both A slots work together, and both B slots work together, and they relate to the position of the DIMM slots, so in that case, it would be like my board where the sticks go closest together. You can also just look at the colours, when there are different coloured DIMM slots, the same colour = work together

Didn't know it differs from board to board.For me the setting is A1-B1-C1.
I think alternate is better to have since more space and lesser heat.But wouldn't make much of a difference.

The 800D is pretty good.But right now the case is last in my upgrade strategy.I am looking forward to a three-4 monitor setup.So AMD will be the way to go.
I will try to get a monitor every 4 months or so.Each 22 inch Dell LED monitor TN costing around $170.
after 2 monitors will get a new GPU with eyefinity.

Aastii

VIP Member
Didn't know it differs from board to board.For me the setting is A1-B1-C1.
I think alternate is better to have since more space and lesser heat.But wouldn't make much of a difference.

The 800D is pretty good.But right now the case is last in my upgrade strategy.I am looking forward to a three-4 monitor setup.So AMD will be the way to go.
I will try to get a monitor every 4 months or so.Each 22 inch Dell LED monitor TN costing around $170.
after 2 monitors will get a new GPU with eyefinity.

Nvidia offer multiple monitor support you know, simialr to Eyefinity (called 3D Vision Surround), so don't go limiting your options in the future. Obviously if AMD has the better option for you at the time, don't even think about the decision because it will be obvious what to do, but don't go limiting your possible options