Post Your Desktop "Background screenshot"

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
ubuntucd4.png

ahh man that looks sweet!

im also tempted to dual boot with Linux.

are you running a 64 bit version of linux Irishwhistle?

Irishwhistle

ahh man that looks sweet!

im also tempted to dual boot with Linux.

are you running a 64 bit version of linux Irishwhistle?

Thanks! :D Nah! That's 32Bit, I've never needed 62Bit and I didn't want to download Ubuntu 64Bit, and since it's not gonna make too much of a difference I just used my 32Bit disk.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Sweet! Have you gotten Compiz working yet?

Nah, the laptops far too old to handle it. It won't let me use anything but standard desktop, I think that's what it was called. How would I get it working? Im going to try it on my main PC. Could you PM me some useful hints or tips? :)

What's the bar at the bottom of yours?

speedyink

VIP Member
Thanks! :)

It's not hard at all as long as long as your nVidia card configures easily.

Basically all you have to do is turn on the desktop effects (Compiz) if they aren't automatically enabled (that's important for the dock to work.) Then you run the command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator
to install the dock. Then you just need to install the icons and the theme. The theme uses the aurora engine (basically it's just an engine that tells ubuntu how to render the windows) so you have to install that... and fortunately that's a cinch using this package: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Aurora+Ubuntu+Package?content=62227

Just download it and open it... it's all automated.

Then you download the theme which is basically instructions for the theme engine. You get that here: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Aurora+Leopard+BSM?content=92131

Just drag and drop the file to the theme manager (System>Preferences>Appearence) and Walla! you have a new theme.

Then just get some icons... I got mine here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin/ , but you can use any icons you like.

Then I deleted the the panel on the bottom, opened Avant Window Navigator from the applications menu, right clicked on it and configured it. Then I dragged icons on it.

The final thing is the cursor... just go to the appearence preferences, click customize, then click pointer. The best one is the black one called "DMZ (Black)"

I think I may of had to manualy add the panel background, but that takes all of five seconds.

Nice, that doesn't sound all that bad. The biggest problem I was having was with my ati video card

Irishwhistle

Nah, the laptops far too old to handle it. It won't let me use anything but standard desktop, I think that's what it was called. How would I get it working? Im going to try it on my main PC. Could you PM me some useful hints or tips? :)

What's the bar at the bottom of yours?

PM sent... if you need any more info just ask. :)

speedyink

VIP Member
Mhm... your best bet would be downloading the driver from AMD... it even comes with Catylist. ;)

Not so with my laptop card. Since its a laptop video card, amd doesn't support them, so no drivers on their website. I ended up downloading a program that modifies the newest drivers for the desktop cards and makes a driver for your laptop card. I have no idea if theres a way to do that in linux.

Cycles a collection of 116 wallpapers every 60 seconds

desk717228328372.jpg

Last edited:

Ben

VIP Member
Not so with my laptop card. Since its a laptop video card, amd doesn't support them, so no drivers on their website. I ended up downloading a program that modifies the newest drivers for the desktop cards and makes a driver for your laptop card. I have no idea if theres a way to do that in linux.

Cycles a collection of 116 wallpapers every 60 seconds

desk717228328372.jpg

Here's one for you speedy :)

Untitled-41.jpg

Ben

VIP Member
Your gadgets are working? When I click on gadgets it doesn't do anything...

Weird...everything works great for me. I guess its just one of those things with a beta. Can't get it all perfect.

Looks like someone torrents :rolleyes:.

Me? Torrent? Actually no, not at all.

Yes...mine is definitely not real...<_<; It's..uuhh, an xp skin..

lol...too bad it has the text in the corner...you coulda gotten away with it :p

speedyink

VIP Member
Weird...everything works great for me. I guess its just one of those things with a beta. Can't get it all perfect.

lol...too bad it has the text in the corner...you coulda gotten away with it :p

Oh well, gadgets aren't all that important to me.

Shhhh :p