Post Your Desktop "Background screenshot"

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think I am going to unsubscribe to this thread...no one is using any formatting for their pics. I hate scrolling all over the place, it looks like crap.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I think I am going to unsubscribe to this thread...no one is using any formatting for their pics. I hate scrolling all over the place, it looks like crap.

I usually retain my resolution because most users have their resolution set very high.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ah okay.

I'll make you happy and do that in future :)

Well it just looks better, and some people post high resolutions of their desktop with like the task manager running? I mean crappy screen shots make it look even crappier.

I just want it to look nice is all.

ilya124

tlarkin

VIP Member
i also have a 23 inch widescreen at 1080p. i just set the resolution lower when i upload. no crazy scrolling.

You can keep the native resolution if you read how to properly post it as a thumb nail in that post I linked above.

That way if people like your desktop they can grab it, though it will have all your icons on it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I don't understand the "instructions".

Was the procedure explained and I just missed it? I just see rambling, a thumbnail, and a line of code.

PHP:
[URL=http://img99.imageshack.us/i/2009dodgechallengersrt5.jpg/][IMG]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9655/2009dodgechallengersrt5.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

that is an exact example of how you would post it, as a thumbnail

Bodaggit23

That worked well. :rolleyes:

I feel there is critical information missing.

That's why an explanation of what you did would be better than an
example.

"Here's the code. Figure it out"....

tlarkin

VIP Member
That worked well. :rolleyes:

I feel there is critical information missing.

That's why an explanation of what you did would be better than an
example.

"Here's the code. Figure it out"....

Well you already know the code to post a pic to begin with. It isn't like it is rocket science to deduct the tiny differences. Plus I could explain it all day long and some people would never understand it unless I gave an example.

Bodaggit23

I fancy myself a pretty bright guy, and I can't figure it out.

Maybe you could pick apart my code for me an tell me what's wrong?

Here's your code:
*URL=http://img99.imageshack.us/i/2009dodgechallengersrt5.jpg/]
*IMG]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9655/2009dodgechallengersrt5.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

And mine:
*URL=http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/Motovader72/Desktop-1.jpg/]
*IMG]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/Motovader72/Desktop-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

tlarkin

VIP Member
LOL, I tried to make a point by linking the largest high res pic I could find and I think it nearly crashed the forum....

I will post a better way in the near future when I have more time to clearly outline it

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to provide the tiny thumbnail, you have to be an imageshack user. Using this code with, say, a photobucket link will not create the small thumbnail I see in this post.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to provide the tiny thumbnail, you have to be an imageshack user. Using this code with, say, a photobucket link will not create the small thumbnail I see in this post.

You post a smaller image and link it to the larger one, so in the URL you have the path of the thumnail, but in the image tag you have the path to the full resolution.

I just tried to post a direct link to a 50 meg png file from the huble telescope and it worked....

It damn nearly crashed the forum though, I had to reconnect, stop it form loading and delete the post.

I was trying to make a point that when you link a large high res file from a slow host it can make the forum take a long time to load or if it is too large crash it.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You post a smaller image and link it to the larger one, so in the URL you have the path of the thumnail, but in the image tag you have the path to the full resolution.

I just tried to post a direct link to a 50 meg png file from the huble telescope and it worked....

It damn nearly crashed the forum though, I had to reconnect, stop it form loading and delete the post.

I was trying to make a point that when you link a large high res file from a slow host it can make the forum take a long time to load or if it is too large crash it.

Okay, I think I see what you're saying. Take the original and create a resized copy. Post the copy in the forum using the IMG tag, and link to the original with the URL tag. Is that right? You can do that with photobucket.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Okay, I think I see what you're saying. Take the original and create a resized copy. Post the copy in the forum using the IMG tag, and link to the original with the URL tag. Is that right? You can do that with photobucket.

some hosting companies automatically format that for you.

However, you may want to bring this up with Ian, as I posted a 4000 x 3000 pixel 50 meg png file linked directly off another website and it tried to load the full res file....

That could be very bad for CF's performance.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
some hosting companies automatically format that for you.

When you upload a photo using photobucket, it does automatically resize the picture (you're given several options size options). The free version limits you to a 1 MB file per upload though. Anything above that you have to pay for.

However, you may want to bring this up with Ian, as I posted a 4000 x 3000 pixel 50 meg png file linked directly off another website and it tried to load the full res file....

That could be very bad for CF's performance.

You can send him a PM if you want. He reads them all, but doesn't always reply.

Bodaggit23

That's ridiculous. You're never going to get anyone to go through all that.

I thought you had a simple solution to your "peeve".

There's over 800 pages of pictures large and small, and it seems there's
not been a problem yet. I would just leave well enough alone.