Pre-built brand name PC's vs Build your own

AainaalyaA

my preferred brand would have been the ibm netvista... i absolutely love the shape and the speed.. prior that it was one of the first at machine - nec which was o-kay.. too costly when it came to getting the RAM and everything else.. I gave it up after a while.. it refused to work when I switched it on.. so gave it away gleefully, only to find later that the person who got it got it working... {as crazy as I am, he said I forgot to plug in the thing -- yeah right!}

anyways, now am using a fujitsu-siemens, and its pretty cool.. its up 20/24 and needs rebooting when it slacks like when I need to go to the ladies.. otherwise its pretty neat.. i think I'll give it away too.. i need a lifebook.. or maybe a powerbook.. i don't want to have to be immobile in a mobile world

as to building one's own.. i used to do that when I was in the IT biz.. for people who'd order their machines. I'd come with the cheapest config, and get it done all with my two hands.. it was fun while it lasted... even had the sticker on the casing commissioned.. you wouldn't guess the name of the system :)

and yes, i think its a pretty cool sig too

The Hitman

PC's vs Selfbuilt

Here is my 2 cents:

If you have the knowledge to build your own, do it. No matter what is on the market, you should to be able to replicate it, cheaper; unless it is a trade secret of course.

If you do not completely understand the mechanics of a computer, then I'd purchase a Dell (casual user) or an Alienware machine (high-end gamer). Avoid current eMachines, I say "current" because Gateway recently bid on eMachine, and there is no telling what they may produce.

Rick G

Hey, all:
I 've been building my own computers for a while now and find that some shopping at newegg.com and xocide.com gets me a copmplete gaming system for about half what the store brands run. The best part is that I use MSI mobo's and slower cpu's then overclock to get what I waht and 100% bullit proof. The down side is no tech supp[ort (don't need it) and must have good basic knowledge of computers especially when it comes to setting up the bios. I like the MSI because their manual for the mobos really are good when it comes to explaining the bios and settings.
The system in my sog cost me a tad over $600 plus monitor.

BUILD, BUILD, BUILD AMD or Intel OK, AMD a bit cheaper!

Rico

unless

unless you buy like a Raven or a VooDoo F-Class you can really find 'decent' premade comps. Dell is a whore for upgrading I wouldn't buy their stuff :D. Anyway those 2 above comps are like $4000+ and they pack it with the best stuff you can buy vcard, processors, mb, ram. And i find it funny how none of them have AMD processors.

Rico

haha

ian said:
No, you cant, I can buy stuff, but it is sooooo much better getting free stuff.
of course it is. wouldnt it be 'nice' to just have all the best stuff appear right infront of you? POOF* all of teh sh1t of the best stufff.

nomav6

I'm all about building my own, even if it does end up being a POS at least its your POS lol, as for the game console are you talking about building a mini pc that you can run into your TV that's loaded down with games and emulators? if so in theory you should be able to install the OS and edit the boot up screen to display the name of your console and have a program that set to autorun when booting up, never really tried anything along those lines but I'm sure with enough reading and time that you would be able to come up with some creative and useful ideas, if you do get the console going please hit me up with an email ([email protected]) explaining how it works, and some pics would be nice.

Dr Studly

banned
The Hitman said:
Here is my 2 cents:

If you have the knowledge to build your own, do it. No matter what is on the market, you should to be able to replicate it, cheaper; unless it is a trade secret of course.

If you do not completely understand the mechanics of a computer, then I'd purchase a Dell (casual user) or an Alienware machine (high-end gamer). Avoid current eMachines, I say "current" because Gateway recently bid on eMachine, and there is no telling what they may produce.
yea...

lol! i love old threads...

Last edited:

fade2green514

when i started building computers my dad had been running a pentium 4 2.4ghz with 512mb of ddr266 ram. basically, he got his built with a 12x dvd burner from a company called "XI computer corporation."
his P4 ran at 2.4ghz and was 90C idle. it was poorly put together, and there was only one case fan, temperatures were just sky high.
not to mention, they sold him some blank dvds with the computer that DID NOT WORK!
all of this costed him $2300... and it wasnt even the newest stuff at the time!!!
it was a nice upgrade from a pentium II 350mhz though. lol..
later, the overheating took effect. it stopped rebooting for him, which is when he finally asked for my help. he wanted something cheap that would last him a long time.
this is when i replaced his old pentium 4 with an athlon 64 2800+ socket 754 1.8ghz. runs nice and cool at 35C :)

Thug541

I am a fan of prebuilt actually. I hate hate HATE trouble shooting. I recently purchased a new Sony Vaio (been a vaio fan for the last 5 or so years). Main feature I like is it's liquid cooling which keeps everythign nice and quite. Only thing I see me replacing is the video card, and in the future maybe anoter stick of 1 gig ram.