PROBLEM With A DVD Rewritable Drive

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/Blu-ray Technology' started by JayDallas, Dec 2, 2008.

1. JayDallas

JayDallas New Member

Hi all,
    i have recently been having trouble with my DVD-R drive. it wont read anything! when i click the button to open it on my XPS m1210 laptop it will open, and when i put in a CD or DVD into it and close it back up, it will sound like it is loading, and the drive begins to run, and the little CD icon flashes next to my curser a couple of times, and then the drive stops running, and thats it:mad:. when i go into my computer and click on the CD drive, it is empty as if it dosent recognize that there is a disc inside of it. its weird because it spins and everything right when i put a disc in, but it shows on my computer like it has no disc in it. I dont get it. Could you guys tell me whats wrong? i really need help on this.

thanks guys

Jay

2. JayDallas

JayDallas New Member

and if i try to boot my comp from a cd to reinstall windows(i thought i would be able to do this to fix the drive problem) it just boots from the Hard Drive anyway because the disc drive dosent work. this means im kind of stuck. i really need help on this guys.

thanks,

Jay

3. arisejesus

arisejesus New Member

4. logies

logies New Member

lens may be gone.Once lens gone It can not be ready anything.so there may be a problem

5. JayDallas

JayDallas New Member

and i noticed somthing else. when i put in a music cd and try to open up itunes to try and import the cd onto my computer, itunes gives me this message " WARNING!: The registry settings used by the itunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall itunes." so i tried to reinstall it, and it gave me the same message. this is the first warning or problem message i have gotten about this issue. i cant figure out what the problem is!

6. logies

logies New Member

I have had a similar problem with my DVD in the past, I think lense problem,

7. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Try replacing the drive with a known good one from a friend or something. Another thing you can do is uninstall the burner from device manager and reboot and let windows reinstall the driver for it and see if that helps any.

8. JayDallas

JayDallas New Member

^^^

I tried that and it didnt work. i dont have a drive that i could try in my computer. thanks for the help so far though guys.

Jay

9. logies

logies New Member

I am facing lot of problems about DVD Rewritable Drive, i would suggest this site ,

10. JayDallas

JayDallas New Member

i must be the first person to get this porblem because nothing will fix it! i dont know what to do!

11. teddy picker

teddy picker New Member

I had a similar problem but not w/a DVD drive, it was a basic CD-RW drive that originally came with my machine. I came to the conclusion that the drive died (lens issue i think). I would recommend buying a new one from a newegg.com or something like that. I got mine (Samsung DVD-RW) over 2 yrs ago for 30 bucks I think.

12. JayDallas

JayDallas New Member

So I switched drives with a buddy of mine who has the same exact computer and same drive. I put his drive in my computer and it didn't work. He put my drve in his computer and it worked! So it can't be the drive itself that is having the problem. Somthing is wrong with my computer.

13. teddy picker

teddy picker New Member

What ab the connectors? Maybe the signal between the drive and the processor is bad.

14. JayDallas

JayDallas New Member

Ya, but the computer is still ditectng a drive is attached and the iTunes problem message shows, so I don't think it's faulty connections.

15. teddy picker

teddy picker New Member

At this point, I'm kind of throwing ideas around. Maybe check to see if there is some type of driver update? If it's possible, check your buddy's computer (who you swapped the drive with) and see what driver he has and compare that to yours. That could be it, but maybe that wouldn't spawn the type of problem you're having, I'm not sure, but I would say it's worth a shot.

16. JayDallas

JayDallas New Member

where on the computer do i go to find out what driver is being used?