PROBLEM With A DVD Rewritable Drive

JayDallas

Hi all,
i have recently been having trouble with my DVD-R drive. it wont read anything! when i click the button to open it on my XPS m1210 laptop it will open, and when i put in a CD or DVD into it and close it back up, it will sound like it is loading, and the drive begins to run, and the little CD icon flashes next to my curser a couple of times, and then the drive stops running, and thats it:mad:. when i go into my computer and click on the CD drive, it is empty as if it dosent recognize that there is a disc inside of it. its weird because it spins and everything right when i put a disc in, but it shows on my computer like it has no disc in it. I dont get it. Could you guys tell me whats wrong? i really need help on this.

thanks guys

Jay

JayDallas

and if i try to boot my comp from a cd to reinstall windows(i thought i would be able to do this to fix the drive problem) it just boots from the Hard Drive anyway because the disc drive dosent work. this means im kind of stuck. i really need help on this guys.

thanks,

Jay

JayDallas

and i noticed somthing else. when i put in a music cd and try to open up itunes to try and import the cd onto my computer, itunes gives me this message " WARNING!: The registry settings used by the itunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall itunes." so i tried to reinstall it, and it gave me the same message. this is the first warning or problem message i have gotten about this issue. i cant figure out what the problem is!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try replacing the drive with a known good one from a friend or something. Another thing you can do is uninstall the burner from device manager and reboot and let windows reinstall the driver for it and see if that helps any.

JayDallas

^^^

I tried that and it didnt work. i dont have a drive that i could try in my computer. thanks for the help so far though guys.

Jay

teddy picker

I had a similar problem but not w/a DVD drive, it was a basic CD-RW drive that originally came with my machine. I came to the conclusion that the drive died (lens issue i think). I would recommend buying a new one from a newegg.com or something like that. I got mine (Samsung DVD-RW) over 2 yrs ago for 30 bucks I think.

JayDallas

So I switched drives with a buddy of mine who has the same exact computer and same drive. I put his drive in my computer and it didn't work. He put my drve in his computer and it worked! So it can't be the drive itself that is having the problem. Somthing is wrong with my computer.

JayDallas

Ya, but the computer is still ditectng a drive is attached and the iTunes problem message shows, so I don't think it's faulty connections.

teddy picker

At this point, I'm kind of throwing ideas around. Maybe check to see if there is some type of driver update? If it's possible, check your buddy's computer (who you swapped the drive with) and see what driver he has and compare that to yours. That could be it, but maybe that wouldn't spawn the type of problem you're having, I'm not sure, but I would say it's worth a shot.