Problem With my Gateway

Bobo

banned
mikey4865 said:
yeah thats what it looks like and I know i put it in correctly
Well if you are positive about that then there are very few options left:

1. The IDE controller on the motherboard is dead
  2. The IDE socket on the motherboard is dead (try the other one, there should be 2)
  3. The IDE cable is dead (not likely)
  4. Both drives have some weird crazy problem that prevents the computer from seeing them
  5. Something is screwed with the jumpers
Look on the back of both drives. On the left or the right of the IDE connector, do you see a set of pins? (generally 8 pins in 2 rows) There should be a little black thing (jumper) connecting 2 of the pins, and above the pins, some letters

Or, even better, what are the models of the CD and DVD drives?

mikey4865

ok so there is 2 places where i can plug in the cable, i pluged the cable that was going into the hard drive into the other spot where i originally had the Cd and DVD drive cable, then a thing pops up and says Operating system not found!!! does this meanthat the other socket for the cable is burnt out?

Bobo

banned
mikey4865 said:
ok so there is 2 places where i can plug in the cable, i pluged the cable that was going into the hard drive into the other spot where i originally had the Cd and DVD drive cable, then a thing pops up and says Operating system not found!!! does this meanthat the other socket for the cable is burnt out?
Does it see the optical drives and not the hard drives if you switch the cables like that? (in the BIOS) If so, then that socket is almost certainly dead.

Check to make sure that none of the pins are bent, and that there is no dust or anything else in it

Bobo

banned
Optical drives--cd/dvd drives

Go into the BIOS

find the hardware tab or whatever similar and see what is listed

Bobo

banned
well that depends on the computer

When the computer first turns on, look for something that says "press *** to enter setup/BIOS" and hit that key. It is generally delete or F1

What is the exact model of the computer?

Bobo

banned
Look for a hardware tab, then see what hardware is listed

Do you have the hard drive or the cd/dvd drives in the "dead" slot right now?

mikey4865

IDE Controler: (options are): Diable, Primary, Secondary, Both
Hard Disk Pre-Delay: (options): 3sec 6sec 12sec etc.
Primary IDE Master
Primary IDE Slave
Secondary IDE Master
Primary IDE Slave

now what else do ya wanan know

Bobo

banned
sorry i was gone for a minute

Are there no drives listed under primary ide master, slave, etc? And they are connected?

Can you boot the OS?

mikey4865

there are these choices, AUTO, NONE, ATAPI REMOVABLE, CD-ROM, IDE REMOVABLE, OTHR ATAPI, USER

under the selection it shows the maximum capacity which cannot change the others i can change unless i have set the thing to AUTO.