ps3 performance equivalent to.. ?

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think both are to blame here but Sony really isn't making it easy for programmers. Microsoft gave 10MB of super-fast RAM to the GPU, with 512MB of normal ram to be shared between everything. This makes for better use of RAM. The PS3 has a forced divider between the two so if the developers don't use all 256MB of RAM in the GPU or system, then it is wasted and unable to be used by the other component. Also, Sony over-complicated everything by putting the cell cpu in the PS3, not only did it make it more difficult to code for, it costs a lot more money than the Xenon in the 360, without much to show for it since the 360 has been shown to be roughly equal graphics-wise. Now this could be because the Xenon is easier to code for and thus developers are able to more utilize its "potential" then it is Sony's fault or it could be that the Xbox 360 is just as good at processing information as the PS3 . The PS3 has a lot of limitations for programmers that are actually the fault of the Cell architecture.

I totally agree with you. Cell processors are used in blade servers, why in the hell would you want it in your gaming console? Plus they lack all the multi-media extensions that the consumer processors have built into them. Those processors are made for serious business not for fun and games.

However, I do feel that the developers are partly to blame. I read the development blog of MGS4 and was totally unimpressed. They used almost the whole capacity of the BluRady disc with little or nothing to show for it. They didn't compress anything. I mean for god's sake, if you have a 7 core processor that is built like a Mac Truck on crack with NOS going down hill with 500 MPH wind at it's back, why not use compression technology? My quad core processor encrypts and compresses files that are multiple gigabytes in size in a matter of seconds. I can compress a DVD image and decompress it in under a minute, that is 4.7 Gigs of data. I mean why in the hell are they not utilizing compression technology? It is because BluRay allows the developers to be lazy.

Compression technology is getting better and better every year and it is keeping up with everything else.

Also, the SDK, just like Microsoft, Sony gave it out to developers about 2 years or so before the PS3 launch (just like MS with Vista) and the developers had plenty of time to utilize this new technology, yet they don't.

I think overall the PS3 is a FAIL, because of it's cost versus it's benefits and we all know that future-proof is a made up word. As soon as the next xbox comes out Sony will release the PS4 to compete and then everyone who bought a PS3 will be pissed off because it was suppose to be future-proof.

I will buy a PS3 when they are cheap, I do want to play MGS4, but until then I can wait, or if they finally start getting games that I really really want to play.

bm23

I think thats a little generous the comp in you sig can run crysis, I ps3 would never come close to running a game with the same visual standards.

i think we would have to wait for a few games coming out this year to really judge the ps3 performance. namely (I THINK), GT5 and FF13. and beside, the ps3 has 7 cores as oppose to 2 in the 8400

Aastii

VIP Member
PS3 and a PC cannot be compared because they use totally different types of components, it isn't the same 240 pin or even laptop RAM, it isn't close to the same as a PC, processors are different, GPU, "motherboard", they are nothing like a computer's. Xbox have a similar set up to a computer but still vastly different in certain respects, but hey, xbox are microsoft, stick to what you know.

XanderCage

PS3 and a PC cannot be compared because they use totally different types of components, it isn't the same 240 pin or even laptop RAM, it isn't close to the same as a PC, processors are different, GPU, "motherboard", they are nothing like a computer's. Xbox have a similar set up to a computer but still vastly different in certain respects, but hey, xbox are microsoft, stick to what you know.

Well; you are partly correct. However, all the chips in the PS3 XBOX360 are based, if not the exact same on computer counterparts. The PS3'S RSX chip is based on the 7800GTX chip, or g71 i believe. It has similar architecture, and performance.