ps3 vs. desktop

CPTMuller

Meh, get windows from your old PC
AMD Athlon X2 3600+ 1.9Ghz - 59
Abit KN9S nForce 550 - 79.99
Supertalent 667Mhz C5 DDR2 RAM - 84.99 (Promo code available)
XFX 7600GT 256MB - 119.99 (-20 MIR)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro - 29.99
Cooler Master Elite ATX Case - 39.99 (-10 MIR)
Samsung Spinpoint 200GB 7200Rpm SATA HDD - 55.99
Lite-on DVD-RW SATA Optical Drive - 25.99
Hiper 480W PSU - 49.99

Grand Total: $545.92

(links are in the blog (the link to which is my sig.) search Low On Money?)

CPTMuller

I think that the 7600GT beats the PS3 in a windows/linux enviorment due to the fact that it can be optimized to its full potential.

ezefosure

Meh, get windows from your old PC
AMD Athlon X2 3600+ 1.9Ghz - 59
Abit KN9S nForce 550 - 79.99
Supertalent 667Mhz C5 DDR2 RAM - 84.99 (Promo code available)
XFX 7600GT 256MB - 119.99 (-20 MIR)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro - 29.99
Cooler Master Elite ATX Case - 39.99 (-10 MIR)
Samsung Spinpoint 200GB 7200Rpm SATA HDD - 55.99
Lite-on DVD-RW SATA Optical Drive - 25.99
Hiper 480W PSU - 49.99

Grand Total: $545.92

(links are in the blog (the link to which is my sig.) search Low On Money?)

You're missing the blu-ray drive!!! lol

TheOrangeDude

blu ray is not gonna help in gaming....

yup. the blu ray is just way for sony to ask for more money for no reason. it have nothing to do with gaming at all what so ever. and it self is so god damn expansive. lol give me a break watch hd movie. I can easily download them off a HD movie forum I use to go.

ezefosure

It doesnt matter. its something that the ps3 is capable of that the pc isnt. Even if the computer can do more than the ps3, its still impossible to build any type of computer with blu ray capabilities taht math the ps3's price when a blu ray player alone for the pc would cost around 500-600.

wafflez

>_>, as a ps3 owner, I must step in. I'm running yellow dog linux on mine. Everything is fast as far as running normal programs go...But the specs on the ps3 are peculiar...The video card has 256mb of ram for itself as well as another 256 for the system itself. Now sony, after having the psp fiasco, is afraid of iso loaders and other forms of piracy so they put on a hypervisor that block access to the rsx video card. This means you'll have a VERY fast processor (yellow dog uses 6/8 cores), but only 256mb of ram and no video card...So as far as running everyday programs such as internet, open office, etc on linux, it's quick and responsive. But for the 3d cube thing on ubuntu, I've heard you can only have 2 desktops at a time to switch with the cubeyness.

I would go with the pc only because I like windows more.

CPTMuller

ezefosure It is not a viable option to use a PS3 for more than email/text editing/ youtube. However the PS3 does shine in the capabilities built into its own OS, BluRay viewing, BluRay gaming ETC. Now I know that you cant get that in a computer for 600, but it is comparing aples to oranges. Any PS3 fanboi will tell you it owns a PC and any other person will agree with the majority of this forum. The PS3 has its merits but there is no way you can compare the uses it has in linux to prettymuch any 600 Dollar PC because there are so many different things that the PC offers that you. You also need to realize that Sony looses plenty of money on every PS3 that they sell because they can make it up when they sell games controllers and other parephenellia/peripheral goodies.

In essence you have to like the PS3 or BluRay to get a PS3...

My 2cents..I suppose I typed 25cents worth><

Styrak

It doesnt matter. its something that the ps3 is capable of that the pc isnt. Even if the computer can do more than the ps3, its still impossible to build any type of computer with blu ray capabilities taht math the ps3's price when a blu ray player alone for the pc would cost around 500-600.

EXCUSE ME? You're being very ignorant there. PC's can do much more than a PS3, yet you complain that a PC doesn't have a Blu-ray drive.
???

12-Gauge

Blu-ray does help with gaming. It means that with large games (20GB+) you can use one disk rather than having to have multiple install disks. I see that as a bonus

CPTMuller

That is a viable reason, but only if you are really lazy. If there was a PC game that was 20+ GB then it would be compressed onto maybe 3 dvds.
Styrak, let the ignorant go on living. He however values the BluRay drive as a selling point where most do not, which would make a 600 dollar PS3 for his purposes a way better investment. He has some validity because the PS3 is a bargain considering how much sony looses on each one.

ADE

banned
all you fail to address the main point of why we get these. Games. And if you notice, as the more game you buy, the more money you spend. duh. Its like a printer, you can get one on sale for free after rebate, the the ink Cartridge cost a shit load. Or you can get the expensive one, and pay almost nothing for the cartridge. Same for PS3 and PC. PC games cost less cuz to put a game on a CD or DVD cost less for the disk itself. Now a blue ray, cost like, $30 just for the disk. In the end, a PC will be less expensive, due to just that. Burned PS3, BURNED!

ADE

banned
Blu-ray does help with gaming. It means that with large games (20GB+) you can use one disk rather than having to have multiple install disks. I see that as a bonus

Honestly, all I have to say is that I thought due to different OS there are different formats. And I also thought that PC format would be much smaller. Like compressed in a way. As for a PS3 game, I can see that have to have the file unzipped and there for, make the file larger thus cousin the need to have a bigger disk space. And don't forget, a Hard drive runs at 7200RPM+ what does a disk go at???....no where near. Thus can reduce seeking and loading time. If your worried about space, get a TB hard drive.

CPTMuller

No, your right, when you install something into windows from a disk it is generally compressed pretty well.

heyman421

banned
Nobody's going to say you couldn't make a desktop better than a ps3.

But the fact of the matter is that a ps3's performance simply cannot be matched for the price, due to the factored cost of software, and peripherals, which all accumulate sony kickbacks either directly or indirectly through licensing fees.

But all of you failed to take into consideration that many people never purchase software at all. And i'm not talking about illegal duplication, either. Console gamers have the possibility of renting games, which is an entire concept that doesn't exist for the PC-gamer.

And now with things like the blockbuster unlimited rental pass, or whatever the game equivalent of netflix is, renting games is a real option. You figure, for less than the cost of a game each month, you can play all the games you want.

And all of the folks who say "Oh, blu-ray discs are for LAZY people" are themselves being ignorant, because there was NO END to the BS harrassment i got about how people have "Legitimate needs" to back their game discs up onto their computers, or apply "No-DISC" patches because changing discs is a PITA in an earlier thread, about how game patches and cracks were defintely ethical and necessary to be discussed here. I'll even dig up the thread, if you want.

I don't even own a console, i'm stricly a PC user, and i have no problem seeing that the pro-PC side of this debate is being just as unfair and nearsighted as the Console side.

PC= the best possible gaming experience
Console=easiest, and UNMATCHED $/performance

There's no arguing it. PC gaming costs more, period.

Last edited: