ps3 vs. desktop

ADE

banned
I don't believe that. An also, think about it, PS3 is trying to make money, duh? Well, just like people in Alienware, PS3 selling price, is not the actual worth. If you get down to the actual value, you would see a significant price drop. i don't think they are losing money for the price they have now. OK, sure, they have a 6/8 core procor. Great, it still isn't that good. Especially sine its all alone. Plus, you all forget another thing about PC. you can build a decent PC for a good price, AND then you can overclock it. there for saving you money to match performance.

edit- another thing, when I say that the price would be lower, that's meant to say the hardware is crap and that's why. They raise the price, make money. BUT! if you build your own PC. that don't happen, and there fore, parts are cheaper, and better for the same price. Put it together, and wa la.

Last edited:

heyman421

banned
i wasn't guessing

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20061116/085020.shtml

http://www.ps3focus.com/archives/167

and truth be told, a comparison between alienware (or any other computer manufacturer) and sony is completely irrelevant

think about it, for all intents and purposes, sony has a MONOPOLY on all peripherals and software created for their system. they have your entire lifetime of using the playstation to create profit for themselves

alienware just makes the box, and then your business with them is over. the computer itself is their only chance to make money on the sale

Last edited:

[-GEO-]

banned
Kindof-late:
Fedora Core runs like crap on the PS3. It is comparable to a PII 533 mhz, no joke. It took my PS3 like 8 seconds to open Firefox. Ubuntu runs a tad faster, but not by much. The linux kernel isn't really meant to run on that type of processor, but with some major tweaking it should run faster.

heyman421

banned
I'm not suprised.

PC-console conversions usually end with bad results.

My roomate last year had a SNES emulator for his ps2 that runs at like 10FPS on most games.

I'm pretty sure the same emulator would have run on my p2 300.

CPTMuller

"And all of the folks who say "Oh, blu-ray discs are for LAZY people" are themselves being ignorant, because there was NO END to the BS harrassment i got about how people have "Legitimate needs" to back their game discs up onto their computers, or apply "No-DISC" patches because changing discs is a PITA in an earlier thread, about how game patches and cracks were defintely ethical and necessary to be discussed here. I'll even dig up the thread, if you want."

You are an idiot. I was arguing that someone who wants to use a bluray disk to install because they don't want to deal with swapping disks is lazy. There is no reference to NOCD cracks or using ISO files to boot games.

"Nobody's going to say you couldn't make a desktop better than a ps3.

But the fact of the matter is that a ps3's performance simply cannot be matched for the price, due to the factored cost of software, and peripherals, which all accumulate sony kickbacks either directly or indirectly through licensing fees."

Uhh...
"You wouldn't be able to build an equivalent PC for the price of a ps3, they're sold at a loss in anticipation of software sales, it would outperform a computer worth much much more."

'Nuff Said. I lied: Read the whole thread...

Beyond that you cant argue that the PS3 plays games better because it is apples and oranges. The PS3 cant play Crysis upon release just as a PC cant play Resistance: Fall Of Man. In linux the PS3 is nowhere near optimized to run games, I suppose you could rewrite the whole game to optimize the PS3 specs, but thats what PS3 games are for.

heyman421

banned
i have no idea what that post was intended to convey

and i'm pretty sure you just quoted ME earlier in the thread to emphasize that i didn't read the thread? I was re-emphasizing the fact that the ps3 is sold at a LOSS, since everyone apparently missed that part, and continued to insist that by some act of god, they could build a comparable tower for the same price.

And i never said a PS3 game is going to play PC games better than a PC. The entire idea is ludicrous. Look at the specs that are required to emulate a ps1 or ps2 game. They're 4x or 5x more than the specs of the original console. I'm simply saying that a ps2 is much more powerful than any PC you could build with the same money.

Last edited:

CPTMuller

Fair enough. I guess I got the wrong meaning out of your post.... I did say that the PS3 is sold at a loss myself... But the OP was saying that you can use a PS3 to run both PS3 games and emulate PC games through linux.

Depending on which you prefer PC or PS3 a 600 dollar PC is better or a 600dollar PS3 is better. But you can NOT get both from one.

ADE

banned
Like I said, you don't have to buy a PC at the same price and expect it to run the same....STOCK! You overclock it. That right there could easily do this. And I think your all full of fat cheese. PS3 is not powerful. it sux. IMO. My 1st computer, a Compaq, played F.E.A.R. at higher levels than the 360. and this was 3 years ago. No to mention it coasted less than $600, less than $500 to be true. how? I overclocked it. I have had real life experience there by prove to me and all that have used that old computer, that it is very well possible. Please don't say crap like you all are, I have seen the truth, and I know the truth. you don't have to start from scratch, just build onto what you have like i did. And there you go.

Old Compaq specs

2x512MB PC2700 RAM.
AMD Sempron 3000+ (OC to 2.2GHz)
Geforce 6200 AGP
no idea what the hell MOBO
Crap ass Stock case
Copper heatsink with Arctic silver 5
$20 PSU
Computer itself costed $200

Ask yourself this, would you willingly replace all the computers in your house with ps3's? Didn't think so.

Would I willingly replace all my gaming consoles with computers? Already done.

zaroba

erm...guys...your forgetting a few factors.

while true a pc generally IS more expensive, that is due to the fact that a pc can do much more then a counsle.

a counsle can play games great despite having hardware that is easily ancient or old by PC standards simply because it is programmed to do that and only that. whereas on the pc the hardware does much more stuff then just boot up from a game disc and run the game.

as for me, i'd take a pc over a counsle. on a pc you can MOD the games, which in my opinion is a vast benefit to pc gaming since if you get bored of the game or have done everyhting in it, you can download a mod that can completly change it or add new things. many games have mods released, oblivion, gta 3/vice city/san andreas, the whole sims and sim city series, half life, and lots of other games. these aren't official mods either, these are mods made by players.

theres also the fact that you can do so much more on a pc then on a counsle. sure, a counsle can do media playing, internet access, and gaming. but can you do your taxes on a counsle? what about 3d modelling or video editing? how about fixing something when it breaks or upgrading? its easy to upgrade a pc or replace a busted stick of ram in a pc. the only way to upgrade a counsle is to buy a new one.

how about different formats?
when it comes to gaming on pc, the main format that a vast majority of pc users have is windows, and knowing this, developers release games lots of games for it. no matter what brand of pc you have, you can play the game if you have the right hardware.
for counsles you have...well, every counsle on the market. not all games are available for all counsles. kinda limits your gaming unless you buy each counsle, but then the cost would be well over that of a pc.

how about backwards compatibility?
pretty much any pc can play any older game as long as it meets or exceeds the requirements of that game. thats ANY game, even games from back in the early 1990s. find me a counsle with that kind of backwards compatibility.

so...when it comes down to it...
a pc is backwards compatible with the earliest games made for pc, and it has only one main format that games are released for. thus you have a selection of thousands, if not millions of games to play on a computer. then if you mod them, that number grows even more.

having a single counsle will cause you to have a much smaller selection of possibly less then a hundred games to play due to the fact that different counsles use different formats and have even used different media types threw the years which drasticly limits backwards compatibility.

(p.s. yes, i know i didn't bring up linux or macos. but then, i know little about them so it wouldn't be right for me to talk about them)

Last edited: