PSU failing? Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The VCR King

What you're seeing is brown-outs. That is REALLY bad for your pc.
After reading about how reliable Lacquer Head's PC Power and Cooling unit was, I'll be buying one of their Silencer MK III 750-watt units for my PC, because with all my other components that PSU should also power a 390.

Also would a UPS help with my PSU browning out until it's replaced or would it still happen?

Edit: also what could fail in a PSU to make it brown out a PC?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

Laquer Head

Yeah, John is right.. go with a cheaper (price) like that Corsair.. they are rock solid PSU and a fraction of the cost of a Silencer,,,or others.

To be fair, my success/luck with the Silencer I posted about might be unique..who knows!? I'd use their stuff again, but in your scenario--take Johns recommendation and go with a trusted name with a more manageable price point!!

beers

Staff member
Seriously??? How do you have the budget for a $210 psu like that?
This is advice I would take. $210 is ridiculous for that unit and you could do much better with your limited budget.

Hell, my EVGA G2 1600w cost less than the silencer you were looking at..

Laquer Head

Yeah, I just tried to look back at my account to see what i paid for my silencer back then,,,but it just has total bill. I swear it was never in the $200+ range... CRAZY!

Laquer Head

It's only because of the availability from the new vendor, hikes the price up. They were decently priced before but not now.

Yeah, I figured as much..very unfortunate cause the unit I threaded about the other night is such a sweet PSU!

spirit

Staff member
I found a 760w one refurbished at my local MicroCenter. Will this power my system?:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/457171/PPCS760-B_760W_ATX_Power_Supply_Refurbished

I know it isn't modular but to be honest I don't care if it is or not.
Ehh it should be OK I guess but I don't know if I'd go with a refurb PSU when you can get a CX750M for not too much more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051&cm_re=cx750m-_-17-139-051-_-Product I don't know how old that refurb PCPC unit is either. Best to go with something new I think to get the longest life out of it. Corsair is a great brand, as the others have said, PCPC isn't the 'be all and end all'. There's lots of other good manufacturers out there too.

If you care about cable management then you will care that it's modular. My 4 year old OCZ ZS 650W (which btw is still running well) isn't modular and since then I've done builds for other people with some of Corsair's semi-modular and fully-modular power supplies and I much preferred them and found systems with the modular systems much easier to build because I wasn't forever trying to hide useless cables behind drive bays and things. I recently rebuilt my system using the same power supply in a different case (I went from an old NZXT Lexa S to an NZXT H440) and whilst the H440 has that nice PSU shroud to help hide cables, the cable management was still fairly tiresome and cumbersome to do because of all of the cables I had to hide. Not to mention a lot of new power supplies have nice flat cables these days which makes hiding cables behind panels easier and it makes the cables looks nicer. The thick cables on my old OCZ unit got a bit annoying too and certainly made it harder to put the side panel back on in my old case (the Lexa S). The majority of new budget power supplies these days are semi-modular, you should therefore consider a semi-modular power supply. You don't really need a fully-modular unit, but semi-modular is definitely nice to have.

Laquer Head

I found a 760w one refurbished at my local MicroCenter. Will this power my system?:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/457171/PPCS760-B_760W_ATX_Power_Supply_Refurbished

I know it isn't modular but to be honest I don't care if it is or not.

Man, I almost feel bad I even mentioned my Silencer..lol

First, I would NOT buy a refurbed PSU. You want a new, warrantied unit that isn't someone elses heartache.

Second, dont rush.. I know money is always a consideration but rushing ends in a hasty decision...one that may end poorly

Third, I highly recommend to take the advice of several of the members on here, and go with a new, solid Corsair PSU. The prices are awesome on them and they are workhorses, you got enough guys/gals here with Corsairs who have positive, hands on use.

Dude, I know this has been a pain in the ass for you, we've all been there..whether its poor teenager, poor student, poor adult, poor family... we have ALL been there and had to either save, borrow, beg to get that next part. Just wait, be as patient as possible, borrow the $$, do chores..anything. But dont rush-- once you have that brand new PSU you'll be glad you did it properly.

The VCR King

Man, I almost feel bad I even mentioned my Silencer..lol

First, I would NOT buy a refurbed PSU. You want a new, warrantied unit that isn't someone elses heartache.

Second, dont rush.. I know money is always a consideration but rushing ends in a hasty decision...one that may end poorly

Third, I highly recommend to take the advice of several of the members on here, and go with a new, solid Corsair PSU. The prices are awesome on them and they are workhorses, you got enough guys/gals here with Corsairs who have positive, hands on use.

Dude, I know this has been a pain in the ass for you, we've all been there..whether its poor teenager, poor student, poor adult, poor family... we have ALL been there and had to either save, borrow, beg to get that next part. Just wait, be as patient as possible, borrow the $$, do chores..anything. But dont rush-- once you have that brand new PSU you'll be glad you did it properly.
Thanks man. I'm thinking about the Corsair GS800 because the blue LEDs look nice and match my case but the only ones at MicroCenter are also refurbs... I want something that matches my case and is cool like the Apevia Iceberg but not a hot-glued-together chinese POS...

Laquer Head

I'd go with modular first before I thought about the color. I could be wrong but it seems to be Non-Modular..not sure?

The VCR King

I'd go with modular first before I thought about the color. I could be wrong but it seems to be Non-Modular..not sure?
Yeah the GS800 isn't modular. I really want a PC Power and Cooling unit because they are really reliable, but as said above their prices really are inflated. :(

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Corsair. End of subject. Stop flopping because your ideas are stupid. Listen to us for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.