PSU failing? Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The VCR King

Thanks!

Also I am really into electronics and building things and I have a saudering iron. Before I throw away my Cougar CMX would there be any parts inside it worth salvaging for other side projects or should I just trash the whole unit?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Thanks!

Also I am really into electronics and building things and I have a saudering iron. Before I throw away my Cougar CMX would there be any parts inside it worth salvaging for other side projects or should I just trash the whole unit?
Do you ever listen to anyone? Oke already said you'd be up for a Darwin award if you opened a psu.

Laquer Head

Thanks!

Just make sure you plug it in before you open it, keep your hands warm..

IMPORTANT: I AM JOKING... DO NOT DO THIS... YOU WILL DIE, VIOLENTLY MOST PROBABLY!! I REPEAT... I AM JOKING!!!!

The VCR King

Just make sure you plug it in before you open it, keep your hands warm..

IMPORTANT: I AM JOKING... DO NOT DO THIS... YOU WILL DIE, VIOLENTLY MOST PROBABLY!! I REPEAT... I AM JOKING!!!!
Lol OK, I'll throw it away... or can I take it to a recycling center?

spirit

Staff member
For you I would get the CX750M since you seem to want to use multiple GPUs down the road for some reason which I don't understand since you've already experienced the bad side of having multiple cards when you were having endless driver problems and then eventually one your 6950s died, but there you go. :rolleyes: I would recommend just having one high-end GPU and if you got that single 390, by the time you need to get another one it would be a better idea to just sell it and get another high-end GPU available at the time. The CXM units are also modular and affordable. I've explained to you before why modular is good.

If it were me I'd actually get the RM650 because that's an 80+ Gold PSU and is very good quality. It's slightly more expensive but it will run your system fine and that PSU should last a while. It's probably even powerful enough to run two 390s anyway, we aren't living in the days when you needed at least 750W for two cards after all.

Don't open up power supplies. There's nothing worth salvaging. That PSU wasn't even worth having in the first place to be honest.

Last edited:

The VCR King

I really want a PC Power and Cooling because of their reliability, and my local MicroCenter has some refurbed 750w Silencer MKII's for $50. Although it is refurbished is it a good unit?

Laquer Head

I really want a PC Power and Cooling because of their reliability, and my local MicroCenter has some refurbed 750w Silencer MKII's for $50. Although it is refurbished is it a good unit?

The next thing you know, your ass is going to get banned from the forum.. I'm calling it now.

The VCR King

The next thing you know, your ass is going to get banned from the forum.. I'm calling it now.
I'm sorry I'm just confused as what to do. I can't afford a new PSU right now, and I have no choice but to run the failing POS I got now because it's the only "working" PC I own and the family uses the PC as well. I have it set to do daily and nightly backups in case it finally craps out and takes my rig with it. I'll just get a Corsair like said above. I'll stop going around in circles with this. Sorry, guys. :oops:

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm sorry I'm just confused as what to do. I can't afford a new PSU right now, and I have no choice but to run the failing POS I got now because it's the only "working" PC I own and the family uses the PC as well. I have it set to do daily and nightly backups in case it finally craps out and takes my rig with it. I'll just get a Corsair like said above. I'll stop going around in circles with this. Sorry, guys. :oops:
Stop buying useless crap then! You always make posts about buying outdated video cards to run in CF/SLI, buying car radios to put in PCs, buying computers from the 1990's, etc. Just save up and get a good PSU.

Laquer Head

Thing is, most of us are adults and many have their own children. Its been the same thing over and over and over again, and it's tiresome-- to the point people get fed up and just give you angry, annoyed responses.

We understand you need a new PSU, but at the end of the day-- tough luck, lots of things in life I couldn't do/afford until I either saved or had a job to purchase it. Being young sucks, but your not the only one and sympathy has well runout.

If the family uses it too then have your parents buy a new psu.

That's a good point, if it's a family machine, and there is a valid issue, I don't see why the adults in your household wouldn't spring for a new PSU. If they rarely use it, and assume its mainly for your luxury, well I don't blame them for not supporting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.