PSU Wattage

hawil

What is the relationship between the wattage of the PSU and the computer components? Like motherboard, HD, CPU, and other related components.

mihir

VIP Member
What is the relationship between the wattage of the PSU and the computer components? Like motherboard, HD, CPU, and other related components.

Every component needs different amount of power like the CPU,Memory,HDD,GPU,ODD,Fans etc require power that power requirement which is measured in watts is summed up and the PSU required to power that system would be 1.25(different for different efficiencies) times the total power requirements assuming 80% efficiency :D.

hawil

Every component needs different amount of power like the CPU,Memory,HDD,GPU,ODD,Fans etc require power that power requirement which is measured in watts is summed up and the PSU required to power that system would be 1.25(different for different efficiencies) times the total power requirements assuming 80% efficiency :D.

Nose bleeds!:eek: So, I would sum up the total wattage of the components used and then that will be the basis on what PSU will be bought? Correct or not really?

hawil

I had read it 3 times to understand XD

Will it be okay that the PSU will exceed the total wattage of the components?

linkin

VIP Member
It goes like this.

Components have a TDP (power draw) that takes power from the +12v rail, measured in watts.

PSU has power on +12v rail, measured in watts/amps (both will be shown)

Efficiency determines what the PSU will draw from the wall, affecting your power pill. If the components need 600W and the PSU is 50% efficient, the PSU will be drawing 1200W from the wall. (only a terrible PSU would have anywhere near 50% efficiency, even poor ones are 70% ish)

StrangleHold

Staff member
I'll start from here, how do I know the needed watts of the components?

Is this some kind of a game? Do you except someone to list every know hardware with its wattage?

You give us the components you want and you will be told.

hawil

I haven't thought of the hardware to use, i'm still trying to understand how the wattage works. Lets say for example, my rig needs 500W then I will use a 700W PSU, will that be okay? How does it really work, the PSU wattage should be the same with the rig consumption, or above, or below the required rig consumption?

StrangleHold

Staff member
I haven't thought of the hardware to use, i'm still trying to understand how the wattage works. Lets say for example, my rig needs 500W then I will use a 700W PSU, will that be okay? How does it really work, the PSU wattage should be the same with the rig consumption, or above, or below the required rig consumption?

Slightly above the wattage usage or more if you might do upgrades later. You dont want to have to replace the power supply everytime you do a upgrade.

hawil

Now it makes things clearer, i'm just worried that if I will supply the hardware with a PSU with a larger wattage it might freak out

StrangleHold

Staff member

Well if your just going to have the normal, one harddrive and DVD/Burner rom. And just using the onboard video you wont need much. I would get a good quality 400/500W power supply. 400W would run it fine, but 500W would give you some overhead. Just stick with a quality Actec/Silverstone/Corsair/XFX/PC P&C/XClio

hawil

ok, got it. I'll be using silverstone st50-es strider 500w as my psu. It's enough wouldn't you say?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeah the Strider is a good power supply. It really just depends on what you can get and the price difference between quality supplies.