PSU Wattage

hawil

You got that right. I'll use this since this is the only cheapest branded psu I found here in my hometown and I can pay it monthly!:good:

hawil

bump

I change my mind. How about this -> Power Choice PC-580w psu. What can you say about this?

Okedokey

Hawil

With respect, you are wasting peoples time. Come back with the final PC components and we will advise on an appropriate PSU. Othewise its a game of chasing one's tail.

Aastii

VIP Member
Ok thanks.

What OS are you planning on using as anything above XP requires 2GB of RAM minimum.

Are you planning on using a dedicated graphics card? Based on the answer being no, you would be fine with a CX400W PSu from corsair. http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/non-modular-psus/builder-series/builder-series-cx400.html which is superior to anything you have listed previously.

Running Win 7 on 512MB, smooth as you like...all I'm saying. If he is just using the system for internet browsing, office applications etc, it is fine, and to OP, I agree completely with bigfella's recommendation for the power supply

hawil

Ok thanks.

What OS are you planning on using as anything above XP requires 2GB of RAM minimum.

Are you planning on using a dedicated graphics card? Based on the answer being no, you would be fine with a CX400W PSu from corsair. http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/non-modular-psus/builder-series/builder-series-cx400.html which is superior to anything you have listed previously.

ok. I'll try to look for that PSU here in my location if that brand and model is available.
I'll be using win7 and yes just onboard graphics card

Running Win 7 on 512MB, smooth as you like...all I'm saying. If he is just using the system for internet browsing, office applications etc, it is fine, and to OP, I agree completely with bigfella's recommendation for the power supply

my RAM is 1gb, that's quite enough right? yup! just for internet browsing, a little programming, and maybe low end games

Aastii

VIP Member
ok. I'll try to look for that PSU here in my location if that brand and model is available.
I'll be using win7 and yes just onboard graphics card

my RAM is 1gb, that's quite enough right? yup! just for internet browsing, a little programming, and maybe low end games

If by "low end games" you mean flash games and solitaire, yes. Don't expect to be playing any "serious" games though, you will be held back by onboard graphics and by the memory, or lack of

Okedokey

Just be aware that aside from my esteemed friend's recommendation, 1GB is the minimum spec for Windows 7.Although I am sure there are situations where 512mb would suffice, i think it is an over exageration to suggest it will be 'smooth as you like'. ;)

I like it very smooth. I don't have any mechanical hard drive page file access which improves 'smoothness' exponentially. With 512mb or ram (or even 1gb), you will see significant page file access which will all be on a (likely low cost) mechanical hard drive.

Add to that he will have some of that 512mb in reserve for the graphics solution, he's likely to only have closer to 446mb for system. Not enough. Then allocate 200mb of that Standby Cache Reserve, and another 200mb to the Free & Zero Page List you have none left. And this is at idle. That means you now have a system that is constantly thrashing the Hard Drive (the biggest bottleneck of any computer), to supply information from the pagefile. Its not me saying, its contained in the MSDN Memory Sizing Guidance White Paper from Microsoft.

Anyway, he has 1GB so it doesn't matter, however 2GB is the sweet spot.

In addition, RAM is super cheap. I have DDR2 800 lying around the office like highlighters. You can get RAM here that will suit for less than 700 Pesos, ($15), or if that is a budget-stretch too far, then I will send him 1GB of DDR2 in the mail.

I am just saying, RAM is always better even in 2D environments.

Last edited:

hawil

If by "low end games" you mean flash games and solitaire, yes. Don't expect to be playing any "serious" games though, you will be held back by onboard graphics and by the memory, or lack of

ok then. I was really planning on installing world of warcraft or i'm being too ambitious?:D

Just be aware that aside from my esteemed friend's recommendation, 1GB is the minimum spec for Windows 7.Although I am sure there are situations where 512mb would suffice, i think it is an over exageration to suggest it will be 'smooth as you like'. ;)

I like it very smooth. I don't have any mechanical hard drive page file access which improves 'smoothness' exponentially. With 512mb or ram (or even 1gb), you will see significant page file access which will all be on a (likely low cost) mechanical hard drive.

Add to that he will have some of that 512mb in reserve for the graphics solution, he's likely to only have closer to 446mb for system. Not enough. Then allocate 200mb of that Standby Cache Reserve, and another 200mb to the Free & Zero Page List you have none left. And this is at idle. That means you now have a system that is constantly thrashing the Hard Drive (the biggest bottleneck of any computer), to supply information from the pagefile. Its not me saying, its contained in the MSDN Memory Sizing Guidance White Paper from Microsoft.

Anyway, he has 1GB so it doesn't matter, however 2GB is the sweet spot.

In addition, RAM is super cheap. I have DDR2 800 lying around the office like highlighters. You can get RAM here that will suit for less than 700 Pesos, ($15), or if that is a budget-stretch too far, then I will send him 1GB of DDR2 in the mail.

I am just saying, RAM is always better even in 2D environments.

woah dude! You know your stuff! cool! Thanks for the link, already looked into it. Yah, its a little bit of a stretch, maybe in the near future though I'll add more RAM, budget is a little bit low right now.

Okedokey

ok then. I was really planning on installing world of warcraft or i'm being too ambitious?:D

woah dude! You know your stuff! cool! Thanks for the link, already looked into it. Yah, its a little bit of a stretch, maybe in the near future though I'll add more RAM, budget is a little bit low right now.

The mobo in your link has a Shader Model 3.0, 7 series nVidia graphics chip so it will run WOW, but poorly. WOW needs something like a HD5450, 8800GT, 9600GT to play well. That is a graphics card that is discrete from the mobo. The PSU I recommended can handle that.

Also note that anything less than 1GB in Windows 7 will render aero effects disabled without a hack - making performance disintigrate. So basically unless you run a Starter version of Win 7, you get noticable lag and wait times.
Btw, PM me your postal address and ill send you another 1GB for free. I have that gear lying around.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
It depends, if he is palying Cata, it may cut it on very low resolution on lowest settings, but if I were a betting man, I wouldn't be putting money on it being constantly playable frame rates, because of both the memory and of the onboard graphics.

Also, unfortunately you can't pm bigfella yet because of sub 100 posts

hawil

The mobo in your link has a Shader Model 3.0, 7 series nVidia graphics chip so it will run WOW, but poorly. WOW needs something like a HD5450, 8800GT, 9600GT to play well. That is a graphics card that is discrete from the mobo. The PSU I recommended can handle that.

Also note that anything less than 1GB in Windows 7 will render aero effects disabled without a hack - making performance disintigrate. So basically unless you run a Starter version of Win 7, you get noticable lag and wait times.
Btw, PM me your postal address and ill send you another 1GB for free. I have that gear lying around.

The psu isn't available here in my location:rolleyes: i'm using power choice PC-580w. so maybe if I added a graphics card it would have no problems?

what?:eek: my address? are you sure with that? It feels weird..:confused:

but if I were a betting man, I wouldn't be putting money on it being constantly playable frame rates, because of both the memory and of the onboard graphics.

what do you mean? kinda confused

Aastii

VIP Member
The psu isn't available here in my location:rolleyes: i'm using power choice PC-580w. so maybe if I added a graphics card it would have no problems?

what?:eek: my address? are you sure with that? It feels weird..:confused:

what do you mean? kinda confused

If you haven't got the PSU yet DO NOT get it. I can not stress enough the importance of getting a good quality power supply. Even if it means cutting back elsewhere or saving for longer, it is crucial you do not get a low quality power supply, which is exactly what you have chosen.

Does the place you are getting it from have a website, and if so can you link it please.

As to what I mean, it won't have enough power to run the games. The memory capacity is too little, the graphics card isn't powerful enough

hawil

:rolleyes: already got the psu 2 days ago. well, i'll just have to live with this and the is named octagon, they have a website but it doesn't work right

oh, i'll just have to save for a graphics card then.