Q6600 or E8400

ScOuT

VIP Member
BMW 335i = e8400 (335i has twin turbo 3 liter inline 6, newer, and faster in a straight line and on a track, and cheaper, and lighter, so it handles better, like a cheap sports car.)
BMW 650i = Q6600 (650i is an older model, has a V8 making more power, but its heavier, slower, but more luxorious than the 335i and also more expensive, and still has a naturally aspirated V8.)

Now it all makes sense! :eek: That was good, I like that:cool:

My pick would be the Q6600, it might be the "bottom" of the quads....but it is an absolute performer. OC it a bit and you'll be happy with it for a while. Software is slowly migrating towards the quads. Software developers are starting to make one program run on many threads. Can't go wrong with it.;)

ScOuT

VIP Member
It's all just personal choice.....This thread was to help a guy choose what processor to buy and look where it ended:eek:

ZeroWing....it's really up to you, there is a split decision on this one. Both are great products.

By the way....scooter....what do you drive?

scooter

banned
It's all just personal choice.....This thread was to help a guy choose what processor to buy and look where it ended:eek:

ZeroWing....it's really up to you, there is a split decision on this one. Both are great products.

By the way....scooter....what do you drive?

I have an 08 ford escape...lol...

but..

the ride I refer to is a silver 1960 356B Porsche

just under 31,000 built...nothing legendary but my little toy.

lovely?

q6600... its futile to say that the e8400 is faster in the end. run 4 instances of super-pi at the same time and you will see. and to say that by the time quad cores will be utilized, it will be too late, well thats pretty ridiculous.

fade2green514

in my opinion, get the Q6600. im sure i'm not the only gamer that likes to do other things while im gaming... i.e. play music with iTunes, browse the internet (alt+tab), and whatever other processes need processing. this way, even if you're games dont use 4 cores at least they will get an entire core to itself, or 2 entire cores.

in any case, neither of them will bottleneck your games. they will both handle games nowadays without any problem at all. as for next year, well the quad will be around 1.75x as good if not more.

oh, and if a game is not split up into multiple threads then it generally doesnt require a lot of processing power, am i right? they make the games the way they ought to be made they dont just split up a game into multiple threads if a 2ghz celeron could easily process it.

anyways, when it comes to gaming the graphics card matters more so spend some time picking one of those out. i suggest the radeon HD 4850 or for a bit higher end the HD 4870

Last edited:

ZeroWing

ok so im gonna go for the quad just to say that I have one lol :). I can OC to 3ghz and I will definetly be satisfied going from a 2.4ghz AMD processor anyways :). What is the highest that someone has OC'd the Q6600? If I buy a crazy fan for it I mgiht try to go higher if I want more performance. GFX card wise, I have a 9600gt right now. When it drops in price again ill grab the 4870 since I can max all my games with the 9600gt @ this time. THanks for all the help, I am surprised it went up to 3 pages and got side tracked into cars :).

Ramodkk

VIP Member
What is the highest that someone has OC'd the Q6600?

The highest I've seen in here for the Q6600 is 3.85GHz by [-0MEGA-] and the highest E8400 I've seen is 4.7GHz by ThatGuy16 ;) but both with water cooling...

Last edited:

Interested

Screw BMW. MB/Mclaren ftw.

lol. why does everyone hate on BMW's?

IMHO, (not to be rude or anything), mb's are shit unless you are talking about a cls 500 or better, and those can break down too. maybe a cls would be as low as good. but what good is mclaren? and u know the mclaren F1 was powered by a BMW engine?

sry for going OT

fade2green514

ok so im gonna go for the quad just to say that I have one lol :). I can OC to 3ghz and I will definetly be satisfied going from a 2.4ghz AMD processor anyways :). What is the highest that someone has OC'd the Q6600? If I buy a crazy fan for it I mgiht try to go higher if I want more performance. GFX card wise, I have a 9600gt right now. When it drops in price again ill grab the 4870 since I can max all my games with the 9600gt @ this time. THanks for all the help, I am surprised it went up to 3 pages and got side tracked into cars :).

if you get a really stable one and your motherboard is really good then you'll probably get around 3.6ghz.

fade2green514

e8400 will do 4.0ghz without even breakin a sweat...

I think the highest on here is 4.7ghz.

yea but a Q6600 can process multi-threaded apps more than 1.7x as fast at its average overclock... around 3.4ghz. even my crappy motherboard will overclock that much lol

DirtyD86

banned

good decision. a Q6600 and a 4870 will handle games without breaking a sweat for a long time to come

ZeroWing

Ok so here are the parts im ordering tonight, please let me know if theres a problem before I order. Ill order around 10PM. The mobo was suggested by someone on the forum so Im hoping its good :). Will it be able to support the CPU OC'ing to 3.4? If I hit 3.4Ghz will I need to replace the stock cooler on the CPU?

Q6600:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128336

The mobo had some reviews where it crapped out, I am really sick of sending stuff back to newegg and all the S/H. If anyone knows of a mobo around the same price that has a better review, better OC capable please let me know. Thanks.