Q6600 or E8400

DirtyD86

banned
Allow me to summarize this thread:

If you want a slightly slower future proof CPU that is more suited towards multitasking than gaming, go with a Q6600.

If you want balls to the wall blazing gameplay, get the E8400.

Either way, both are great processors that are well worth the money.

Thread complete !

Jerrick

Allow me to summarize this thread:

If you want a slightly slower future proof CPU that is more suited towards multitasking than gaming, go with a Q6600.

If you want balls to the wall blazing gameplay, get the E8400.

Either way, both are great processors that are well worth the money.

Thread complete !

Is the difference from slow to ball-to-the-wall only 0-2fps in gaming? Cause that's what im seeing from benchmarks and reviews. :)

Like I said earlier, I do a lot of work with audio and video, so lots of rendering, multiple programs, soft synths, vsts, extra input devices, multi-track, mastering and the list goes on, specially when adding the processes of video editing.

So thats why I choose Q6600. And I like to know that I can pop in any game and still play it perfectly, with only the smallest difference compared to another chip.

But, if you arent doing much besides gaming and general comp use, I dont see why the E8400 wouldnt be good for you. You may not even fully use both cores for quite some time if you are only gaming and doing general tasks. Internet, solitaire, etc...

Motoxrdude

Just from my personal experience, don't decide what processor to buy for gaming according to whether it is a quad or dual core. About a year and a half ago I upgraded from a Athlon 3500+ to a X2 3800+ and it didn't make a difference. It took almost a complete year for games to actually utilize the second core. As far as gaming goes I would say that it will take another year and a half for games to considerably start utilizing all 4 cores. By that time your current video card will be the bottleneck anyways. I would base your decision on whether you would need the extra two cores for running desktop applications.