Ram

canivari

What exactly is double or triple channel ram?

An ability of the memory controller to fetch data from more than one module at a time

Okay, enlighten me in this thread also. I want to learn.

If you have 2 or more physicall Rams running in single channel you still have the "ability of the memory controller to fetch data from more than one module at a time" dont you?
So for you dont say that i dont know what i am talking about heres something copied from a Wikipedia:

"Dual-channel technology was created to address the issue of bottlenecks. Increased processor speed and performance requires other, less prominent components to keep pace. In the case of dual channel design, the intended target is the memory controller, which regulates data flow between the CPU and system memory (RAM). The memory controller determines the types and speeds of RAM as well as the maximum size of each individual memory module and the overall memory capacity of the system. However, when the memory is unable to keep up with the processor, a bottleneck occurs, leaving the CPU with nothing to process. Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be susceptible to this bottleneck effect.

The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled. While the actual implementation differs between Intel and AMD motherboards, the basic theory stands."

tyttebøvs

Uhm, we are talking about how the memory controller communicates with the modules. If you put them in the same channel, the communication will be "single".

canivari

An ability of the memory controller to fetch data from more than one module at a time

Uhm, we are talking about how the memory controller communicates with the modules. If you put them in the same channel, the communication will be "single".

??????
So your quote about "An ability of the memory controller to fetch data from more than one module at a time" isnt really a module as a stick is it??

canivari

Are you here just to spam?

Well looks like i was doing fine trying to help other guys for the last few weeks and you just enter in other persons conversations and just say (no thats not correct...) and dont explain (not even give a better answer to the problems..)
So, if you were a man in the first place you should admit the first time you entered in a conversation stating that i was wrong (about having 36Bits computing...)and i show you that actually was 36Bits you should say that you were wrong and not try to run away from the questions that i made you ok?

Last edited:

tyttebøvs

You constantly speak of those 36 bits, so I spoke back. About running away... Away from what? We don't speak the same language, so ...

canivari

You constantly speak of those 36 bits, so I spoke back. About running away... Away from what? We don't speak the same language, so ...

Grow up tyttebøvs.
You just lose your self in the actuall problems of the threads.
You dont stop and actually see what other people are asking in the threads,you just assume that nothing works and nothing is possible because you never heard (or you re thinking in something else as the problem should be..)
and start using different problems that actually dont exist in the thread.
If someone ask me a lemon,i dont gonna tell him that the bananas arent very ripe today only because they are all yellow..

canivari

When the CPU is doing maths he needs a place where put the results (the first place is L1 cache and when its full he stores L2 cache and then L3 chache and after that is the RAM)
Now in the RAM usually you only got one channel to transmit data if its to recieve or send he only can do one thing at the time,in dual channel the CPU can send and recieve at the same time why? because the speed of the CPUs are much faster then the channels and when they send in single channel they have to wait to recieve some other result that was stored in the ram.
What controls the data that is recieved or sended is a small chip called MCC (memory controller chip) that usually is stored in the chipset or now on this days is inside of the CPU chip it self.
Triple channel works like dual channel and is the MCC responsible to organize how to data flows on the 3 channels at the same time.
Now tyttebøvs,why couldnt you explain ths to the guy instead of just saying "An ability of the memory controller to fetch data from more than one module at a time " ??
When you ask something to someone tyttebøvs,are looking for a an answer that you can understand or just a "short","out of nowhere answer","with no really explanation","nothing that a person could understand" answer??

jerry555

banned
If you attached higher capacity of ram like 1GB or 2GB. It will make your program run fast. Low capacity of Ram will slow down your system.