Random Shut-Down

happeharkore

My computer is randomly shutting down all of a sudden. I was sitting on it playing my game, and it just shut off. i assumed my power went out because it just shut off out of nowhere but i noticed my monitor was still on. then i look down at my tower and one of the lights is still on. but the computer makes no noise at all, just the one light is on. I'm able to boot back up, and it will stay on for about 30 minutes and then it does the same thing again. I havent messed with any of the hardware recently. any idea what is going on?

taylormsj

Same thing used to happen with me - PSU wasn't powerful enough to run my system - is there a chance that this is the case?

happeharkore

i dont really know alot about the internals of a computer. most i have ever done is installed a video card or a NIC card. how would i go about fixing this. I have an old computer around here that still works. is there anything I could take out of that one and put in this one to make it work?

taylormsj

Hook up the old power supply from that computer and see if it powers up, or try the current psu on the old ocmputer. If they work then the power supply probably isnt the problem, unless its not powerfull enough

happeharkore

well the one on my current computer works, just for like 30 minutes though :p

I was assuming that maybe something was over-heating in there. I'm gonna go see if I can get this power supply thing outta my old computer before i check out the new one.

leave me some more ideas if anyone has any while im doing this ^_^

happeharkore

well the new power supply is hooked up and its all working. now i guess i just have to see if it shuts down randomly o_O

*crosses fingers*

happeharkore

well it still just died after about 20-30 minutes. except this time my mouse just cut off about 5 minutes after it died.....

happeharkore

im not entirely sure, i just took it out of an old computer that was working fine. how would i go about figuring that out? i know on the back there was a switch and it read 115

holdenssx

Well if you took it out of an older computer it probably isn't any better or more powerful then the one in your newer computer. You might be able to find a model number on there and look it up on the internet.

happeharkore

but the computer has been working great for about a year and a half, so why would the computer all of a sudden need more power to run?

heyman421

banned
it's overheating, did you even bother checking the temps before you wasted a ton of time replacing the power supply?

It takes 2 seconds, or you could install speedfan and check it without even restarting your computer.

I'll bet you $.50 your temps are retarded high. It's hot outside, it's common sense.

happeharkore

im sorry no i didnt, i didnt get the message to do that until after i already installed the power supply, i'll install speedfan and post what it tells me

happeharkore

ok i just wrote down what it said on the front tab

Fan 1: 0 RPM
Fan 2: 0 RPM

Temp 1: -10C
Temp 2:84C (there was a lil fire next to it)
HD0: 34C
Temp 1(again): 61C (there was a lil fire next to it)

Your TEMP 2 (most often CPU temp) is very high, however, the fact that you're temp 1 is -10C indicates a misread by speedfan. Boot into BIOS and get the temps from there, to see if speedfan is accurate.

If speedfan is accurate, then a new HSF with some AS5 (arctic silver 5) should solve the problem.

happeharkore

all it says in there is:

Current CPU1 Temperature 66C/150F

that is the only temp I can find

Edit:

the temp has risen to 86C/186F

Last edited:
Is that what is says in BIOS?

Did you build this computer yourself, or have it built for you, or is it prebuilt? If you built it, what thermal paste did you use, or did you just use the stock thermal pad? What HSF did you use, or did you just use the stock one?

happeharkore

yeah, thats what it says in the BIOS. this was definatley a computer my mom bought from a coworker's BF who bought it for my mom. she says it was new when she got it.

I have no way of getting ahold of him though :-\