Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 2 star

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 star

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

DirtyD86

banned
hey guys... me, elimin8or, and teamhex have been working on a blog called contrail designs for a while now and finally have it to a point where we are ready to show it off. we are all new to blogging and are open to suggestions. give us some feedback, tell us what you like, what you think could be improved... you know how it goes :)

http://contraildesigns.com

teamhex

lol, a 4 star and 1 star rating already. at least i know you guys will be honest :D

Honest? That's horse crap. No one can give a working blog site with articles a 1.
I mean maybe a 2 if the layout sucks, but it doesn't and its easy to navigate.
People are just being douches :).
Which reminds me, I need to type an article up....

DirtyD86

banned
don't get me wrong, smiley faces make me feel all warm and fuzzy... but can you give some verbal feedback to accompany them ? :)

Mitch?

banned
looks nice, it's pretty good color scheme and layout, not enough breast, the articles i read were nice.

DirtyD86

banned
thanks for the feedback guys, i'm definitely listening to what you suggest

Mr. Johanssen i will work on incorporating more breasts into our computer articles

Vizy

Excuse my orgasmic language, but that is the sh*t people are looking for. I'm talking about the article that is on there right now. No bullcrap, straight to the point:

Buying a pre-built PC vs. Building a PC

by Elimin8or on Mar.05, 2009, under Tech

showdown

In the market for a new PC? Can’t decide whether to buy a pre-built or to just build one yourself? Want to know the pros and cons of building a computer rather than buying a pre-built? If you answered yes to any of the questions, then you must read this article.

I have spent some time at dell.com building myself a computer. Next I built one on newegg.com, as close as I could to the Dell. Here is what I came up with:

Dell:

Unknown motherboard and specifications
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz processor
GTX 280
4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
500GB SATA Hard Drive
2 16x DVD Burners
Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1
XPS Case
Unknown PSU
1 year warranty
Total: $1404 + shipping

Newegg:

MSI Motherboard, 8GB RAM support, DDR2 800MHz standard, 3 way SLi supported, 750I chipset, supports intel quad and dual cores.
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
GTX 280
4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
2 22X DVD Burners
500GB Hard Drive
Corsair 750W
Antec 900
Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1
1 year warranty on: Video Card, CPU, Motherboard, PSU, and Hard Drive
Free Game included
Total: $1334.86 shipping included
Rebates: $110
New Total: $1224.86

Looking at the specs, we see pretty much the same computers. Same processor, RAM amount, hard drive space, and video card. The first pro of building a computer is you know exactly what you are going to get. With the pre-built, you know hardly any of the brands of your parts, whereas you know all the brands when you build it yourself.

Next, look at the price. On Dell.com, you pay $1404, plus shipping. You know for a fact that you will save over $70 when you build the computer, because from Newegg.com you pay $1334.86, shipping included in the price! Now subtract the mail-in-rebates, and viola; you just saved a total of over $180!

So some of the pros for building a computer yourself are that you know what you get (brands), and its cheaper. But what are the cons? Look at the warranty. With newegg, I had to add all the warranties (no price change; the total I gave you includes warranty). On Dell.com, the one year warranty covered ALL the parts. Newegg only allowed me to cover most of the parts. Also, if you purchase a pre-built, you will have 24/7 customer service, right away. Not so with newegg. Sure, you can visit places like CopmuterForum.com for help, which there is always someone there, but it’s not right away. It’s more difficult and takes longer. But is having that available worth $180?

What about the cheaper computers? Like if you need a computer for under $400? Well, I have researched that too.

Dell.com:

Unknown motherboard and motherboard specs
Intel E5200 2.5GHz dual core processor
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (Unknown brand)
320GB SATA HDD (Unknown brand)
16X DVD Burner (Unknown brand)
Dell Keyboard/Mouse combo
Vista Basic SP1
1 year limited hardware warranty
$329 (plus shipping)

Newegg.com:
Zotac motherboard, supports up to 4GB RAM, quad-core support
Intel E5200 2.5GHz processor
2GB RAM
320GB Western Digital SATA HDD
22X DVD Burner
Vista Home Basic SP1
$328 (plus shipping, after rebates)

With this small budget, it was way closer. Now it comes down entirely on the pros and cons of each system. Again, with the prebuilt, you have 1 year warranty, and this time, the custom has no warranty. But in all honesty, you shouldn’t need the warranty. The cons with buying a prebuilt are again that you don’t know what you are getting. Also, no mouse and keyboard with the prebuilt.

The more expensive the system gets, the bigger the price difference. If you get a pre built you can be assured you know what you are getting, but you don’t get technical support and less or no warranty. My personal preference is to build computer myself. It is much more gratifying and fun then buying from the store/website. I know exactly what I am getting, and I am not worried about warranty, especially not with newegg; the customer support is absolutely great. As for technical support, I would use www.computerforum.com.

Have fun!

Adam

They should somehow sticky that onto this forum. That is the best possible thing ever. You have the specs, the prices, a perfect comparison right there. No bias bullcrap, just from the heart crap. nice job elimn8or. If any other articles on there are half as great, that website deserves to have a pc world headline or something similiar. I'm going to sig link that site.

Bravo guys!!!

DirtyD86

banned
thanks vizy, i really appreciate ya man :good:

i also thought that was a great article. like you said, there is no bias in it, just numbers and facts. elimin8or is very critical of his work but he really has some great things hes written

Dystopia

Excuse my orgasmic language, but that is the sh*t people are looking for. I'm talking about the article that is on there right now. No bullcrap, straight to the point:

They should somehow sticky that onto this forum. That is the best possible thing ever. You have the specs, the prices, a perfect comparison right there. No bias bullcrap, just from the heart crap. nice job elimn8or. If any other articles on there are half as great, that website deserves to have a pc world headline or something similiar. I'm going to sig link that site.

Bravo guys!!!

Wow, I wasn't sure it was THAT great lol. I had really been hoping to drive a point in how building a PC is better, do you guys think I did a good job with that?

Maybe my writing skills have somthing to do with loving writing and being in a writing class for 2 school years now :)

bm23

thats a pretty good layout, really like the color. although as you scroll down, it's only a black background. im not really into blogging, have only used the default template so not sure if the background thing is something that can be changed. other than that, really great blog, i like the articles. 4 stars. :D

Aastii

VIP Member
I gave it a 4 because:

1. I don't know if it just my eyes or the way i read or look at the page or something but black background+white writing makes the white splurge together and make it difficult to read and makes me dizzy from trying to concentrate on the words with them all mashed together.

I'm not working in low light or anything if someone throws that up, i know low lighting+ bright screen can cause that on just about any colour combinations, but i am sat in daylight with 2 lights on, so it is deffinately not that.

Apart from that 5*. I love the simplicity of the layout, the no shit articles that are well written. I especially like the widget on there to listen to music while you read the stuff.

It is still looking a little bare but ofcourse that is because it is a new site. I can't wait to look back in a few weeks/months and see how it has progressed and filled :D

Good work guys!!!

Oh, and i like how you plugged CP:

Also, if you purchase a pre-built, you will have 24/7 customer service, right away. Not so with newegg. Sure, you can visit places like CopmuterForum.com for help

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think the writing could be better and if you are actually trying to attract people maybe clean up the language a bit.

I also think that if you are going to compare a custom built PC versus a manufactured one you need to compare the warranty and customer service as well. There is more to just building a computer you have to support it yourself and you can't call anyone for help.

Also, if you try to RMA an individual part yourself for warranty exchange it is a huge hassle.

The article should be more in depth and evaluate all the pros and cons if you want my opinion.

Otherwise the site looks fine design wise.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Next, look at the price. On Dell.com, you pay $1404, plus shipping. You know for a fact that you will save over $70 when you build the computer, because from Newegg.com you pay $1334.86, shipping included in the price! Now subtract the mail-in-rebates, and viola; you just saved a total of over $180!
It's "voila".

This is a viola:
159px-Bratsche.jpg

Quick look at the layout and design, however, warrants a 6 at very least. Didn't have a read through the articles. though.
Voted 5 sincde I'm a nice guy ;)

/\E

It's good man... I looked over the user interface and the only thing missing is an archive menu that goes by the month and year of posts.

DirtyD86

banned
It's good man... I looked over the user interface and the only thing missing is an archive menu that goes by the month and year of posts.

there was an archive list at the bottom but i added one on the sidebar to make it more visible. thank you for the suggestion :good: