Read Write rates of RAM and HDD question

psoke

hi guys im new here i have some questions.
lets say we have a ram with 1 GB read and write speed and whe have a HDD with 100 MB read and write speed.

can RAM read 1 GB / s from HDD or HDD will not able to write to the RAM at 1 GB /s but only 100 MB /s . can you guys explain this.

i mean is it the HDD write to the RAM at 100 MB /s or RAM read from hDD at 1 GB /s . i dont understand this please help maybe it is stupid question for you but hey its not for me help me out.

beers

Staff member
If HDD can only send data at 100 MB/sec then you can't go faster than that reading data off of HDD to RAM.
If HDD can only write data at 100 MB/sec then you can't go faster than that writing data from RAM to HDD.

You might get a higher transfer rate to HDD buffer on the SATA interface at 6 Gbps (bits, about 500ish MB/sec bytes) or something similar, but any data not in the buffer is limited to that 100 MB/sec part.

psoke

tank you so much now i understand that data read and write is depends on both of them. if one of them is slower its will read or write data with slowers ones rate. but i have another question. when we load data from HDD ro RAM is HDD writing to the RAM o is it RAM reads from HDD