Reasons to get a laptop for a high school student?

ikermalli

Help picking a laptop (starting at pg 7)?

Hello,

I finally worked out a deal with my parents to let me get a laptop for $600 or less. So my grandpa wants to pay some of it and my dad doesn't mind, but my mom said she wants reasons. So I told her I wanted to take it for vacation to do school work. She said no, she said vacation is for family time (pfft... yeahh sure). Then she also said she didn't want me taking it to school because she thinks it will get stolen (note: I live in a really safe part of town). So does anyone have any reason for a high school student to get a laptop with noting the restrictions I just got?

Last edited:

Vizy

You don't need a lappy now. You have a desktop right? Do all your schoolwork on that. You should wait till college and get a nice laptop. I really don't know much about you, but that is what i would do.

ikermalli

Once I get one I know she will let me take it on vacation and stuff (we go away a lot) and I am going to give my computer to my sister because she keeps on having problems and it costs like $300+ a year just to keep it working and out of the year about 10-12 weeks it isn't working or with us.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
So does anyone have any reason for a high school student to get a laptop with noting the restrictions I just got?
Well, I got a laptop for high school (here in Australia it's caled college, is "college" something like university over in the US?). It's great, because

1. Most people (I at least) can type a lot faster than they can handwrite, meaning that taking down notes & writing up your work will be a lot more efficient.

2. I can have all my stuff on the lappy, no need for excess amounts of paper (which I tend to lose, anyways - having a laptop makes organizing stuff so much easier for me).

3. Possibilty for internet access & other tools that make your work a lot easier (our school computers, for example, have massive amounts of restrictions on what programs we can and can't use, which I like having a lappy, and also you get to use the internet outside of the computer labs if you need it).

4. You can take it with you anywhere you like - I take my laptop to the library pretty much every day so that I can do my work in quiet somewhere where there is no lack of resources (and also, because our library offers free wireless internet :D)

5. It consumes less power. I use my computer a lot and laptops by nature, designed to be energy-efficient, tend to give your electricity bill a positive change. That may be something your parents may want to consider.

ikermalli

Yeah, hackapelite, there is Elementary (kindergarten - grade 8) then there is high school (grade 9 - 12) so I guess like college for you then there is college (you get your degree in college) and there is university which has an undergrad program and some other stuff, I dont know too much about it, i am only going to college not university so no worries for me :) AND you hit the bullseye! I totally forgot, our electricity bill was like 300+ dollars more than it was before because my sister and I got some more RAM for our computers (and I was playing gears of war 2 alot) so that would definitely be a strong point, and I can hardly read my writing so the note taking is awesome! If I could find out how to give you +1 or something for rep I would do that!

gamerman4

In the US college and university are often interchangeable terms. A college is for something specific (college of arts, college of science, etc..) A university has multiple colleges on one campus. I go to UALR we have 6 different colleges on campus.
We have a College of...
-Education
-Business
-Engineering and Information Technology
-Arts, Humanities, & Social Sciences
-Professional Studies
-Science & Mathematics
map: http://www.ualr.edu/www/features/map/interactive_map.html

High School here in the US is the end of secondary education as a student. Colleges and Universities (and Trade Schools) are considered "Higher/Further Education"

Anyways, there really isn't much of a reason to need a laptop for high school. I only just got my own laptop as a Freshman in College. (My first laptop was sold so I could get my Q6600, i didn't need the lappy anyways)

Last edited:

gamerman4

Haha, mind editing the post and giving me some reasons? Haha, just joking, I didn't know that, thanks for the info

It's not that I have reasons against it, its just that as long as you have a desktop, I can't think of any reason in support of buying a laptop. Now if you didn't have a desktop, it would be different.
Also, regardless of how many reasons I give that go against getting a laptop, you are going to get one anyways.

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
In the US college and university are often interchangeable terms.
Sort of like highschool and college over here, I suppose. We have primary school (grades 1-6), secondary school (college, grades 7-12), and then university/TAFE (TAFEs here are like trade schools).

dznutz

i don't know what your school is like but having a laptop at the highschools around where i live will get you jumped. stick it in your locker and it'll be gone. wait till college and it will be faster/cheaper

gamerman4

Sort of like highschool and college over here, I suppose. We have primary school (grades 1-6), secondary school (college, grades 7-12), and then university/TAFE (TAFEs here are like trade schools).

Exactly, I actually wiki'd the Australian education system so I could better understand the system over there. Your system is very similar to the one here in the US, we have 12 grades that make up the mandatory education everyone has to receive which you finish by the time you're around 18 and then you can either get a job, go to college, or go to a trade school......or veg out and live with your parents until you get your act together (provided your parents don't just change the locks on you)

ikermalli

I'm giving my sister my desktop once I get the laptop, so really I wont have a working desktop for myself and that is one of my reasons.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
stick it in your locker and it'll be gone.
That's weird, I've never had stuff stolen from my locker. I've never heard of anyone having their stuff stolen from lockers for that matter... maybe it's because I'm in a senior college with only students from years 11&12, and they're a little more mature than your average 9-grade wannabe gangsters...

ikermalli

The only gangsters in my school are in grade 11, one is alright with my friend so I am fine (he is a crip) and one wanna be so it should be fine. Plus I would keep it in my bag which I have with me all the time

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
Well as long as your not a blood then I'd say its safe.

You gotta be careful around those 16 year old gang-bangers.

ikermalli

lol, I am not in a gang at all, there is one blood in my school, a few crips and some other random gang people, but they dont do anything in school, because my friends brother knows them so they dont do anything. And also I need it for school, but my mom is kinda not keen on that.