WIndows 10 Rebuilding my Old PC-Compability Issues or bad part?

chiquito3

This is an old PC that I'm upgrading the most important parts:
mobo: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 (at latest BIOS (2.30) New
GPU: XFX Radeon RX580 Black Edition 8GB (second hand from eBay)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G5 New
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 New

When I first try to install the OS (Win10) the pc worked until the OS automatically install a GPU driver. I decided to reinstall win10 again but to make the os not to automatically update drivers so I could update the OS to the latest updates so I could activate the OS from my Microsoft account. I did all this because the AMD website suggests that the OS should be at the latest updates before installing the drivers. Everything worked until I installed the latest AMD drivers for my new mobo and the GPU. After installing them the video signal stopped and the keyboard and mouse also
turned off or could not wake the screen. The only thing left to do is a reset and then it worked for about 3 minutes or less. What do you think is the problem?

Link to PSU tester results. (Is it bad?)
http://imgur.com/gallery/pOPH5vW

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would suspect this may be a grounding issue between motherboard and case. Did you install the standoffs correctly between motherboard and case? correct amount and in the correct spots? I really don't see how installing updated drivers will cause system instability such as this unless it has something to do with buying this card second hand. If you install another card and it works like it should then you can safely assume something is wrong with that video card.

chiquito3

I would suspect this may be a grounding issue between motherboard and case. Did you install the standoffs correctly between motherboard and case? correct amount and in the correct spots? I really don't see how installing updated drivers will cause system instability such as this unless it has something to do with buying this card second hand. If you install another card and it works like it should then you can safely assume something is wrong with that video card.
I've been thinking that it should be other thing than the GPU. That is one great suggestion. I will check that and let you know.

chiquito3

I followed you suggestion but the same thing happened. Got the bsod saying "video tdr failure".

chiquito3

Checked that the standoff and the ground holes were all connected correctly. I do mot have other card to try.

chiquito3

Hello guys. Seems it was a bad GPU or some kind of incompatibility. I changed the Radeon RX580 for a Vega 56 and this one is working great. Thanks for all your advices