Recall on all Sandy Bridge Motherboards

spynoodle

^Just heard about this today. Ouch, although it may not hurt their sales too much, it's really going to hurt their rep.

tech savvy

anyone know when they are going to reship them back out?i was putting my order tho this friday,think god they recalled it befor i order it.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I like the way Intel double talks.

Early in the article

Intel mentioned that after it had built over 100,000 chipsets (it started to get some complaints from its customers about failures). Early last week Intel duplicated and confirmed the failure in house.

Then later in the article.

Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by end users.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
This is not going to be fun... I know I sold two systems today with Sandybridge... Of course we're going to be to blame for any problems.

Jet

VIP Member
Kudos to you for the first post, Whitetree--I just quickly put this thread up and hadn't seen yours! (Mod, can you merge the threads?)

WhiteTree

I like the title and location of Jet's thread better, so if they are merged, merge them that way. :)

[edit] Hmm, I'm not sure how that would work actually, considering the posting times of the threads...

Last edited:

Mishkin

Wow. It would be bad enough to simply have to recall all Sandy Bridge motherboards, but the planned re-ship date is late February?

Glad I'm going with AMD. Jesus.

jamesd1981

i think its a disgrace intel are trying to get off with the cheap fix, instead of return and brand new replacement, they are planning to repair the affected boards by unsoldering the flawed chipset and replacing it with the new chipset.

The word of the day is botch

Aastii

VIP Member
Wow. It would be bad enough to simply have to recall all Sandy Bridge motherboards, but the planned re-ship date is late February?

Glad I'm going with AMD. Jesus.

You have to remember that the mobo manufacturers have to make enough as soon as possible to meet demends before they ship them. Basically, all the stockpile they had is now crap, they can salvage it all by resoldering the new chips on, which would be simple enough, as it is an identical chip, just minus 1 transistor, but would be very time consuming, hence the wait

Mishkin

You have to remember that the mobo manufacturers have to make enough as soon as possible to meet demends before they ship them. Basically, all the stockpile they had is now crap, they can salvage it all by resoldering the new chips on, which would be simple enough, as it is an identical chip, just minus 1 transistor, but would be very time consuming, hence the wait

Yeah, I suppose late February could probably be considered a short timeframe to do this. I guess I wasn't so much surprised at the tentative date of the reshipment as I was wowed by the recall itself, and what that means for the Intel side of things, along with the length of time that Intel Sandy Bridge will effectively be ground to a halt.

When was the last time a big motherboard or cpu (the important things) recall happened in the PC world?