gunmetalTrevan

This is what I have now:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
GPU: HIS HD 7850 2gb
RAM: 4gb DDR2 800mhz (Max my mobo)
Mobo: p5kpl-cm
HDD: 2 SATAs, 1TB & 160GB, both 7200rpm
PSU: TR2 600watt

Okay, so I just bought my GPU a few months ago. When I got it, I was somewhat satisfied, but as time went on, it seemed like my framerate increased. However, now I'm starting to see issues with it- like it isn't performing as it should. Someone said it might be my PSU, but I have no idea. I turned down the tessellation in CCC, and that gave me a big framerate boost with close to nothing lost in quality in misc benchmarks, but games like Assassin's Creed 2 drop down to 25fps all the time, and it seems like it shouldn't. BF3 would almost NEVER go below 30fps, but now that only happens if I turn mesh quality on low (I don't know what it is, but again, close to nothing is lost in quality).

So here's what I'm thinking- In 2 weeks, I'm going to have something like $500 - $600. Some things in my computer (Motherboard and Ram especially) bother me just because they exist and I know I need an upgrade. I would really like a new motherboard, but getting a practical one would mean I need a new CPU (and new ram?), which may be better, but is even more money.

I thought of maybe just going crossfire with a new 775 mobo that supports it, but I think I may regret that in the long run because I'll still have an outdated mobo and, well, crossfire is usually regretted in the long run.

This PSU looks decent, plus it's very cheap!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148046

I'm having trouble finding an LGA7750 mobo that supports crossfire, so I think I'm going to have to get new things. Any further suggestions? I've seen people make gaming computers for as low as $265, so hopefully I'll be able to upgrade at a decent price;)

Thanks.

wolfeking

banned
if you want to improve on the Q6600, then you will need a i5 and a 1155 motherboard. I would say a 2500k and a UD3H from Gigabyte.

That board will do crossfire just fine.

The PSU you linked is garbage. Get one from Antec, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, OCZ, NZXT, Seasonic, Silverstone, or XFX only.

gunmetalTrevan

Okay, thanks for the PSU recommendation. I found a 650 watt Antec for $79.99 on newegg.

I would go with the Intel and that motherboard, but my budget is a bit less than that. Also, will I be able to crossfire my 7850 with any other 7850, or does it have to be HIS?

Here is what I have put together:
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130637
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

I don't see the problem with going AMD, but others do. It is much cheaper.

jonnyp11

can you see if you live near a microcenter, they have good deals on the motherboard and processor.

And if you get one of the oem processors you keep linking you know they don't have a cooler so a aftermarket one is required.

gunmetalTrevan

Sorry, I don't live near a microcenter. The closest one is a couple hundred miles south :p.
Okay, so this msi mothernoard, AMD CPU, and the Antec PSU will all be okay with the 7850 Crossifre? And since it's a new chipset, will I have to reinstall windows? What happens if I don't reinstall? Plus, will I have to format my main drive? Thanks for the fast help so far :D.

wolfeking

banned
you will have to reinstall, or you will be bootlooped with BSODs. And if you have OEM windows you will need a new copy.

gigabiteme

wolfking mentioned some power supply units- is thermaltake 850w
anygood in your opinion- i just ordered one-it was on sale
also i just built a system with gigabyte 990xa mobo-very easy to work with
also dual bios-mite come in handy-and very easy bios update procedure works
well

jonnyp11

wolfking mentioned some power supply units- is thermaltake 850w
anygood in your opinion- i just ordered one-it was on sale
also i just built a system with gigabyte 990xa mobo-very easy to work with
also dual bios-mite come in handy-and very easy bios update procedure works
well

Thermaltakes aren't great, i don't think they are as bad as others but they aren't even close to corsair or even OCZ (ocz is the lowest quality that we will recommend and we generally stay away from them, but they do offer good budget modular power supplies)

kdfresh09

to OP. i wouldnt waste any time or money on any phenom II cpu, as its really no upgrade over the q6600. the architecture on both the Phenom II and core 2 quad, are pretty much the same performance wise. if you really want an upgrade that will show its face, then id get at a 1155 socket motherboard for sure, and if your tight on funds, go for a i3 dual core with hyper threading, until you can get a better cpu. the i3 should be close to your q6600, or better. and for games, it will do just fine. but honostly, id try to get an i5 off the get go, so your not wasting $100+ on a cpu that your going to replace anyways.

so if your aiming on a upgrade thats worth while over the currnet q6600 you have, i feel an i series cpu and socket 1155 board, with 8gigs of ddr3 1600 minimum. this will be your best bet if you really want something thats better than you already have. a phenom II will just be a disappointment since you already are working with that kind of performance. and i dont really think the fx cpu's by amd are worth getting into right now.

gunmetalTrevan

I'm not really into going to dual core from quad if I get an i3 temporarily. The CPU isn't really something I'm too worried about- I mainly wanted more updated parts and some more performance with the crossfire. I am going to grab 8gb of ram since it's only $45, but I still don't know about the 1155. As much as I want it (honestly, I really do), I don't know if it's as much of a priority right now. I know with a 1155 motherboard, I can have a great Cpu in the future, but the cheapest one I can find is $40 more and isn't even quad core- plus the motherboard costs more. Even if I get an, say, i3 2100, would it be THAT much faster than that Phenom II in games?

kdfresh09

id say that the i3 2100 is ABOUT on par with the phenom quad, when it comes to games, if the game is using all the cores/threads. if a game is only using 2 cores, than the i3 will beat the phenom all day. but the bigger picture here, is that your going to get eqaul/better performance with the intrl setup, even ig you go with the i3 to start out with. but even more so, you will have a solid upgrade path for later, and your system will give you better performance. i was using a q6700 clocked at 3.2Ghz,and a phenom II 1090t 3.2Ghz with my gtx 480, and it was pretty descent. but then i went to an i5 clocked at 3Ghz, and i gained about 15 fps, so i know that by simoly going to a 1155 platform with even a i3 for now, will give you better performance in the cpu arrea as well as the gpu area. if you get a 2nd card, then an i5 would be mandatory to eliminate any bottleneck from running cossfire. a phenom II would bottleneck a crossfire setup with the cards your using i believe. i say this cuz i was also running that 1090t with 2 x gtx 470's in sli, and when i ran them on the i5 platform, they opened right up., so...for sure, you should go withan intel setup and spend the extra coin on it. it will be worth it hands down, and you will be happy you did, cuz what fun is it to upgrade a system, and still get the same performance. its kind of like throwing money away.

Last edited:

gunmetalTrevan

After getting home and looking beyond the two pci-e slots, I know I do NOT want that board.

I did find another, however- and it's actually cheaper http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135279

I know one of the pci-e slots is x4, but the performance lost isn't too significant, and I don't plan on overclocking much, so this board thould he fine for me regardless. When I think about my budget, I thinking should just get this, an i5 2400, that psu, and 8gb 1600 ddr3 ram now, and the second 7850 later. How much of an upgrade would this be, and how do I know if my Windows 7 disc IS OEM?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't get the ECS board as they aren't the best. MSI, Gigabyte and Asus are your more popular brands.

The product key label on the case will be labeled as OEM.