Refrigerated Computer?

JDV28

Would it be possible to take a small rerigeration unit from some sort of cooling device, and put it into a computer?

hpvista

Umm, thats a good question. My guess is that it would be, but you would need quite a bit of power and some way to connect it to the motherboard.

CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.2 GHZ (soon to be Intel core 2 quad q8200)
RAM: 3GB PC2-5300 500MHZ (I think) (crappiest RAM ever)
GPU: EVGA Geforce 9800 GT 512MB (stays really cool at 50 Degrees when under stress)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 400GB 7200RPM (runs at 5300RPM because my MOBO can’t support 7200)
DVD: Toshiba 16x DVD burner with Lightscribe
PSU: Coolermaster Stock 460W (no idea how it supports my rig)
Monitor: LG 19” LCD Monitor
Mouse: Razer Copperhead 2000 DPI
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II
Sound: Harmon/Kardon 2.1 Stereo Speakers with 5-inch Subwoofer
Printer: HP Deskjet D2530
Card reader: 16 in 1 card reader held in 5.25” drive with a block of cedar wood

bomberboysk

Well, it would need to be the compressor from an a/c unit as the compressor in a refridgerator isnt meant to run 24/7. Then you would need to make yourself a coldplate and whatnot, i know there are some guides somewhere out on the internet.

just a noob

you couldn't really do the whole computer, just a cpu with a phase change unit, or everything that could be watercooled with a waterchiller, and a refridgerator wouldn't work, as it would just burn out the compressor, people have tried it with a freezer, and it has caused the freezer to fail, for more information regarding this subject, look here

BigSteve702

you'd definitely run into condensation problems. i think the most logical way would be to grab a mini fridge, drill a couple holes at the top and route lines through it, put a radiator in it or get some copper tubes to run through a bowl of water, and have your computer watercooled. basically just run the radiator into the mini fridge and have everything else normal. id try and get insulation tubing of some sort around your tubes in the computer so you wouldnt hit any condensation issues too. might help the compressor in it a bit if you completely stocked the fridge with water bottles to keep the temp in there cold for longer, i think that'd run the compressor less

bomberboysk

you'd definitely run into condensation problems. i think the most logical way would be to grab a mini fridge, drill a couple holes at the top and route lines through it, put a radiator in it or get some copper tubes to run through a bowl of water, and have your computer watercooled. basically just run the radiator into the mini fridge and have everything else normal. id try and get insulation tubing of some sort around your tubes in the computer so you wouldnt hit any condensation issues too. might help the compressor in it a bit if you completely stocked the fridge with water bottles to keep the temp in there cold for longer, i think that'd run the compressor less

No, because then if its a cheap one its only like a 50watt TEC, and if its a compressor based one you will end up overheating the compressor as its not meant to run 24/7. Plus there will still be condensation problems.

laznz1

No, because then if its a cheap one its only like a 50watt TEC, and if its a compressor based one you will end up overheating the compressor as its not meant to run 24/7. Plus there will still be condensation problems.

why would you run it 24/7 ...

if the computer parts into a air tight container with only the cords coming out then the fridge would only run if the thermostat went to high so it wouldn't be on all the time

just a noob

you're forgetting that computers are constantly putting out heat, unlike food, which doesn't, if you don't beleive me, go ahead and try it for yourself, there's also a way of insulating your motherboard to prevent condensation

bomberboysk

why would you run it 24/7 ...

if the computer parts into a air tight container with only the cords coming out then the fridge would only run if the thermostat went to high so it wouldn't be on all the time

Because the computer is 24/7 producing heat, and second the heat load would probably be much too high for a refridgerator anyhow, not to mention how much warmer your room will get and then of course the condensation.

El DJ

With all this controversy, someone should test it.
Get an old junker and stick it in a mini fridge.

laznz1

all you'd do is put a thermostat into the fridge so when its hit certain temp turn off and when it gets to a certain temp turns back on it would cause fluctuation in temp in the computer but its possible

bomberboysk

all you'd do is put a thermostat into the fridge so when its hit certain temp turn off and when it gets to a certain temp turns back on it would cause fluctuation in temp in the computer but its possible

In a sealed environment the "refridgerator" would get warm within 1-2minutes, and the pump would keep cycling. The cycle time of a compressor is 3min or so, so you would kill the pump pretty soon. Another thing is that if you use a tec you are getting almost no cooling(50w tec is about the largest TEC they use in a minifridge).

laznz1

well maybe not so good with a normal refrigerator but if you were to modify the compressor aka add a bigger tank

bomberboysk

well maybe not so good with a normal refrigerator but if you were to modify the compressor aka add a bigger tank

Still, you are just asking for failure when you keep modifiying. The best stable temps would be achieved via a case that has a vapochill cpu cooler built in for sub-ambient, or just getting a high end watercooling setup for ambient temperature cooling.

laznz1

modifying a Compressor is easy as anything i probably fix one once or twice a week for work it wouldn't take much to swap out the tank to say a 9KG LPG gas tank i think they can take 250PSI which would be more the sufficient it could be done for 100 or so NZD

laznz1

I think we are talking about two different things here... its not an air compressor, its a refrigerant compressor...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigeration

lol i know what it is and more importantly i know how they work and have played with them before and i think this is entirely possible sure it wouldn't be as simple as tossing a comp into the fridge you need some heavy modification if i had the time id look at building one