Refrigerated Computer?

bomberboysk

lol i know what it is and more importantly i know how they work and have played with them before and i think this is entirely possible sure it wouldn't be as simple as tossing a comp into the fridge you need some heavy modification if i had the time id look at building one

Yeah, but still, anybody who would put that much work and cost(refridgerant is expensive) into something, when you can get a vapochill that would be more reliable and better. The idea is sound, but as mythbusters would say:
"Plausible but insane"

laznz1

Yeah, but still, anybody who would put that much work and cost(refridgerant is expensive) into something, when you can get a vapochill that would be more reliable and better. The idea is sound, but as mythbusters would say:
"Plausible but insane"

i must disagree again logically
(price in NZD)
2nd Hand Fridge - $70
LPG Gas Tank 9KG - $20 (through work)

i have the rest of the tools so i reckon if i got $150 (50 for trouble shotting) i could be done

bomberboysk

i must disagree again logically
(price in NZD)
2nd Hand Fridge - $70
LPG Gas Tank 9KG - $20 (through work)

i have the rest of the tools so i reckon if i got $150 (50 for trouble shotting) i could be done

Im talking about the refrigerant for it... Around here unless you get large quantity R-134 its pretty expensive...

laznz1

Im talking about the refrigerant for it... Around here unless you get large quantity R-134 its pretty expensive...

again i could possible get that at a cheaper price through work or Dad's work

but i must agree to the fact to most people it would be improbable but still possible

bomberboysk

again i could possible get that at a cheaper price through work or Dad's work

but i must agree to the fact to most people it would be improbable but still possible

Yeah, i dont wanna get a T sized(i think thats what it is) cylinder of R-134, true it would be plausible... but i wouldnt see it being worth it, and i think im prolly feeling the same opinion you are here, it would be cool if it worked, but it would just be too much work for too little return.

laznz1

Yeah, i dont wanna get a T sized(i think thats what it is) cylinder of R-134, true it would be plausible... but i wouldnt see it being worth it, and i think im prolly feeling the same opinion you are here, it would be cool if it worked, but it would just be too much work for too little return.

agreed MYTHBUSTERS we gotta myth for you lol

ScOuT

VIP Member
You can do anything if you have the right tools and get everything together.

It would be a pain with the condensation. I can almost garentee you that will be an issue.

I saw a guy who had a 240mm radiator for his liquid cooling mounted on the back of his case. When he was overclocking the rig he would un bolt it and drop it into a bucket of icewater. His temps would drop like 30c in seconds! very easy to do and cost effective:)

tlarkin

VIP Member
I would almost say seal the case completely, make it air tight. Remove all fans, and you may have to build a separate area for drives with movable parts. However, if you can find a non conductive thick liquid, which has a very high freezing point, and fill up an air tight computer case with it, along with some insulation to keep it cold, you may be able cost effectively keep it cold with a smaller refrigeration unit.

Of course then you have a case filled with liquid, which depending on what liquid you use could be very expensive, and then on top of that it would weigh a freaking ton.

Not really that plausible, but I would say not impossible. However, you would have to be doing some serious over clocking to go to that extent.

The servers that run Google Earth don't even run that hot and those things crunch all that 3D data in real time.

laznz1

You can do anything if you have the right tools and get everything together.

It would be a pain with the condensation. I can almost garentee you that will be an issue.

I saw a guy who had a 240mm radiator for his liquid cooling mounted on the back of his case. When he was overclocking the rig he would un bolt it and drop it into a bucket of icewater. His temps would drop like 30c in seconds! very easy to do and cost effective:)

was that on you tube?

Yeti

VIP Member
laznz1 said:
well maybe not so good with a normal refrigerator but if you were to modify the compressor aka add a bigger tank
What exactly will this tank accomplish?